JR 11X System with Spektrum 2.4GHz DSM Technology Review

Mike shares his findings on this highly and easily programmed 11 channel 2.4GHz radio system.

Splash

Introduction

JR 11X 2.4GHz
JR 11X 2.4GHz
Model Memory:30 models
Additional Memory:SD computer card
Total Channels:11
Weight:2 lb 5.5 oz
Modulation Type:Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum DSM2/DSM1 protocol
Band:2,400-2,483GHz
Transmitter Current:180mA/DSM2; 280mA/DSM1
Resolution:2048
Battery:1500mAh 9.6V NiMH
Spectral Capacity:40 systems simultaneously
Receiver:JR R921 2.4GHz
Wall Charger:JR AD35MO5, input 120V AC 60Hz Output 11.6V & 5.8V
Manufacturer:JR
Available From:Horizon Hobby and fine Hobby Stores everywhere
Price:$749.99

The first thing everyone notices about the JR 11X is that the transmitter bears a striking resemblance to a Transformer, and just as with Transformers: "There's more than meets the eye." I very much like its looks, but honestly in this case, beauty is not so much in the eye of the beholder as it is in the HANDS of the holder!

This is a feature-rich transmitter and I spent my time testing and using this transmitter to share my impressions on many of its features. I like the SD card slot that expands the transmitters memory and allows me to share and store my programming through my computer in addition to allowing for more model memory. The ability to use it to update the transmitter's software was actually used in this review and will be helpful in the future. (No need to send it in to be reprogrammed for upgrades!)

I have the JR XP9303 and X9303 and I am very familiar with much of the basic programming which was the basis for much of the 11X's programming. I pretty much knew my way around the transmitter before I got it. However, there are some nice additions and improvements. One such improvement is that I can go from the System menu to the Function menu and back without having to turn off the transmitter. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed that little change. I love the features and performance of my 11X and I will tell you right here at the start: I highly recommend it! As much as I love the 11X, it could/should have some items clarified in the instruction manual. I share clarifications I found during this review and give reference to some articles on the 9303 that I believe will help with programming.

I warn you, I used all the space RCGroups gave me in writing this review. Look for headings that interest you, and by just reading those you will probably find the review more interesting and helpful than if you read the review straight through.

Kit Contents

JR 11X System: Included Items

• JR 11X 2.4GHz DSM2 11 channel transmitter
  • JR R921 2.4GHz DSM2 9 channel receiver
  • JR wall charger
  • JR 11X System instruction manual
  • JR 3 year warranty card

Additional Items Supplied by Reviewer

Reviewer Supplied:

• SD memory card
  • Aluminum dual transmitter box with middle bay carved out to fit the 11X

Key Features on the JR 11X System Per JR

Promoted Key Features as Announced by JR

• Ultra-smooth, dual bearing stick assemblies
  • Refined 2048 resolution on the monitor
  • Auto Assign (TM) switch selection
  • Uncompromised Control for planes, helis and sailplanes
  • Fastest-response processor, for an unprecedented connection with model
  • All 11 channels function at identical speed and resolution
  • Backlit, high resolution, 4 gray-scale display for optimum clarity in all light conditions
  • Access all Function and System menus without turning off the transmitter
  • Easy access, back-mounted levers
  • RF status light; Blue-RF on, Red-RF off, Green-warning
  • SD card slot for expanded memory and future software updates
  • 30-model memory expandable with SD card slot
  • 3 + 1 Digital/Analog trims
  • Exclusive, proven JR rolling selector data input
  • Custom naming for flight modes

Additional Key Items per the Reviewer:

• My List
  • Model Match
  • ServoSync
  • Dual Link Technology
  • Fit of Transmitter in my Hands
  • Three Timers: Countdown or Stopwatch
  • Seven Hour Plus Operating Time
  • Adjustable Servo Speeds

The JR 11X Transmitter is compatible with all current JR and Spektrum DSM aircraft receivers including:

• AR500 5-channel full range receiver
  • AR6000 6-channel parkflyer receiver
  • AR6100 6-channel 3.5-gram parkflyer receiver
  • AR6100e 6-channel 3.5-gram parkflyer receiver
  • AR6110/AR6110E 6-channel parkflyer receiver/end pin
  • AR6200 6-channel full range receiver
  • AR6250 6-channel carbon fuse full range receiver
  • AR6300 6-channel 2-gram Nanolite slow and microflyer receiver
  • AR6400/L 6-channel receiver
  • AR7000 7-channel full range receiver
  • AR7600 7-channel high-speed receiver
  • AR7100/AR7100R 7-channel heli receiver/with RevLimit
  • AR9000 9-channel receiver
  • AR9100 9-channel PowerSafe receiver
  • AR9200 9-channel PowerSafe Evolution receiver
  • AR9300 9-cahnnel carbon fuse receiver
  • AR12000 12-channel receiver
  • AR12100 12-channel Power-Safe receiver
  • R921 9-channel receiver
  • R922 9-channel receiver
  • R1221 12-channel receiver
  • R1222 12-channel PowerSafe receiver

Assembly

Transmitter Battery, Charging, Over Charge Protection & Operating Time

My JR 11X came with a 1500mAh 9.6V NiMH battery pack that is composed of 8 AA size NiMH batteries sealed into a single pack. They recommend only using a JR charger with the transmitter as the center pole on the JR is negative and other brands often have their connectors and chargers wired differently. The included 11X battery contains a heat detector. If it senses excessive heat, it shuts off the included JR charger and shows an error on the charger's LED. The 11X charger's transmitter charging output is 11.6V, with 110mAh as the average charge rate. The battery voltage does not affect the output of the system as the output is regulated internally. So long as the pack's charge is at 9 volts or higher. If the transmitter's voltage drops below 9.0 volts in operation from the battery, an alarm goes off during flight (default programming). The pilot should land the aircraft immediately and recharge the transmitter. NiMH batteries take several charges to obtain their full capacity. Accordingly, transmitter operating times will generally increase slightly after the first few uses and charges.

