Aug 29, 2010, 02:36 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Peter Rake's Rose Parrakeet prototype; This one does smell as sweet

A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME would smell as sweet.......Juliet Capulet

A couple months ago my buddy Dom came to me with an interesting story. His home was built by a fella who moved to our area to work for the Continental Motor Company. This company supplied many of the 1920's-30's airplanes with their powerplants, and among that list was the Rose Parrakeet.
Dom grew excited and started spouting about building one from scratch. Having never seen this plane before, I took a look and grew more and more excited about the prospect of building one. Having an affinity towards biplanes from this era, and noticing a great window of opportunity to work with a unique subject, I took a flyer and sent a message off to Mr. Rake. The response was an immediate "YES!" when asked about his interest in designing this bird. Well, and the rest is about to become history!

This build will be a collaborative effort of a few motivated buddies of varying degrees of experience, some building from kits, others scratching out a few parts, but all working through an interesting project together. The particulars are still being worked out, but this much is clear: 1) The scale is 1/6 (40"). 2) The power will be brushless, likely bell-type motor; and 3) The cookup is bound to have 2 or 3 solid prototypes of varied coloration.

I've put in a few color photos here, but check out www.roseparrakeet.org for some really neat photos and even a video or two (cameo in "Roscoe Barnes").

Sit back, enjoy, and comment as you see fit. Thanks for checking in!
Last edited by danrc; Aug 29, 2010 at 02:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 29, 2010, 02:36 PM
Thread OP
The build has begun. After a few days of trying to get the tiling right on the plans, we're finally rolling. I realize that the way I reserved all of these posts, Glenn and the guys can't jump in as easily...I think I'll roll with it this way and see how it goes.
Anyhow, the sides are completed (more so than in the pics below). The laser cut parts are great. I am excited to see how this one shapes up.

Dan
Last edited by danrc; Oct 03, 2010 at 11:26 PM.
Aug 29, 2010, 02:37 PM
Thread OP
After inhaling a few cubic liters of balsa dust, here's the sanding progress to date. I'm sticking with the plan, but I opted for sandwiched 1/2" balsa instead of large blocks. You can probably make out some triangle stock that I had to use to fill in some gaps on either side. That comes from a miscalculation on my original piece fitting between the 3/8" sides and the hatch/throat blocks.

Now I need to sand the 1/4 cheek pieces, add in the side stringers, and then apply the cockpit sheeting.
Last edited by danrc; Nov 12, 2010 at 12:57 AM.
Aug 29, 2010, 02:39 PM
Thread OP
Build finally progressing again.
After a short break for Thanksgiving and to clean up a couple nagging projects (planes and otherwise), I'm back at it.

The fuse nose has rounded into shape. A lot of sanding has taken place and my sinuses paid the price! Now that I'm using a hepa mask, I'm in the clear...Just in time for the garage temperature to drop into the single digits!!

The laminations came out o.k. The first wing tip laminations weren't glued well enough. I got the sense that the Sig wood glue I was using wasn't strong enough, so I used Titebond on round two.

The top wing is on the board now. I'll post up some more pics as it rounds into shape.
Last edited by danrc; Dec 14, 2010 at 10:25 AM.
Aug 29, 2010, 02:39 PM
Thread OP
I've been slow on this build, but not out of the game.
Here is my Continental A-40 Engine laser cut by DPC Models. We went back and forth on the scaling of this, but I think Dave hit it right on the head.

I decided to make up a dipping solution for these heads. I used some natural steel/black/and brown paint thinned about 60/40 with water. The color comes out looking like a brown/darkish metallic. The casings will be painted in a brass color. I like Glenn's spark plugs, so those will have to be added too. I have some aluminum tubing that I hand bent. It should like pretty decent once installed.
Last edited by danrc; Jan 17, 2011 at 09:57 AM.
Aug 29, 2010, 02:42 PM
Thread OP
This project is finally moving along again. This is a quick picture of a dry fit of the wings before I took them to the garage for sanding. The dummy motor is stuck on with sticky tape.
Last edited by danrc; Apr 03, 2011 at 09:07 PM.
Aug 29, 2010, 02:43 PM
Thread OP
I'm close to being done...finally. I have a few covering shots that I'll download and post later. This forum format makes it hard to complete a full build with the limited space (and 6 months time!). I'm finally rolling to an end here. The servos are in the wings, the motor is loosly fitted in the nose and waiting my new prop adapter. Here's some details:
2 rolls of covering: Ultracote Parklite (red and silver)
4 hxt 9 gram servos
BP Hobbies (suppo) 2212-13, I'll post details on the prop adapter when it comes in later this week.
Dubro wheels
Dummy motor cut by Dave Cowell at DPC models. (Not the real A-40 design, but it looks really cool to me)

6 sheets of sandpaper ranging from 80 grit to 220..
3 sinus infections, a thin layer of balsa dust on my garage floor, and a few new expletives discovered while sanding the wing leading edges.

All kidding aside, this is a really neat looking model and I really can't wait to get it done. Work/family and all sorts of other excuses stood in my way, but I should have this ready to fly in the next week
Last edited by danrc; Apr 03, 2011 at 09:29 PM.
Aug 29, 2010, 04:32 PM
Fly, dangit!!!
Signing on, looks like a real neat subject. I'm sure that it will be another fine flier from our friend Mr. Rake, the doyen of scale model planes!

J. B.

p.s. Dan - I like the green one.
Aug 29, 2010, 05:12 PM
Thread OP
Thanks J.B.!
I dig the green one too. Dom has laid claim to the red. I have another couple schemes up my sleeve that I like. The next phase is getting the proto kit from Mr. Bice. I've cleared the deck for this project.

Dan
Aug 29, 2010, 06:02 PM
Another neat plane, where does Pete keep coming up with all these?

Think I would shy away from the green schemed one, if you have a lot of trees where you fly!
Aug 29, 2010, 06:20 PM
Übung macht den Meister..

James
Aug 29, 2010, 06:38 PM
Or current resident
So, which red one did Dom claim?

Glenn
Aug 29, 2010, 07:04 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parson
Another neat plane, where does Pete keep coming up with all these?

Think I would shy away from the green schemed one, if you have a lot of trees where you fly!
Good point Dan!
Aug 29, 2010, 07:06 PM
Thread OP
[QUOTE=Dan Parson;15916217]Another neat plane, where does Pete keep coming up with all these?

Dom gets the credit for finding this plane. I dug up the three view and sent it on to Pete. He did all of the hard work! We kept this under our hats until Pete's plan was complete.

Quick Reply