New to FPV - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 31, 2010, 12:22 PM
14s 180mah should be enough...
Discussion

New to FPV

Hello all,

I have lurked around this part of RCG for quite a while now, and this past weekend finally got to experience FPV firsthand, thanks to KevinHines and IBCrazy.

Those guys came down to the all electric fly-in my club hosted, and put on demos of FPV gear, giving rides to all who were interested, and they did an outstanding job!

I had the opportunity to go on rides with both of them, as well as fly Kevin's Easy Star for a couple of "under the hood" flights, to include shooting a landing.....all I can say is WOW!!! I am hooked!

I have wanted to give FPV a go for a while now, but was concerned because of motion sickness issues I have. Thanks to Kevin and Alex, I now know I have nothing to worry about. I felt nothing other than the freedom to cruise around the sky, checking out the terrain and lay of the land!

I am going to start small, with some cheap gear (25mw transmitter/camera combo) I already have, so I can quench my thirst while I save up and sell off stuff till I can afford nice equipment. I plan on recording the first few flights to get a feel for the reliable range, then putting a monitor in view so I can glance down and check the video feed quality as I fly normally, till I know for sure what the range is. After that, I can go under the hood with a spotter (another buddy who is also looking to assemble a system) and get a feel for take-off's and landings.

I know my range will be limited at first, but I am ok with that, and plan to use this gear to gain experience while I gather the "good stuff." Besides, after seeing and flying with OSD, I don't want to fly without it! It was nice to be able to follow the arrow back if I needed to.

So..I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself, and say thanks to all you pioneers I have been following for quite a while. I look forward to joining the ranks of FPV!

Tim
AG4RZ
Latest blog entry: Intro..a few years to late!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 31, 2010, 02:36 PM
Praying for better weather
Hi Tim welcome to the forum, good to see Alex getting others interested and putting an extra effort in well done Alex
Aug 31, 2010, 03:16 PM
Post # 20 million
Hey Tim, similar story how i infected my brother .

Cheers, Kev.
Aug 31, 2010, 04:01 PM
Suspended Account
Hello Tim! Alex will be a good teacher! I think he's had good success with the Remzibi OSD (full disclosure - which I've been involved with writing the PC config software). If you are looking to purchase one, contact Remzibi directly. You can find him on RCG. Here's some reading for you: http://remzibi.happykillmore.com

Good luck!
Aug 31, 2010, 04:11 PM
Thanks guys! happy, I know about your involvement in the "Poor Man's OSD," and I agree it is a great looking system. From the reading I have done , it also looks to be the best bang for my buck.

Both Alex & Kevin were using it, and it worked quite well. I had downloaded the configuration software some time ago to play with, and I love the ability to configure the display as you see fit, and have just the info you want on the screen.

You can bet I will give Remzibi a shout when I sell off a few things and raise some capital.

Tim
AG4RZ
Sep 01, 2010, 07:33 AM
Engineer for Christ
Tim,

It's good to see you have now "drank the FPV Kool-Aid". Now you're hooked and resistance is futile. You will become one of us

Of course, you are one step ahead of most folks; you are an active HAM operator. I was shocked when you picked up my Moxon rectangle and actually knew what it was.

If I were you, I'd skip the 25mW system all together. You can get a decent FPV set up including OSD for $250. This is assuming you are willing to make your own antennas. Of course, I don't think you'd have it any other way The expensive part is the goggles, and I think you already bought a set of Trimersions, right? So drop the extra $250 and fly like we did at the fly-in.

-Alex
KJ4RIV
Sep 01, 2010, 02:48 PM
Yeah, Tim, youre hooked! Sounds like you guys had fun at RC!
Ive been flying FPV for about 6 years now, even opted for an appropriate vanity callsign!
Mike
W4UAV
Sep 01, 2010, 02:49 PM
Hey guys I'm new to this to. I have a question for you. I see some TX has 10mw, others 100mw, 200... what does that means?
Sep 01, 2010, 02:59 PM
The mw rating is the power produced by your video transmitter, the higher the mw the more powerfull. 1000mw transmitter is a 1 watt transmitter
Sep 01, 2010, 03:25 PM
So it affect transmitting range. How do you calculate the range?
Sep 01, 2010, 03:40 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFLYOS
Hello all,

So..I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself, and say thanks to all you pioneers I have been following for quite a while. I look forward to joining the ranks of FPV!

Tim
AG4RZ
Hey tim, so you claim to be a noobie but you are already ahead of some. knowing how to program a Remzibi, and knowing about antennae gives you an advantage .
If you know how to fly planes and you know what you want, you are half way there.
Enjoy the ride ! you will love it
Sep 01, 2010, 03:47 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceros007
So it affect transmitting range. How do you calculate the range?
power is one of the factors to do with range, but most importantly the aerials are vital .
High power with bad aerial will have the same range of a low power setup with a good aerial !

As per how to calculate ? I guess there is a way or some equation that can be found with parameters such as power, SWR, humidity, temperature, etc etc.. it wont be simple, I can guarantee it
Sep 01, 2010, 03:55 PM
How longs a piece of string, ranges vary due to lots of local rf influences, but for a ball park figure of your absolute max, in a perfect world, this one gets pretty close to what we have seen possible before

http://www.fpvhobby.com/fpv12.htm

But you need to know lots of variables, ie all your antenna gains, receiver sensativity etc
Sep 01, 2010, 04:34 PM
I want to mount it on a helicopter, so I don't need extreme range.

I was looking at this
http://www.fpvhobby.com/94-8ghz-10mw-camera.html

But for more, I can buy a 3gram cam + http://www.fpvhobby.com/93-200mw-58g...ansmitter.html
This setup is 200mw vs 10mw.

That's why I was asking...
Sep 01, 2010, 06:03 PM
Lemme see..I do have the goggles on the way..two sets in fact, one is for another buddy who I taught to fly and also got him into amateur radio...Robert, KG4NEP. We both upgraded to Extra at the same time (8-9 years ago) and have been flying together for closed to 15 years.

Anyway, I not only have drank the FPV Kool Aid, I am making my own, LOL! I am really looking forward to getting the gear together and setting up a plane. I just need to get busy and break out Sketchup so I can design something suitable, and cut it on the PhlatPrinter. I know there will be...mishaps, shall we say, and having the ability to cut out replacement parts will come in handy!!

And the Moxon, Alex...been using them for a few years now, mounted on the side of the tower, fixed north east for 15 meters into Europe. Gives me an edge during contest season!!

Tim
AG4RZ