After the second charge of the transmitter's battery pack I programmed with the JR 11X for 45 minutes of on time and flew for an hour of on time. I left the transmitter on for an additional 5 1/2 hours for a total operation time from one charge of 7 hours and fifteen minutes. After five hours of operation the voltage reading on the transmitter screen was down to 9.6V. That was the cutoff point with an FM transmitter. However, with the 11X and the 2.4GHz system the voltage cut-off is at 9.0 volts. That was reached after 7 hours 15 minutes of operation. The transmitter kept transmitting but the alarm did go off so at that point I turned her off and put her on the charger.

The 11X Size and Storage

The JR 11X is wider and thicker than my JR X9303 and while the 11X's body is a little taller then the 9303 when you count the antenna height the 11X is a little shorter. To fit the 11X in my JR dual transmitter case where my XP9303 used to rest, I had to get out my filleting knife. I cut out foam from top to bottom on both sides and in front I cut and removed foam in sort of a bowed shape for the 11X to fit. With a good long thin sharp knife the surgery was quick and easy to perform.

Binding

As with all Spektrum/JR DSM transmitters it is necessary to bind the receiver to the transmitter. To do this the first step is to make sure the receiver is ready to bind. Some are always ready such as the micro receivers while others require that a binding plug be inserted into the bind port. The second step is to supply power to the receiver. All receivers have a LED that should be flashing rapidly to show it is ready to bind. Next press and hold in the bind button on the back of the 11X transmitter while turning on the transmitter's power switch. After a second let go of the bind button. In a few seconds the bind lights on the front and rear of the 11X and on the receiver will go solid to show that the binding has been completed. Remove the bind plug from the receiver. Thereafter, for flying turn on the transmitter a minimum of five seconds before powering up the receiver. When properly bound and powered up correctly the transmitter has an illuminated orange LED (in back) that should be on solidly lit just like the orange LED on the receiver.

Range Testing with the 11X

Power up the 11X and then the receiver. Walk 30 paces (90 feet) away from the plane with the plane on the ground. Face the model with the transmitter in the normal flying position and depress and hold in the bind button on the back of the 11X transmitter. This causes reduced power output from the transmitter. Despite the reduced power output there should still be complete control of the model at that distance. If there is a problem check again and if it persists contact JR's product support as listed in the manual. (I stopped counting after it passed the first 15 range tests.)

R921 2.4GHz Receiver

JR R921 2.4GHz
JR R921 2.4GHz
Width:1.23"
Length:1.94"
Height:.56"
Total Channels:9
Weight:.8 ounces with satellite
Modulation:DSM2
Band:2,400-2,4835GHz
Current:70mA
Resolution:2048
Voltage Range:3.5-10V
Failsafes:SmartSafe and preset Failsafe
Receivers:2 internal , 1 remote std
Manufacturer:JR
Available From:Horizon Hobby and fine Hobby Stores everywhere
Price:$169.99

The R921 receiver has two internal receivers and comes with one remote receiver and a second optional remote receiver can be purchased and installed to help secure reception. Per the instruction manual it says that at least one remote receiver must be used and I have never tried to use mine without at least one remote receiver. It has Spektrum's patented MultiLink technology and is Flight Log compatible (Flight Log is an option that records how the receiver and plane is functioning during operation.). SmartSafe prevents the throttle from functioning and drives all other channels to their preset positions if the receiver is powered up without a transmitter signal. Preset FailSafe allows the pilot to program the specific control positions for all channels should the receiver loose signal after a successful connection has been made. Preset FailSafe is typically used to prevent flyaways if signal is temporarily lost.

Model Match

Model Match prevents a pilot from trying to fly planes 2-30 when the 11X transmitter is still set on plane # 1. In that situation there isn't a Model Match and even though plane 2's receiver is bound to the transmitter it will not respond until the transmitter's programming is moved from plane 1 to plane 2 by selecting plane 2 using the "Model Select" option in the System Menu. This wonderful feature prevents a pilot from accidently trying to fly a plane while the transmitter is still set on the programming for a different model plane, helicopter or sailplane.

RF Status Light: Blue broadcasting, Green Warning, Red off the air

If everything is good to go when the transmitter is turned on the blue RF light turns on showing that the transmitter is broadcasting. If the green light comes on it means that something is not right and it is a warning light. I have gotten the green light and an audible warning sound a couple of times when the throttle stick was a click up from the off position. When I have lowered the stick the green light and warning sound went off and the blue light came on. So far I have only seen the red light when I have been doing certain programming for a new model. The software asks if I want to turn off the signal and when I answered yes the blue light went out and the red light went on until I finished that step of the programming. This has made it very clear that one should not program on those items from the System Menu while the plane is in the air. I have a rule not to touch the programming while I have an aircraft in the air. I will of course adjust the trim tabs as necessary.

3+1 Digital/Analog Trims with Trim Position Memory, Programmable Trim System and LST

3 + 1 Digital/Analog trims are not new but they are very helpful. The trims for the aileron, elevator and rudder functions are digital. The digital trims like analog trims are used to make adjustments to the controls. The digital trims however are remembered in the programming automatically so the next time the aircraft is flown the trim settings will go where programmed. There is a visual display of the trim tabs adjustment on the screen and a tone is emitted when actually making adjustments with the trim. The adjustment for the throttle is analog and it physically moves up and down. The computer doesn't remember this adjustment. The 11X also displays a number alongside the graphic display of the adjustment on the screen. I have found this number helpful when, after a flight, I adjusted the sub trim by the amount of the number shown and then re-centered the trim tab. The control surfaces still have the adjustment they needed and I have full range for the model's trim tabs once again if further adjustment is needed in flight. I have my choice of leaving the adjustment in the trim tab or moving it to the sub trim through programming adjustment after the flight. If the adjustment was large, a mechanical adjustment to the servo may be best. (I trust all readers understand that servos should be mechanically set up to center control surfaces in the desired neutral position. With proper mechanical set up the final trim can be obtained to perfectly position the servo arm with the transmitter programming.)

