Aug 31, 2010, 12:55 PM
nick 30
Thread OP
Discussion

miss thriftway too build

been doing this over the last 6 months (on and off)

all i had was some very basic plans, some of the parts did'nt fit together properly so some adjusting and modifying was needed, i may just give it a high gloss varnish but i need to epoxy/resin the whole boat and FB where all the hardware etc will be going

if anyone know's where i can get a cowl, it will be much appreciated for any suggestions or link's

btw - i've measured the hull to be 36" so will take some power to move it
to remove ads between posts
Aug 31, 2010, 02:54 PM
Looking good bud,see you can build a boat LOL
Aug 31, 2010, 03:03 PM
nick 30
Thread OP
LOL, cheers daz, i knew i could from plans but when its of the top of my head (like your boats) i cant do it
Aug 31, 2010, 07:45 PM
I feel the need for speed!
Nice Nick! Didnt know you were a builder, thought F1 was the resident one.........
Aug 31, 2010, 07:53 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Lookin good Nick. Is that balsa or ply you're using? The grain looks a lot like balsa to me.
Sep 01, 2010, 01:35 AM
nick 30
Thread OP
thanks scorp

(i can suprise people) i have plans for MTB's aswell which i will be starting during the winter, thought i'd start scratch building as i need to jump into it, buying empty hulls and filling them gets you so far, this way shows real experience

thanks bill

yes, its balsa, 4mm to be exact, wanted light but stiff, once resined/epoxied, it will be stronger and stiffer, going to add support to the stringers etc in the goodie's area

daz can't hold the top spot forever LOL, i thought i'd just give it a go, i may keep it or i may sell it once it's complete, i have'nt decided yet
Sep 01, 2010, 04:07 AM
nick 30
Thread OP
started applying the resin inside and out so will post pic's when its all cured
Sep 01, 2010, 05:12 AM
LOL who cant
Only kidding bud,i wouldnt sell it run it and have some fun with it after all that effort
the only thing i would comment on is i would of used light to skin it,stiffer,stronger and just as light as ply.
Sep 01, 2010, 05:57 AM
nick 30
Thread OP
theres so many sharp angle's on the belly that i want to keep them, thats why i put resin on the outside, FG will be on the inseide where the motor etc goes, will FB the motor mount in once i have it all, more bloody money out the window on another build

just forked out for an 80a esc for the hydro as the 120a is going back in the red mono as thats sorted now
Sep 01, 2010, 06:01 AM
you can still keep sharp angles with the light ply,if not sharper.
Sep 01, 2010, 06:38 AM
nick 30
Thread OP
i use a wooden block with sandpaper around it to keep the sharp edge's
Sep 01, 2010, 07:07 AM
I would suggest lite ply to skin the sponson bottoms, or fiberglass cloth with the resin. Resin alone doesn't add much strength at all, it just seals the wood.
Sep 01, 2010, 12:54 PM
nick 30
Thread OP

few updated photo's

the bottoms all sealed up and will FG when i can do it, as you can see, got half the boat FG'd problem is, i've run out of hardner (catalyst) got the resin but thought i had some more, will get some tomorow

decided (as i can't find any) to make my own cowl with either the allison or merlin V12 incorporated into it
Sep 01, 2010, 01:33 PM
Looking good!
Sep 01, 2010, 01:36 PM
nick 30
Thread OP
thankyou, just wish i had hardner (catalyst) so it had overnight to cure, oh well it'll have to be tomorow

Quick Reply