Aug 31, 2010, 06:25 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Kyosho Seawind Vs Thunder Tiger ETNZ

Again !! I have a comparison to ask your opinions !!
Which one would you recommend ??

Thanks again guys (and possible girls)

Nuno
to remove ads between posts
Aug 31, 2010, 07:54 AM
I don't own either, but I do know that the Seawind has a large class in the US, and does not need to be heavily modified to race.

Read some of the threads on the ETNZ model. It seems it has some serious design problems, which can be fixed with some work. But this would prevent it from ever gaining a lot of sailors interested in racing, IMO.
Aug 31, 2010, 02:02 PM
ditto ... to Hews comments.

Assembled and sailed both against each other ....the Seawind is by far worth the extra price, not only is the kit far better quality but sails circles around the TT ETNZ which you will spend loads of valuable sailing time repairing and modifying.
Sep 01, 2010, 10:22 AM
Seawind all the way. It is a one design class that puts higher emphasis on sailing/tuning skills, and tactics over technology. They have a large following and parts are still relatively easily available.

To race within class rules, you are highly limited on what you can do to the boat out of the box. Boats have to make a minimum weight. You must use all of the factory dummy winches, steering wheels etc(purely cosmetic, but again, they want every boat to be as equal as possible). You must use factory kyosho sails (no aftermarket sails). You can change the sheets(lines from the servo to the jib and main sail) material, rigging material to support the mast, and that's about it. Stock sails, stock linkage, mast, rudder and keel must not be modified. From a problem/structural standpoint, you are allowed to reinforce the hull where the keel box is, and you can replace the hatch to make it more watertight. Minor fairing of the keel bulb is allowed, as long as it doesnt radically alter the shape of the bulb. Sanding, painting and polishing the hull are allowed within class rules as long as they do not change the shape (ie, narrowing the deck, pinching the transom, etc are not allowed).

There are fixed points on the deck and connecting to the jib boom and main boom that the sails must run through. You can set them up with a cheap futaba attack radio all the way up to a 2.4 computer radio and still win. a futaba 3801 or hitec 765 are the servos of choice for the sail control.

Check out the seawind rersource center website for more info. Mike Eades is the class secretary, and is full of information.
Sep 01, 2010, 12:52 PM
Hey if you like the ETNZ graphics ...can have it the Seawind as well
Sep 01, 2010, 06:30 PM
Boomer1

Seawind overall -my vote

I agree! The Seawind 1M goes together like a dream. The Thunder Tiger ETNZ, according to the build logs on this and other forums, comes with some issues with the molded hull, that result in miss fit parts and mis-drilled holes.

I think we'd agree the ETNZ graphics are nicer than the standard Seawind decals. Both are nice boats, but I feel the Seawind has the edge overall.

I am not sure if there is much of a price difference between the two boats. My last price check has the ABS version Seawind at $220 and the ETNZ at $220. For $20 bucks, I'd go with the Seawind. I just recently put together a Carbon Fiber version of the Seawind, now that was a lot more expensive! While it is a very cool boat, I don't sense much of difference in how it sails compared to the ABS version, which is a better value.

I really like seeing custom paint work on these boats! I was forturnate to see some very nice custom paint and assembly work done on Seawinds. I am sure some of you are familiar with Lattitude 24 in Florida. I posted a few photos of his handy work.

I collect photos of my favorite boats for fun and ideas. I have added the two very cooling Seawinds to my collection. Thanks KoneWone for posting those pictures. Do you know who painted them? Nice work!

Here are a few Seawind pictures from my photo collection.

Enjoy
Boomer
Sep 01, 2010, 11:19 PM
The flame works on the Latitude is awesome man ....... is it one the carbon version ? I heard the carbon version is somewhat more fragile compared to the ABS version. I'm also planning to get a Seawind, IOM in my region is just too expensive to own if we want to race competitively

I guess Seawind is a great big bang for the bucks. I've build 4 Seawinds, for few friends of mine and i guess it's time to own one ..... hmm ABS or Carbon hull ?
Sep 01, 2010, 11:34 PM
Boomer1

ABS vs Carbon Fiber Seawind

I can't image the CF version being more fragile than the ABS. Carbon Fiber is inheriently stronger than ABS, and is bound to be more crack resistant. I can confirm the CFE is certainly lighter than the ABS version and has streadier feel to it. It is a very thin lay up, but I guess that is the point of using Carbon Fiber.

If you can find an CF Edition you will likely pay a bunch for it. There are some around, but I have seen them priced from $450 to $1000+ on E-bay. I don't know if the $1000 e-bay boat sold for that. I sure wouldn't pay that for one.