Additionally, the Trim System itself can be adjusted so that each touch of the trim tab moves the control surface the exact distance desired. The 11X allows trim adjustments to be coarse at 10ms or very fine adjustment at 1ms. The total movement range is unchanged, the amount of movement with each touch of trim is what is programmable. I use the standard adjustments most of the time but on some of my sailplanes I go to fine adjustments after they have been programmed and tested. Any changes made after that are usually only very fine adjustments.

My friend uses the LST (Limited Standard Trim) when setting up his or my helicopters. This allows him to trim and center moves to truly center the servo but keeps the end point movements where they were to avoid exceeding the desired movement. He also goes to very fine adjustments with trim for his helicopters after they have been initially trimmed out.

Helicopters

I am an advanced beginner to early intermediate helicopter pilot. When it comes to actual programming my transmitter for my helicopters I am purely a beginner and as the Beatles sang: "I get by with a little help from my friends." Just give them to me ready to fly and I'm a happy camper. Most of the programming functions are universal in operation so that describing their function for airplanes it isn't any different than their function for sailplanes or helicopters. I don't feel qualified or have space to go into detailed specifics concerning helicopter programming, I will pass on the comments from my more experienced helicopter flying friends. We spent a day together with four Trex 450s. After programming for one Trex 450 they were able to quickly modify that program as necessary and rebind for their individual helicopters. Programming for three helicopter Flight Modes was done and the control went from tame trainer, to scale handing, to advanced aerobatic capability. The two lead pilots were very familiar with JR programming as one uses the 9303 and the other has the 9503. They said it was easy to adjust to the 11X and the 11X had more choices and options for programming available to them. The Flight Modes were really nice and they could take the Trex from a Trainer set up to advance aerobatics with the flick of a switch. At the end of our session they left with my Trex 450 properly programmed on my 11X.

Ultra-Smooth, Dual Bearing Stick Assemblies; Easy Access, Back Mounted Levers; Fit of Transmitter in my Hands

Sticking with the transmitter layout I'll cover two of their "Key Features" along with one of mine. Like many pilots I don't hold the transmitter sticks. I place my thumbs on the top of them and move the sticks with my thumbs. I haven't used a neck strap in the past but I may in the future. I grip the transmitter with both hands. Using my JR 9303 I found I occasionally moved the sliders on the sides of the transmitter by accident. I really like the large scoops in the back of the 11X transmitter. They allow me a nice grip on the transmitter and a comfortable feel with my thumbs on top of the sticks. The sticks have proven to be very smooth and precise in operation. I can reach and move the back levers with my index fingers but I have not accidently moved them yet and I don't think I will. I like their location! The transmitter feels very balanced and comfortable in my hands. The layout of the switches allows me to find them quickly and easily without having to look at the transmitter. Feel and comfort are very personal things. I can honestly say that I find the feel to be excellent. A friend with much larger hands says my 11X fits his hands perfectly. I recommend you pick one up at your hobby store and check out the feel for yourself.

Type Select: Means Types of Aircraft

Programming for Planes (ACRO), Helicopters and Sailplanes

The 11X software is more advanced than the JR 9503 software and they report that the switches are in the same position as on the 12X. I have noticed greater alternatives and flexibility in the features programming especially when it comes to helicopters. For this review I will list the programmable features for each type of aircraft and then I will go step by step through programming a simple airplane. The programming is done using the rolling selector on the bottom right front of the transmitter. I will start first in the System Menu and then move to the Program menu. I simply roll the highlight over the item I want to select and press down on the rolling selector to select it. With just a little practice programming becomes very quick and simple.

Programmable Functions Airplane-Acro Mode

• Up to 3 flight modes
  • Switch and lever assignability
  • Triple rates and Exponentials for aileron, elevator and rudder that can be combined or assigned to flight modes
  • 4 Programmable Wing Types: Normal, Flaperon, Delta, 4-Aileron
  • Differential with two values per channel (Aileron, Dual Rudder, Dual Flap)
  • V-Tail mixing
  • Dual channels for all primary flight controls and flaps
  • Dual throttles (with independent trims and throttle controls)
  • Adjustable trim rates (10-100 trim steps)
  • L.S.T. trim-trim can be programmed to affect endpoints or center point only.
  • Elevator to Flap mixing
  • Aileron to Flap mixing
  • Balance mixing allows precise mixing of slave channel to master at multiple points
  • Throttle hold-can be assigned as a kill switch
  • Aileron-Rudder mixing
  • Throttle curves (2)
  • Flap System (With elevator and aileron trim, Auto Land, elevator/flap delay)
  • Gyro System (In flight gain selection for up to 3 gains for up to 2 gyros)
  • Servo speed (Independent in both directions- eliminates door sequencers)
  • 6 programmable mixes (includes 3 multi-point mixes)
  • Programmable trainer system (Selectable channels for student control)
  • Timers-up to four (stopwatch, countdown and integrated)
  • Servo monitor (automatically renames channels according to assignment)
  • Pitch curve setting for variable pitch props

