Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Old Sep 04, 2010, 12:00 AM
Find More Posts by Low Pass
Some epoxy & it flies again...
Wow, a lot of nice details. I don't build airliners, but i like your flaps and ailerons.
How do you make the hole pattern?
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2010, 12:05 AM
Find More Posts by SilentHunter
Oh the "rivets"? I use a simple tool made from a 1" diameter toothed gear. I'll show picts of it soon.

I weighed one wing panel with flaps etc, so far is .2 lbs, or ~4 oz. not bad!
Old Sep 04, 2010, 01:26 PM
Find More Posts by kimhey
Very nice!
Old Sep 04, 2010, 09:28 PM

Spoilers

Figured out the spoilers today. Figuring it out was the hard part. The first wing panel took 4 hours,The 2nd wing panel took 30 minutes All this info will be on the plans and instructions.

Pretty easy to do and good working mechanisim. Made form servo horns, and music wire and some screws. The horns come with HXT-900 servos, so they are the preferred servo for this plane! There is a tiny monofilament fishing line that attaches to the spoilers and the horn, this keeps them closed tight. So the arm itself opens them, and the line closes them tight.

Also the spoilers staggered, so the outboard opens first, then the inboard. This allows the outboards to be used to augment roll control like the big boys.

The spoilers themselves are made form 1/16 balsa, with semi-gloss posterpaper covering bonded with medium CA. The CA gets spread on the wood in a uniform film, then you mist accellerator on the dull side of the poster paper, and bond. Then cut out the spoiler panels from this laminant

Video of spoilers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xseo-lg26gE
Last edited by SilentHunter; Sep 04, 2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2010, 09:39 PM
Also I have modded the plans, the inboard flaps will be longer by about 35mm towards the fuselage. Im leaving prototype as is though.
Last edited by SilentHunter; Sep 04, 2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2010, 12:14 AM
Find More Posts by Flexserve
Avoid The Ground!
Holy cow! Very Nice!
Old Sep 05, 2010, 03:50 AM

Wingtips and aileron covers

Aileron covers made from posterboard. Wingtips just depron. I ran wires to the wingtips for nav, landing and logo lights that shine on the tail Airliner gotta have it!

Old Sep 05, 2010, 04:30 AM

Flap interconnect

Well thats what I call the trim piece between the two flaps Wonder what its real name is.

Posterboard covered with aluminum tape, and bonded to the outboard flap. "Gluing" is when you slather goop on something and stick it in place. Bonding is when you sand, clean and prep the two surfaces and apply adhesive

Last edited by SilentHunter; Sep 05, 2010 at 04:44 AM.
Old Sep 05, 2010, 05:16 AM
Here is what will be revised to the wing in the plans. The wing tip chord is ~10mm wider than scale as shown. Yep thats me cheating in wing area lol. If you think I should change the plans to 100% scale let me know your opinion.

Last edited by SilentHunter; Sep 05, 2010 at 06:29 AM.
Old Sep 05, 2010, 05:45 PM
Find More Posts by BK 1125
just a modeler
Nice Rick!
Old Sep 06, 2010, 01:31 AM
Find More Posts by Rudi
Very nice. Follow your build very close !

Rudi
Old Sep 06, 2010, 07:26 PM
Find More Posts by Flexserve
Avoid The Ground!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentHunter View Post
Here is what will be revised to the wing in the plans. The wing tip chord is ~10mm wider than scale as shown. Yep thats me cheating in wing area lol. If you think I should change the plans to 100% scale let me know your opinion.

I don't think the extra area on flaps and spoilers is going to help much more. However, a bigger wing chord tip could be benificial seeing the MD-80 has some skinny wings as is.
Old Sep 06, 2010, 10:11 PM
Yeah true, its mostly a scale thing with the flap and spoiler extension.

Painted the wing tops with water based polyurethane a few coats sanding in between. Sprayed on the finish colors, light grey and aluminum. Later on more detail can be added.

Fairings for the flap hinges
Old Sep 07, 2010, 04:14 AM
Find More Posts by PANTHERFLYR
Retired C-5 Flight Engineer
Dude, you truly have some skills! Awesome build! When will the kit be available??
Old Sep 07, 2010, 02:07 PM
Thanks, but actually this is pretty easy building wise. Anyone with some experience will have no probs.

The "kit" will be plans, templates instructions and some parts like the nose, tail and engine nacelles and some other special parts that i will make. So its a short kit really.

As for when, it'll be done when its done