This thread is privately moderated by bnrusso, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 27, 2010, 08:15 PM
lovin' early retired in 2000
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

HobbyKing $20 Spektrum compatible RX

I just received 2 HobbyKing Spektrum compatible Rxs.
no longer available.
What I first noticed.
  • They had no covering, just a pc-board.
  • The antennas are just wires, not coax.
  • Some of the solderjoints on one, near the servo connector needed additional solder.
  • The antennas needed a bit of glue support so they wouldn't break from use.
  • There were no instructions.
I decided to wrap the body with heat shrink tubing which will protect the circuit and give me a surface to mount
my velcro adhesive. They are designed so the RX status LED is at the top so you can see it if the heat shrink goes up to, but not over the antennas.
There are some pictures in the FILES section at the bottom of the ad which showed me the proper connections.

The bind process or bind procedure:
1. Plug in the bind plug to the BAT connector.
2. Plug in the batery to any other position.
negative closest to the PCboard level.Black wire(Futaba), brown wire (JR)*
the RX status LED will begin to flash quickly.
3. Lower the throttle on the TX to set the throttle cut failsafe.**
4. Hold the bind button on the TX and turn on the TX power.
5. Let go of the bind button as soon as the RX status LED goes OFF.
Wait for the RX status LED to come back on flashing,
then wait untill it goes out and comes back ON SOLID.
6. Remove the battery plug from the RX.
7. Remove the bind plug from the RX.
8. Power off the TX.
bind is complete.

• When I power up the RX with the TX OFF the status LED will blink and go out. A few seconds after I power up the TX the RX status LED will come ON SOLID.
  • When I power up the RX with the TX ON the RX status LED will blink once then come on solid.
  • If I remove the power from the RX and quickly replace it I get a blinking RX status LED indicating I had a low input voltage. This condition can be corrected by power cycling BOTH the RX and the TX. If I only power cycle 1 OR the other I continue to get the blinking RX status LED.
__________________________________________________ ___________
* I found that ONLY the throttle (channel 1) has a failsafe and all other servos stay at last position if signal is lost. You can check this by raising the throttle to full and turning off the TX. The throttle servo will go to low or OFF with loss of signal, PROVIDED that this was the position of the throttle during the BIND process. If the throttle was at someother position during BIND then that will be the throttle's failsafe position when the RX looses signal.

**I use a test battery rather then the ESC BEC as I would be concerned that the some ESC's might power up the motor. I have a friend that accidentally reversed the throttle channel and had an electric go to full power in his living room and caused some damage.
Last edited by bnrusso; Nov 21, 2019 at 11:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 28, 2010, 01:39 AM
Thanks SO much for posting this. I've just received one of these and was going to do trial and error methodology to figure it out. You've saved me heaps.

I have to admit I was a little surprised there wasn't at least a single sheet of paper with minimal instructions.
Sep 06, 2010, 10:42 PM
68 years an RC flyer
Very useful instructions. Just a couple of clarifications and suggestions:

"If I remove the power from the RX and quickly replace it I get a blinking RX status LED indicating I had a low input voltage. This condition can be corrected by power cycling BOTH the RX and the TX. If I only power cycle 1 OR the other I continue to get the blinking RX status LED."

This is normal Quick Connect behavior on any Spektrum receiver since about 2008. The flashing light is designed to tell you that the receiver lost power. It's not a problem to be corrected but a very valuable feature. By the way, the flashing doesn't interfere with receiver operation, but it does defeat the warning, so do turn off the transmitter when you turn of the receiver (but not before).

One problem that sometimes prevents binding or subsequent link-up is having the transmitter too close to the receiver. Spektrum call for 3-4 feet, and while it usually works closer than that, this has been a cause of difficulty for quite a few people. Also avoid big chunks of metal like a truck bed or metal tool box.

Don't forget to remove the bind plug! It's easy to do and can have disastrous consequences if you fly that way.

If you want to use heat shrink over the receiver, get the clear type at an electronics store so you can cover the whole thing and still see the light.
Sep 06, 2010, 11:37 PM
Thanks

Quick Reply