Programmable Functions for Helicopter Mode

• Switch assignability for channels and functions
  • Up to six fully programmable flight modes
  • Flight mode naming allows custom naming of each flight mode
  • Warning system allows custom programming of alarms for various switch and stick positions
  • Programmable servo speed
  • Triple rates/exponentials (Up to 4 rates/expos for aileron, elevator and rudder in flight modes)
  • 6 swashplate types (normal, 2 servo 180, 3 servo 120, 3 servo 140, 3 servo 90, 4 servo 90)
  • Electronic 3D Cyclic Ring prevents overdriving the cyclic servos with combined aileron and elevator commands
  • Adjustable Trim Rates (10-100 trim rates)
  • Built in Cyclic-to-throttle mixing for aileron, elevator and rudder
  • Governor Mix
  • Throttle Curves (up to 5) with up to 7 programmable points
  • Pitch Curves (up to 6) with up to 7 programmable points
  • Gyro System (In flight mode Gain selection of up to 6 Gains)
  • 6 Programmable Mixes (includes 3 multi-point and 3 standard mixes)
  • Programmable trainer system (selectable channels for student control)
  • 3 programmable timers that can be triggered w/ the throttle position or programmable switches
  • Servo Monitor (automatically renames channels according to assignments)
  • Mix Monitor displays all active mixes

Programmable Functions for Sailplane Mode

• Switch Assignability for channels and functions
  • Up to 5 fully programmable Flight Modes
  • Flight Mode naming allows custom naming of each flight mode
  • Dual control functions for elevator, rudder, flap and spoilers
  • V-tail mixing
  • Stick position switches allow mixing functions to be turned on/off via a stick position
  • Fully programmable motor function
  • Camber programming for each flight mode
  • Warning system allows custom programming of alarms for various switch and stick positions
  • Programmable servo speed
  • Triple Rates/Exponentials (up to 4 Rates/Expos for aileron, elevator and rudder in flight modes)
  • Adjustable Trim Rates (10-100 trim steps)
  • 6 Programmable mixes (includes 3 Multi-Point and 3 standard mixes)
  • Programmable trainer system (selectable channels for student control)
  • 3 programmable timers that can be triggered with the throttle position or programmable switches
  • Servo Monitor (automatically renames channels according to assignments)
  • Mix Monitor displays all active mixes

Downloads

Programming the 11X for the E-flite Model PT-17

To Start programming a new model the pilot must select The "Model Select" option from the System screen by highlighting it with the rolling selector and then pushing down on the rolling selector.

The next screen shown requires the programmer to turn off the broadcast signal by pressing the button next to the "Yes" on the left of the screen. If No is pressed you go back to the previous screen. If Yes is pressed you advance to the Model Select screen.

After choosing the Model Select the next step was choosing the Type Select of Plane, Helicopter or Sailplane. This is another three screen process using the rolling selector. As seen in the last picture I have already selected "Acro" as the plane type for my PT-17. Below are the three screens seen in the process.

Changing the Aircraft Type will erase all programming stored for the model so it was necessary to select the Type as the first item programmed. With that done programming the Model Name from the System List is the next item of business. The Model Name is very easy to program as the highlighted selector stays on the last letter, number or symbol selected. My X9303 required me to start at the beginning of the list for each new item in the Model Name. Selecting the Model Name was only a two screen process.

That completed the programming I needed from the System List for my PT-17. On my X9303 I would have had to turn off the transmitter to get out of the System List. I would have then had to turn the transmitter back on and push a button to get into the Function List. With the 11X I just roll the selector until the Function List was highlighted and press down on the selector and I had the function list on my screen for my use. The Function List has a number of items on it. The items I selected and used for my PT-17 included: Servo Reversing, Sub Trim adjustment to center the rudder, elevator and ailerons the last little bit. I also programmed in Expo from the Dual Rate/Expo screen.

My List

A new option with the 11X is called: "My List" It allows the pilot to create a list of the programming functions used with each individual model. A "My list" can be created for each model and allows the pilot to go just to the My List selection to make changes to the programming in use on the model. Creation of the My List is optional at the pilot's discretion. I have started making My Lists for my more complex aircraft. I did one for my PT-17 as part of my learning process. That completed my programming of the 11X for my PT-17.

Additional Advanced Features

Three Timers

The JR 11X has three timers and they are extremely flexible and easy to use. They are individually programmable, can be used to count down or as stop watches. On three of my simple electric sailplanes I use two timers as stop watches. I have one programmed to start and stop with the timer button, the bottom left button by the monitor. I use that one to keep track of the time the motor is running. The second timer is also in stopwatch mode and is on my Auxiliary 2 switch. I use it to time the time aloft with the motor off. I also use it at the slope for the time a plane is airborne. A wide number of switches can be programmed to start and the stop the timers. I have used the flap switch with a third timer in countdown mode just to be part of this review. The throttle control can be programmed to control a timer.

Servo Speed

The 11X allows the pilot to adjust the speed of a servo to slower than its normal speed (You can't make them faster than normal.) the speed of the servos can be adjusted on all 11 channels. Currently I am using the servo speed adjustment to have flaps on some of my scale planes deploy more slowly so they look more scale in operation. I also plan to program E-flite electric landing gear in the future to have them raise and lower more slowly to look more scale like in operation. the Instruction Manual gives an example of landing gear with landing gear doors. Since they can be programmed differently in both directions they can be set to have the doors open first and then have the gear go down and do it in the reverse fashion with gear going up first then the doors closing. All this done by adjusting the servo speed differently and precisely in both directions. That way there is no need for a gear door sequencer.

AutoAssign (Beginners Use with Caution!)

In the past I have seen pilots do some of the strangest alterations of control functions, just because they could. Then at the field they ask the local expert what is wrong with the transmitter? I am a strong believer in leaving things alone if they aren't broken. I say this because I don't want pilots changing things just for the sake of changing things. And for Pete's sake don't change it one way in one plane and three different ways in three other planes just because you can. I'll step down from my soap box now.

