Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Old Aug 28, 2010, 11:20 PM
Find More Posts by xraydoc
Discussion

Using a brushed esc as a dimmer for led

I am trying to figure how to hook up a brushed esc to control the brightness of the HK led strips.

I am currently using the on\off switch from HK but wanted to be able to dim them when I come in for a little hovering otherwise I get blinded

Wanted to see if those that have successfully done this could give a quick explanation how to wire it and if I need to do anything to the connection to the receiver so that the receiver does not get feedback from both the brushed and brushless esc.

any tips\tricks appreciated - I'm kind of a novice at the electrical stuff and didn't want to fry anything
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2010, 01:35 AM
Find More Posts by Bilbobaker
Suspended Account
You may find some information here.
It's really pretty easy to do.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1253472
Old Aug 29, 2010, 08:23 AM
thanks

from what I have read so far seems I need to cut the + lead from the receiver to the brushed speed control and set the lvc on the brushed speed control as low as I can.

I had planned to put it on a 3 way switch on my JR X-9303 and have low\med\high brightness

Anything else I need to be thinking about?
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:38 PM
came across this which had LOTS of good information

http://www.hoverandsmile.com/nightflying
Old Sep 03, 2010, 09:02 AM
Find More Posts by erkrystof
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraydoc View Post
came across this which had LOTS of good information

http://www.hoverandsmile.com/nightflying
Thanks for the plug

Hope you got your ESC issue figured out, did you go with a higher rated ESC? The simple one I used gave me the 12 volts, but I also was only using 400 milliamps or so total power.

Cutting down by half is surprising though. Did you test the ESC output with nothing but a voltmeter?
Old Sep 03, 2010, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkrystof View Post
Thanks for the plug

Hope you got your ESC issue figured out, did you go with a higher rated ESC? The simple one I used gave me the 12 volts, but I also was only using 400 milliamps or so total power.

Cutting down by half is surprising though. Did you test the ESC output with nothing but a voltmeter?
I was measuring the draw with a wattmeter so don't know how accurate it is as that low of a current. Got it working though.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 05:40 PM
Find More Posts by futura65
Hi there...so i really wanted to try out controlling the dimming of lights with the RC controller. Found this thread and it's been very helpful....so I went to the web site listed and saw what they were doing with the ESC. I wanted to just make an LED go from 0 to full brightness so plugged it into channel 1....and wired the LED to the motor side. When I hit the throttle the LED would go to full brightness for a moment then off even though I continued to squeeze the trigger. So I hooked up a volt meter. As I squeezed the trigger almost the moment I start the meter runs up to 100% but then just starts to drop back off even though I continue to squeeze the throttle up more. Then when I release the trigger, as it returns to center, it crosses that same point where it seems to run the voltage back up to 100% and then back down....just enough to make a blink. Not sure what's going on.....if anyone has any thoughts please let me know
thanks in advance.