I don't find much of a difference between the ABS and CFE boats in side by side performance or handling. If I had to pay $400 or more a for CF Edition, I don't think I could justify it.

The Blue flame is on a Carbon Fiber hull. If you look closely at the photo you can see the carbon fiber hull. I do like that look and would love to have Latitude 24 paint the CFE I put together but, he is not cheap! I think he sold the boat with the rain drop paint job for about a grand.

I added other photos of the rain drop or wet look boat that shows the level of his work, and one more sample of his skills.

Go for it.
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Sep 01, 2010 at 11:46 PM. Reason: typo
Sep 02, 2010, 01:45 AM
Thread OP
Again, THANK YOU ALL guys (and eventually girls !!)
The SEAWIND it is ..........

Unfortunately, I'm not able to have a custom job with Latitude (which BTW awesome jobs !!!!!!!!!!), because I live in Europe (I'm Portuguese), but will find some place to correct my mistakes, after I paint the boat myself.....

Will order the boat this week and will post some pics of the assembly progress ......

Happy sailings to all and thanks for the help....... again !!
Cheers,
Nuno
Sep 02, 2010, 02:15 AM
Thread OP
Another Issue (Being a newbie comes with bothering everyone ) :
I may get the boat with the Futaba RC and servos ( I believe the 2DR and S3003 and S3802 for sail winch ).

Are they ok ?? I don't want to spend all the money in the world but also I don't like to buy something and later on realize that I have to upgrade most of them, in order to be competitive (races will come, I'm sure .... ).

Any comments / Suggestions on the RC & Servos ? (Remember - Let's keep it within a reasonable budget !!!)

Regards again
Nuno
Sep 02, 2010, 09:06 AM

ETNZ Vs. Seawind

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoneWone
ditto ... to Hews comments.

Assembled and sailed both against each other ....the Seawind is by far worth the extra price, not only is the kit far better quality but sails circles around the TT ETNZ which you will spend loads of valuable sailing time repairing and modifying.
Hi Konewone, Maybe Seawinds sail circles around your ETNZ but the have
a hard time just staying near my ETNZ. Granted, I spent $ on fittings, rudder
modification, Racing Sails, Rigging, but no Seawind has yet to beat my ETNZ.
Since I repainted to BMW Oracle, I have changed the rudder(Wider) and will
replace keel and bulb to IOM type. Still with the 15-20MPH winds we have here
the ETNZ is just fine, and prettier. Regards and photo attached
Norman22
PS, When it was a stock kit, it was horrible to sail
Sep 02, 2010, 12:03 PM
Keep in mind, the Seawind is both a U.S. and an International One-Design Class. Your boat appears to be rather "modified"?

You are comparing a "modified" apple to a "limited one-design" orange. The only thing in common is their length, I would suspect. Bring in a current, state-of-the-art US 1 Meter, or an IOM and then compare ..............??
Sep 02, 2010, 12:55 PM
Hi Norman ...YES you right in what you say, my comments were comparing apples for apples with boats straight out of the box.

I agree with what Dick saying, when you spend the time & $ on TT ETNZ including panelled sails it does give a "standard Seawind" some serious competition, but then add panelled sails and few mods to the Seawind and the poor TT hull design become clearly apparent when you try and fine tune the TT.

Been there, done that ... got that T-shirt if know what I mean but your getting into competitive racing level at this point and that ain't the TT's strong point, Seawinds will eat you every time !

Hey Dick, like to up throw the chellenge up on state-of-the-art US 1 metre and IOM aginst the new AC 100 design from Claudio D, now that would be an interesting comparision ...wouldn't it ?

Boomer here's the link to the site that I found ETNZ design on Seawind pics http://azonic.co.nz/NZRYS/

Lamafever !!! whoa buddy buying a Seawind, way to go !!!!

Cheers K1
Sep 02, 2010, 01:49 PM
Hi KoneWone, Your right but the guys in our club mostly have Seawinds, some Fortune boats
from HK and there is no official Amya Racing. Just a bunch of old farts playing and drinking
beer. If I ever want to go into serious racing I will have someone build me a full blown
USOne Metre. Most of the guys in our club have never experienced real sail boats. I have
some advantage as I used to sail and race a J-30 In the Caribbean. Regards
Norman22
PS, I have also entertained building an AC100 class boat. They are a sweet design.
Last edited by Norman22; Sep 02, 2010 at 02:08 PM.
Sep 02, 2010, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L.
You are comparing a "modified" apple to a "limited one-design" orange. The only thing in common is their length, I would suspect. Bring in a current, state-of-the-art US 1 Meter, or an IOM and then compare ..............??
Good point!

If you install in both hulls IOM rigs, fin, bulb and rudder, wich one do you think will be faster? Why? In what conditions?

Quick Reply