AutoAssign used by the experienced pilot can be a really nice feature. To use it go to the System List and highlight the "Device Sel" menu item and select it. On the next screen highlight the function you want to move. I have highlighted the Aux 2 function. Next select it by pushing down on the roller. the switch can be selected by either highlighting the desired switch with the roller and selecting it. I selected the elevator dual rate switch and selected and Aux 2 was moved to the elevator dual rate switch. Or I could have auto assigned it by simply moving the actual elevator dual rate switch on the face of the transmitter. When used for the right reason with planning and forethought this can be a great feature and of real assistance to the pilot in setting up his aircraft. Additionally it is easy to reassign to the original switches if that is desired.

Backlit, High Resolution LCD Monitor, 4 Gray-Scale Display

The monitor on the 11X has proven extremely easy to read whether I have been flying my Super Cub with lights at night or a sailplane at high noon. the lighting and the display have adjusted for the conditions so that I could read it. The words are nice and large so that I can read it with my older eyes in a quick glance. Crisp resolution and easy to read. I'm very happy with the monitor. True, the monitor isn't in color but I have no problems using this excellent gray scale monitor.

Computerized Mixes

For airplanes there are the standard mixes of: Aileron to Rudder, Aileron-To-Flap Mix, Elevator to Flap Mix, Rudder to Aileron/Elevator Mix and six more that can be custom designed to meet the needs of the most creative of pilots. Sailplane pilots have a Flaperon Mix, a Snap-Flap Mix, and Aileron-To-Rudder Mix, a Rudder-To-Spoiler Mix and custom designable mixes.

To assist with supervising and watching these functions there is even a Mix-Monitor Screen. this provides a convenient way to determine which mix functions are activated.

Fastest-response Processor & 2048 Resolution

I have no way to independently test or verify these claims scientifically. It is beyond my skill and equipment. I have found it to be a very responsive system even with 10 servos controlling six different functions. I yield to the electrical engineers to scientifically verify these claims.

Programming Flight Modes for Sailplanes

The ability to easily program my sailplanes is what first lead me to buy a JR 8303, then a JR XP9303 followed by an X9303. Now I have the JR 11X and programming the Flight Modes can be done basically the same way as with my previous transmitters. However, there are some additional options available for each type of aircraft. For full house sailplanes I like to use five Flight Modes. A flight mode represents an aircraft set-up and can include a number of specific items including: wing camber position, trim positions, Dual Rate/Expo settings, aileron differential and various program mixes. Most important for my full house sailplanes it means five different wing shapes by adjusting the camber of the trailing edge of the wing and some slightly different elevator settings. With my X9303 I used my flap switch for the first three and the Aux 2 switch for the 4th and 5th options. Since I knew how to do it that way I did the same with my 11X based on an article for programming the XP9303 by Sherman Knight. (More on that below.)

After reading the instruction manual on page 18 "Flight Modes (Sailplane)" I was initially confused. The instructions said the first three sailplane flight modes or wing shapes can be assigned to any of seven available 3-position switches. These seven switches are: "Flight mode switch, Motor switch, Butterfly switch, Rudder D/R switch, Elevator D/R switch, Aux 2 switch, Aileron D/R switch or inhibit." My problems with the instruction manual here are first that I only found six, 3-position switches, not seven. Secondly, I wasn't certain what they were referring too when they said: "Motor switch, Butterfly switch or inhibit switch." Page 8 gave identification to the switches on the transmitter but didn't give specific sailplane or helicopter terminology that is used in the manual and the three switches mentioned above were not named or identified. Let me simply say that the instruction manual could use some improvement and needs some corrections. I found most of what I read to be accurate but this is an example of some of the confusion.

The five Flight Modes that I use are Launch, Land, Cruise, Speed and Thermal. The principal differences between these is the adjustment of the trailing edges of the flaps and ailerons with some mixing of changes in the elevator's position. I used the 11X's Flap and Auxiliary 2 switches to change to and through the different flight modes. Launch is the first flight mode and it has several degrees of down in my flaps and ailerons. This gives a little boast of lift during the launch. In Cruise Mode I have neutral trailing edges for normal thermal searching flight. In Speed Mode I have 2-3 degrees of reflex in the flaps and ailerons. This causes my sailplane to drop a bit more quickly than in Cruise Mode but it lets the sailplane fly faster and is used to get out of sink or to fly over to a spotted thermal. My Thermal setting has a bit more down flap then my launch position but I have my ailerons neutral. I use it to have slightly slower flight for trying to core a small thermal and to help get more lift from my wing as well. My fifth and final position is the Landing position and I use a combination of down flaps and up ailerons so that both serve as brakes. I also have a little down elevator mixed in as otherwise my sailplane tends to balloon a little. Thanks to this programming with the flipping of one or two switches I can have any of five Flight Modes and the different wing shapes through movement of the sailplanes trailing edges. Some of this information can be found in the Instruction Manual starting on page 18. However, for detailed information see my reference to the article by Sherman Knight along with others, later in this review. The transmitter works very well, hopefully my references below can help pilots overcome most programming questions.

SD Computer Memory Card

The use of the SD card is a new feature for JR with the 11X transmitter. While my 11X arrived ready to use a computer card it did not come with an SD card. I went to a local computer store and purchased an SD card for my transmitter. I planned to buy a 1 or 2 GB card and have it dedicated to my 11X. However, the store had a 4 GB card on sale for less than $15.00 so I bought that for my 11X. The use of the SD card allows me to do several things very easily. This includes unlimited model memory programming. Sharing and saving my programming using my computer and upgrading my transmitter's software as needed from the comfort of my home. The SD card slot is accessed through the battery compartment. I just had to remove the battery door cover, lift the battery and insert the card. Then I put the battery back in place and replaced the battery door and the card was in place.

