Jun 30, 2003, 09:58 PM
Thread OP
Alert

Top R/C Gun AWS Combat System Project

Apr-11-2011 Update:
I still have the parts kit and a few boards that are assembled. Details are provided below.

Apr-21-2008 Update:
The fully assembled version is still available. I have through-hole parts kits too.

Sep-01-2007 Update:
The fully assembled version and the through-hole parts kit is still available. However, I no longer offer the custom PCB; I have converted to a SMD PCB design and I just don't have the free time to create a new parts kit and assy docs for it.

Sep-01-2004 Update:
Details to the Plug-n-Play (fully assembled & tested board): Click me For Plug-n-Play board offer.
Installation Instructions: Click Me to download Plug-n-Play instructions.

July-01-2003 Update:
Details to the low cost Parts Kit can be found here: Click Me for Top RC-Gun AWS parts Kit details!

Now back to the original June-30-2003 Post:

The Top RC-Gun combat project details were posted last week. This is a DIY combat system based on the HobbyZone Sonic Combat Module. Details on how to connect it to a standard R/C system begin here: RC-CAM's Top RC-Gun Project

But I really felt this design would be much better if a microcontroller was used. I spent a couple of days with a 8-pin PIC and the results were well worth it. It works great and I am very pleased with the results.

The new design is easier/simpler to build. It is possible to assemble it using one 8-pin IC (PIC chip), one .1uF cap, and a single servo cable. Really. The posted schematic shows it in the recommended form, but you can Muntz it if you like. Just review the notes on the schematic to see what is not absolutely necessary.

The new design may be simpler, but it has more features. It supports servo and ESC based throttles, has a hit counter, and even simulates a damaged engine when you get hit by weapons fire (engine is stuttered for a few seconds).

There was reluctant interest in a PIC based combat project due to the need to program the part. If necessary, I will offer a cheap parts kit (perhaps $8) for a short period to help out. If you are interested then please post a remark in this thread. If enough interest appears then I will offer the kit, much like I did with my CamMan project last December.

The link to the project's web page is:
Top RC-Gun AWS

If you have questions on the new design please post them in this thread.
Last edited by Mr.RC-CAM; Apr 11, 2011 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Updated Project Status.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 30, 2003, 10:33 PM
Yahoo!

For starters, I'll take 4 of the kits when they become available.

You mention that hits would make the engine "stutter", is this in place of motor cutoff or idle?

Thanks for all your great projects.
BK

BTW: I'm still waiting and hoping for you to make up another Gsmart for me.
Jun 30, 2003, 10:59 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
You mention that hits would make the engine "stutter", is this in place of motor cutoff or idle?
Yes. I think it is an interesting way to simulate a wounded aircraft. You get 10 seconds of intermittant motor operation. Models that might sink like a rock with a lost engine can now limp along in the air with the stuttered control.

Quote:
Thanks for all your great projects.
You are most welcome.

Quote:
I'm still waiting and hoping for you to make up another Gsmart for me.
There was an eZoner that had a used one for sale. If you are interested then PM me with your email address and I will forward it to him.

RC-CAM
Jun 30, 2003, 11:14 PM
i would be interested in purchasing a set (2).
Jun 30, 2003, 11:20 PM
One
Good day RC-CAM

I am very interested in your system. I have been following the combat system threds. What can I do to help test or purchase or what ever the case is at this point.

I would be interested in several kits as well.

Please email me with anything I can do to help make this happen

[email protected]
Jun 30, 2003, 11:26 PM
If you did make the kits how much work would need to be done to get them working? If they'd come programmed and with minimal easy soldering I'd definately be interested in a few (2-4?). Keep us posted.
Jun 30, 2003, 11:38 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
If you did make the kits how much work would need to be done to get them working?
Just visit the project page to see the details (link was given above). There are very few parts to solder, but it does require experience with building electronic devices. You will need to be able to follow the schematic to build it.

If I offer a kit the PIC would be programmed for you.

Looks like there is some interest -- let's see if more folks chime in.

RC-CAM
Jul 01, 2003, 06:06 AM
I am interested. I would want 2. Thanks for working on something like this.
Jul 01, 2003, 06:16 AM
I am very interested, but am afraid that I lack experience building electronic devices (that work). I know there is no way I'd ever get the non-pic version to work with all those wires. This one may be simple enough for me to attempt.

At any rate I'll take two or three of the kits when they are ready. With luck I'll get someone else to assemble them.

Thanks for doing all the work RC-CAM.

BC
Jul 01, 2003, 08:57 AM
Crash Site Instigator
I'll take two, at least. Thanks for designing & documenting this !!

Larry
Jul 01, 2003, 02:32 PM
Count me in for two!
Jul 01, 2003, 04:51 PM
Thread OP
Looks like ample interest. I don't mind supplying a parts kit to those that want one. Here are the details:

Top RC-Gun AWS Parts Kit (items in green)
Includes programmed PIC chip, all resistors (4 pcs), capacitor, and LED. Price is $7.50

Optional Socket Kit (items in blue)
Includes soldertail 8-Pin socket, 3-Pin Header (J3) and 4-Pin Polarized Connector (J4). Price is $1.50 for all three parts.

Shipping Details
Flat rate shipping is $3 for USA orders or $8 if outside USA.

Example: If you want 2 pcs of the AWS parts kit, 2 pcs of the optional socket set, and live in the USA, the total due would be $21 USD.

Payment is by PayPal. For my PayPal account info please PM me (do not use email for this).

I ship via USPS and most often it will go out within a day or so of payment. Once the orders slow down I will retire the offer, so please act now if you want a kit.

The other items that are needed are the Sonic Module, some perfboard, and one or two male servo cables (see text). You will also need some small gauge wire for you handwired work.

Lastly, please do not email or PM me for personal help with the project. Post your questions on this thread.

RC-CAM
Last edited by Mr.RC-CAM; Mar 27, 2014 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Updates
Jul 01, 2003, 07:27 PM
I have placed my order for 2.

I have read all of the related threads. I am unsure of what connects to the 3 pin header (J3)? Is this used when you are using the throttle for the trigger mechanism?
Jul 01, 2003, 07:39 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
I am unsure of what connects to the 3 pin header (J3)?
Here is where everything goes:

* J1 connects to the dedicated weapons firing channel (if used). You would install a servo cable here. This is not needed if you want to use the throttle to fire the Sonic Cannon.
* J2 connects to the Rx's throttle channel. You would install a servo cable here.
* J3 connects to the actual throttle servo or ESC cable. You would install a female servo connector here or use the 3-pin header supplied in the optional socket kit.
* J4 connects to the Sonic Module. You can hardwire it or use the 4-pin header supplied in the optional socket kit.

RC-CAM
Jul 02, 2003, 12:36 PM
I have compared the schematics from the first version of the combat module and the AWS. The ESC & RX leads (J1,J2,J3)show the middle pin (2) as the +4.8v in the first version. The AWS has the ground on the middle pin. Can these be interchanged?

Is there any chance we could see a picture of the under side of the module, like the one you showed on the first version?
Last edited by stevem1928; Jul 02, 2003 at 01:07 PM.

Quick Reply