HobbyKing Fox EPO Glider 2.32M - Page 115 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Jan 08, 2013, 10:01 AM
OpenTX University Staff
maguro's Avatar
The Fox was in sight for me when my son lost it behind the tree. He stopped the video at that point, and resumed when I came back in his view. He missed the Fox doing a loop and a roll. Oh we'll.

My fox is a V2. I kept it stock except I carved some foam out of the fuse so I could move the battery back about 1 1/2 inches. The Fox thermals best with the CG is back at 50 mm aft of the wing leading edge. I used a 2200 mah battery, and needed to add 3/4 oz of lead to the tail to get the CG right. I also added wide red stripes to the bottom of the wings to aid visibility at altitude. It works.

I have a couple of late 1970s sailplanes converted to electric power: a 2.5M Multiplex Flamingo and a 3M Graupner Cirrus. They are great flying sailplanes, but I find the Fox a much easier plane to fly, especially in gusty winds. It is a surprisingly good thermalling plane as well. It is fun to fly.

If you have a V1 Fox, you should look in this thread for some good mods. FMS incorporated the important ones in V2. You can tell the difference in versions by looking at the pilot. A V1 pilot is a bug eyed armless bust. A V2 pilot has outstretched arms, and normal eyes.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 08, 2013, 10:22 AM
Slow Flyer
Bombay's Avatar
Quote:
If you have a V1 Fox, you should look in this thread for some good mods. FMS incorporated the important ones in V2. You can tell the difference in versions by looking at the pilot. A V1 pilot is a bug eyed armless bust. A V2 pilot has outstretched arms, and normal eyes.
Not sure this is a good indicator for the Fox in general, but may be for the specific HK versions (which this thread is named). For instance, my Nitroplanes Fox appears to be a V1, but has a pilot with outstretched arms...and sunglasses on. :-)
Jan 08, 2013, 11:26 AM
Space Coast USA
hoppy's Avatar
For sure.
My Nitro Fox is version 1 with a pilot with no sunglasses, no arms and very heavy.
Jan 20, 2013, 12:33 PM
Registered User
for glider fox :

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0kv_420w_.html

You recommend??????????

tank`s
Jan 20, 2013, 01:31 PM
Space Coast USA
hoppy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by F22raptor2012
That motor is almost twice the kv of the stock motor which is 750kv. I'd look for something in the 750-850kv range. You'd have to really reduce the size of the prop with that motor. In addition, be careful about motor weight. That plane is nose heavy as it comes and adding any weight to the nose would be undesirable. I don't know the weight of the stock motor so I can't say if the motor you selected is heavier than the stock or not.
Last edited by hoppy; Jan 20, 2013 at 07:37 PM.
Jan 20, 2013, 04:15 PM
Registered User
Actually, most Fox EPO gliders that use the recommended 2200 mah battery is nose heavy. People can't get the battery back far enough and have to add weight to the tail to make it balance.
This is the better replacement motor: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_750kv.html
Jan 20, 2013, 04:51 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy
That motor is almost twice the kv of the stock motor which is 750kv. I'd look for something in the 750-850kv range. You'd have to really reduce the size of the prop with that motor. In addition, be careful about motor weight. That plane is tail heavy as it comes and adding any weight to the nose would be undesirable. I don't know the weight of the stock motor so I can't say if the motor you selected is heavier than the stock or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper
Actually, most Fox EPO gliders that use the recommended 2200 mah battery is nose heavy. People can't get the battery back far enough and have to add weight to the tail to make it balance.
This is the better replacement motor: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_750kv.html
tank`s motor Turnigy L3010C-1300kv Weight (g)87

I want to be a strong engine and good brands

You recommend?
Jan 20, 2013, 04:56 PM
Registered User
hoppy,

I think you meant nose heavy, because al the guys I know had to put lead in the tail (about 10 grams). Installing the servos in the tail was a way to compensate this (and to get rid of sloppy control surface movement to of course)
Steve
Jan 20, 2013, 05:04 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by F22raptor2012
tank`s motor Turnigy L3010C-1300kv Weight (g)87

I want to be a strong engine and good brands

You recommend?
Read what Hoppy posted. That motor will spin too fast. You'll have to change the prop size significantly.
Jan 20, 2013, 05:13 PM
Registered User

I got my engine so I use a Fox glider?


http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_1000kv.html
Jan 20, 2013, 07:20 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by F22raptor2012

I got my engine so I use a Fox glider?


http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_1000kv.html
Sorry, I do not understand what you're trying to say. The Fox Glider that is featured in this thread comes with an engine. It is a 750kv motor. If you have a different Fox Glider, then it will require a different motor.
Jan 20, 2013, 07:40 PM
Space Coast USA
hoppy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo0476
hoppy,

I think you meant nose heavy, because al the guys I know had to put lead in the tail (about 10 grams). Installing the servos in the tail was a way to compensate this (and to get rid of sloppy control surface movement to of course)
Steve
LOL...Just now.I was out in the garage watching the football game and glanced over at my FOX and seeing the lead in the tail realized I had misspoke. Glad someone reads my posts.
Jan 21, 2013, 09:51 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy
LOL. Glad someone reads my posts.
That's the best proof, insert a HOAX in to a thread now and then

Cheers

Steve
Jan 21, 2013, 10:36 AM
Space Coast USA
hoppy's Avatar
Just got back from flying the FOX. Back in the garage it will go till I forget how fast it comes down. That relatively heavy wing loading just doesn't allow it to stay up long under non-thermal conditions. It looks great in the air but for "floating" I much prefer my Sky Climber.

Anyone else have those feelings or is it just me?
Jan 23, 2013, 12:52 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy
Just got back from flying the FOX. Back in the garage it will go till I forget how fast it comes down. That relatively heavy wing loading just doesn't allow it to stay up long under non-thermal conditions. It looks great in the air but for "floating" I much prefer my Sky Climber.

Anyone else have those feelings or is it just me?
Yup on that. I have never seen the Fox GAIN altitude. Although the thermals where I fly are generally weak and hard to find I have managed 1 hour flights on a 1000mah pack in a lighter bird.
The Fox is a fun plane to fly but it's always coming down.

Kerry


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini-Review FOX ST-Model /Kyosho /Hype /Ripmax 1.8m /71" EPO PnP/RTF BL/ Glider McMoron Electric Sailplanes 428 Dec 03, 2015 02:43 AM
New Product HobbyKing Minimoa 2mtr R/C Glider EPO w/ Motor, ESC, Servos Plug-n-Fly Bowerz Electric Sailplanes 8 Jul 29, 2015 10:28 AM
Discussion HobbyKing 3D 30" EPO Yak 54 Bowerz 3D Foamies 39 May 07, 2011 12:39 AM
Sold WindRider Fox EPP Glider $60 + Shipping ShoGinn Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 1 Aug 23, 2010 10:21 PM
Discussion St model fox glider Staudacher600 Electric Sailplanes 2 Aug 04, 2010 11:42 PM