Updating the 11X Firmware via the SD Card

The method for updating the Firmware is explained in detail in an article on the Horizon Hobby Website. The access to the article is given later in this review. From the article I learned all that I needed to know to update the firmware on my 11X. The first step was to create a folder on the SD Card titled JR, and then create a subfolder titled VERUP in the JR folder. I did both of those things using my computer. I then went back to the article and clicked on "Updating the 11X Firmware via SD Card" and simply followed the directions. I clicked on the highlighted link to get to the current download which was: Download Firmware Version 0001-0102. I saved that down load to the SD card in the subfolder VERUP in the JR folder. I inserted the SD card into the card slot behind the battery and closed the battery compartment back up. Per the instructions I held the bottom left button by the monitor in while I turned on the 11X. I got a green LED at the top of the 11X and my monitor displayed the "Update Screen." Per instructions I turned off the 11X and the screen displayed: "Update in Progress." The green LED remained illuminated. Approximately a minute later the screen went dark and the green LED went out. I turned the transmitter back on and went to the "TX Settings" screen. There as shown in the picture below I saw that I had the new version 0001-0102 Firmware. Updating the firmware had been quick and easy. I just followed the clear instructions. Horizon Hobby also supplied a Product Support phone number in the article for anyone that had trouble performing the Firmware update.

30 Model Memory With Unlimited Models Using The SD Card

The 11X comes with 30 model memory. No memory card is needed to program up to 30 aircraft into the 11X. The aircraft can be any combination of planes, helis or sailplanes. The first 30 can be directly programmed into the transmitter. While some readers may doubt that there is a need for more than 30 model memory, many of you know better. The transmitter can be programmed for the selected aircraft, each aircraft using one of the 30 model slots in the transmitter. In order to fly a given aircraft the programming must be in one of the 30 model slots and that model must be selected as the active model because of memory match to fly it.

There are three different ways that the programming for a model can be copied. They all start by selecting the Copy/Erase option from the System List. A model can be copied from one Model Select location to another one of the 30 Model Select locations. this is a copy from Internal to Internal memory. Using a trainer cable a model can be copied to another 11X transmitter (But only copied to another 11X!) and this is called a transfer. What is new is that a model can be copied and thereby saved or shared to the SD card in the transmitter. The card can be removed and the data stored in a computer and from there shared with other pilots.

To store to the SD card the card must be in the transmitter. Select the Copy/Erase option from the System List. On the next screen select "Copy." Scroll down to the top "Internal" model. If it is the model that is to be copied continue scrolling to the second/bottom model. If it is not the model to be copied select the model and scroll to the desired model and select it. Now proceed to the bottom model. To save to the SD card click on the bottom "Internal." It should now read "SD Card." Next (And my Instruction Manual didn't mention this.) scroll to the right and select the dotted line beside and slightly below the "SD Card." When the dotted line is highlighted and selected the next screen allows the naming of the program to be saved (A name must be inserted!). I was saving my PT-17 so I named it PT-17. When I was done I pushed the OK button on the left. With a name now there a "Copy" heading appeared next to the bottom left switch. I pushed the bottom left button and the saving to the SD card started.

I am making it my standard practice to save the model programming to the SD memory card. Next I transfer the programming to my computer to save it. I have my models in the Internal memory, on the SD card and in my computer.

Erasing Model programming from one of the 30 Model Select Locations

I will continue to program aircraft into the 11X until at some point in the future all 30 model memory slots in the transmitter are filled and all 30 are also stored on my SD memory card. In the future I purchase an E-flite Rhapsody and I now have a 31st model I want to fly with my 11X. Since all 30 model memory slots are now full I must clear one of those model memory slots so I can set up a new program for the Rhapsody. I decide to use the slot held by my E-flite PT-17. I have already backed up the PT-17s programming (above) onto the SD card so when I delete it from the transmitter's model memory slot, I will still have the programming on the SD memory card.

I know the instructions don't say this: But the critical action to delete the programming of a model completely is to START the deletion/Erase process with a model selected other than the one that is to be deleted. I want to delete my Model 5, my PT-17. Accordingly I start the process with my model 6 selected.

Next, in the System's menu I go to the Copy/Erase option. I highlight it and then select it by pressing down on the roller. On the next screen I highlight and select the Erase option. To the right of the top erase it says "Internal" that is what I want to delete, an internal model. I next scroll down to the model select and select it and scroll to Model Five and select it. Having made this change I press the bottom left button where it says "Erase" next to it. That gives me a Yes/No button option. I push the Yes button. Model 5 is deleted and Model 6 appears back in that slot. Model 5 is completely removed and another model can be copied into that slot or a new model programmed from scratch in the number 5 Model Select. Should I later need my programming for my PT-17 that I just erased, it is one of the models in the SD memory card and I can Copy the PT-17 program in from the SD memory card to any open model memory slot in the transmitter. For now I can program my new Rhapsody into the slot.

Programming by the Model Designer is Coming for the 11X!

Several of the Horizon designers have discussed that they are working on making their preferred set-ups available as downloads via the computer for use on your transmitter. Example: John Redman has programmed his transmitter to have the set-up he likes to make his new scale E-flite Mustang P-51B fly in a scale like fashion. Horizon Hobby is working to make John's set-up available as a download that can be transferred into the 11X transmitter via the SD card. Other designers will have their programs available for downloading as well. They are working on this now and details are not available to this reviewer at this time but this is a feature that is being worked on for the future.

Presently, I can share my programming with anyone who has an 11X and a compatible computer. I save my programming to my SD card and then download it from the card into my computer and then forward it to a friend as an attachment. Pretty sweet to have a friend in Minnesota share his programming from his Stork Pro 2 sailplane and be able to upload it into my 11X and if all servos are properly centered be ready to go after carefully checking out all functions. (There may be a few minor alterations to account for differences in servo centering techniques.).

Some of the Many Additional Programming Features

Flight Mode Name

There are three Flight Modes available for airplanes, five for sailplanes and six for helicopters. New with the 11X is the ability to assign a pilot selected name to each of these Flight Modes. Create a custom name of up to six letters for each Flight mode and an abbreviated name of up to four characters.

Model Name

The model name shown on the main screen can now have up to 10-digits in the name. (Instruction Manuel said 16 was possible but I was happy with the ten I found.) Besides the 10 digit name it is very quick to program as shown in the video above as the cursor stays on the last letter entered and I scroll to the next letter from their instead of from the beginning of the characters as is the case with the 9303.

Warning

The Warning function sounds a warning if a selected Flight Mode, Switch position or throttle stick position is in an inappropriate start position when the transmitter is turned on. Additionally, the green LED comes on as well. With more complex planes with multiple functions this little feature can prevent an accidental crash by sounding a warning! Of course the pilot has to program in the Warning function aside from throttle position.

All Servos Hold

This function can be helpful in preventing an accident through servo movement during programming. It is not used in actual operation of the aircraft.

TX Settings

Allows some changes to the contrast on the monitor as well as the use and volume of functions such as trim, timers and a couple of others. It's there if change is desired.

Trainer: Master/Slave

The 11X can be used on either side of the Trainer/Buddy box when two transmitters are wired together for an instructor to allow a student to have control of the aircraft but be able to instantly take back that control. With the 11X the amount of control given to the student and like-wise the need to program the student's transmitter can be greatly reduced. the student can be limited to: throttle, ailerons, elevator and rudder using this programming.

Aircraft Wing Type and V-Tail Mix

4-different types of wing set-ups are available on the 11X. These are Normal, Flaperon, Delta and 4-Aileron. I used the Delta wing type with my Stryker. When using this wing type I noted the language on the servo controls were switched to reflect the controls actual mixed functions. V-Tail Mix allows the blending of the rudder and elevator functions on V-Tails.

The first three "Normal" wing types I flew were electric sailplanes getting power makeovers in a separate review. They were programmed using the "Acro" model "Type."

My Stryker was the first plane I programmed using the Delta wing type with my JR 11X.

My Stryker in flight and flying with a darn fine wingman.

Dual Channels

Flying a large aircraft and need a second channel for elevator, rudder, ailerons or all three? no problem for the versatile programming on the JR 11X.

My 11X Survived an Accidental 4 foot Drop "Test"

This was a not a planned part of this review but it regrettably did happen. I felt it worth reporting. It happened while flying helicopters at an indoor multipurpose room the night after I got my 11X. I was flying my Blade 120 SR using my 11X transmitter and was trimming out it's hover by adjusting the digital trim tabs. Another pilot started to fly his Trex 250. Out of the corner of my eye I saw the Trex coming at my head and picking up speed. I started to drop to one knee and batted the Trex up into the air with my 11X transmitter. When my knee hit the ground the 11X left my hand, it dropped four feet and bounced twice on the carpeted floor. I scrambled to pick up my transmitter and was able to land the Blade 120 SR. There was no damage to the 11X. Not a mark on it and the Blade flew fine on its own throughout the short ordeal. I was very lucky and I don't recommend anyone test their transmitters by dropping them at all. It happened and it survived without any damage. The Trex needed new rotor blades and a couple small parts but it was back in the air that night.

Instructions and Telemetry

While I have clearly stated that I think the JR 11X is an excellent transmitter. The Instruction Manual left room for improvements! As a person who has used the JR XP9303 and the X9303; I barely needed the instruction manual. As discussed above in the few places I most needed instruction I found some faults/omissions. Sherman Knight of Team JR has written extensively about the JR 9303 and I have found him tremendously helpful. In a posting in another Forum he stated from just reading the 11X manual:

"The new manual, in an effort to be short and direct, can be confusing. The manual also assumes (and rightly so) that you are familiar with some form of transmitter programming and understand the basic nomenclature of an aircraft and its flight control surfaces. The manual does not give you a cookbook approach to programming your aircraft. (I don't know of any manufacture that does) There are just too many variables."

I agreed with that quote after reading the Instruction Manual but before my hands on experience. Having gone Hands ON: I have discovered a few mistakes and omissions. For this review I read the entire instruction manual and for me I found it was basically helpful on most of the new functions. It gave a brief discussion of most of the features and how to access them. But it also had missing information and a few mistakes. Just a couple mistakes or omissions can create an impression that the manual is far more flawed than it really is! I also would have liked more information and I would love a "Cookbook" manual. Hopefully, Team JR will help them correct the mistakes and fill in the omissions in the current manual. I gave tips on the problems I experienced and how they were overcome above.

To those that like more instruction, I found help in the existing manuals for the 12X, the 9503 and 9303. Using my individual instruction manuals for the XP9303 really walked me through programming a plane, a sailplane and a start with programming helicopters. Hopefully a more detailed and accurate instruction manual is in the works and will be available on line. If not and at least for now, here are some suggestions from me. 1) Look for the three detailed instruction manuals for the 9303 as many of the main functions are the same or "close enough". The manuals for the 9303, the 9503 and the 12X can be viewed by going to: www.jrradios.com/Support/manuals.aspy 2) Go to Horizon Hobby and do a search for: "Articles." On the screen under articles click on "How to: Radio." That will take you to two pages of articles. There are six articles in particular that I recommend. They all deal with setting up planes using the XP 9303 but much of the information works very well with the 11X. For the newer pilot or simply a pilot new to JR the following seven articles should supply a lot of help. (I have printed them out and have them in a programming folder and I still refer to them today.) The first article I found was an explination on how to update the Firmware on the 11X via the SD card. "Keep Your JR 11X Current with the Newest Features." That was the instruction article mentioned above when I updated the Firmware.

The following articles have helped me with basic programming, originally with my 9303.

The JR XP Programming articles I recommend for use with the JR 11X

• Setting up the JR XP9303 Computer Radio by Sherman Knight (Excellent for all planes and sailplanes especially)
  • JR XP9303 Sailplane Set-Up Addendum by Joe Wurts
  • JR XP9303 Set-Up for Giant Scale Racing by Chris Justus
  • JR XP9303 Giant Scale Aerobatic Set-Up parts 1 & 2 by Baron Johnson
  • Programming Guide for the Hangar 9 1.50 Size P-51 by Danny Snyder

As part of this review I have checked with Horizon Hobby and the 11X is not capable of receiving Telemetry at this time. I can get real time telemetry using my Eagle Tree equipment. However, I prefer to review flight data, post flight using my Spektrum Data Logger or data from other on-board sources. It would have been a nice addition if the 11X had telemetry as some pilots desire it. But it is not available for the 11X.

Is This For a Beginner?

If a beginner wants to start with a great transmitter than the 11X system would be a great radio to use. However, being more realistic few beginners will want the expense or need the features offered in the JR 11X. This transmitter is more likely to be bought by the advanced intermediate to expert Sportsman pilot who is serious about their commitment to RC flying be it of helicopters, planes, sailplanes or all three. However, there is no reason that a beginner can't start with great equipment. But for a Beginner especially, it is important to have a more detailed and accurate instruction manual as discussed above.

Conclusion

The 11X has a nice modern look and a well balanced feel with easily located switches and sliders so I don't have to look for my controls while flying my aircraft. The SD card allows me to share my programs with others as well as save them in my computer and have the programming for an almost unlimited number of models available in the transmitter. Equally important I can upgrade the 11X's software at home using my computer and the SD card. Lots of goodies both new and continued from the X9303 and X9503 as discussed above but specifically I liked the new backlit high resolution display, the expanded options available in the flight modes and the AutoAssign switches (for experienced pilots). The "My List" feature lets me have quick access to just the programming used with each specific model. I really like having access to both the Function and System menus without having to turn off the transmitter. It didn't impress me when I read about it but I love it in practice! It is quicker and easier to program than my X9303 despite having a good many more programming options. I also like the improved Model Name function with 10 spaces available and quicker programming.

Most important to me I enjoy simply holding the 11X and using it to control my aircraft. The gimbals feel smooth and the transmitter fits comfortably in my hands. I can fly all day on one charge with this one transmitter. For my needs and purposes this transmitter has all the bells and whistles I will ever need. Being on 2.4GHz I can use her to control my tanks as well as my future warship. Sophisticated software for powerful yet easy programming that gives me superior control of my planes, sailplanes and helicopters.

Pluses and Minuses

Pluses

• 30 model memory plus plus plus with SD card
  • Backlit high resolution, 4 gray scale display
  • Programming can be shared and saved with SD card
  • Auto Assign switch selection
  • 11 channels with easy access back mounted levers
  • One transmitter for planes, helis and sailplanes
  • More programming options yet easier to program than my 9303

Minuses

• Instruction Manual has some mistakes/omissions and is weak for the first time JR user
  • No telemetry available for the 11X
Last edited by Michael Heer; Oct 01, 2010 at 01:03 PM..
Oct 01, 2010, 04:07 PM
We shall serve the Lord
WOW! That's a lot of information for one review. Nice job Mike.

Here's a programming question for you. Can any of the timers be programmed to turn on AND OFF purely by throttle stick position? I like to program my electrics, and specially my powered gliders, to know the amount of time I have run the motor. I like my countdown timer to start when I advance the throttle above 15% and stop when I bring the throttle back below 15%. This way I know approximately how much motor run time I have left even after I've been flying for over 30 minutes in thermals. ----- OK the real reason I like this function is that I can't remember to push the Timer button. My 9503 doesn't have this function, but maybe the 11X does.
McD
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Oct 01, 2010, 04:23 PM
Thread OP
Mike I will try and check that for you tonight. I know you can have a motor on/off switch serve as a timer as well but I am not sure (I don't know at all.) about any percentage of throttle stick movement. Mike H
Oct 01, 2010, 10:23 PM
lawndart aerobatic ace!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer

Here's a programming question for you. Can any of the timers be programmed to turn on AND OFF purely by throttle stick position? I like to program my electrics, and specially my powered gliders, to know the amount of time I have run the motor. I like my countdown timer to start when I advance the throttle above 15% and stop when I bring the throttle back below 15%.
The way I've found to do this is to go into the stick postion switch menu, change sps0 or sps1 to throttle, SYM:OFF, AREA:HIGH , then adjust the POS position to the point you want to turn the timer on at. Once you have that set you can go into the timer menu and change the start and the stop to whichever stick switch you chose, either SPS0 or SPS1. That will enable the timer to be operated by your throttle stick postion. I use the setup to fly my electrics for the same reason your wanting to. Keep track of my overall motor on time, and because I sometimes forget to turn the timer on.
Oct 01, 2010, 11:09 PM
Mike,
An excellent review, as usual. I have JR and Spektrum (and a few other makes) radios plus used to do various articles for several model magazines. The previous question about downloaded (?) displayed readout of an electric plane's power status matches a similar question that concerns another missing feature in RC radios; where is the readout of the power/time available in the transmitter use? This type of display has been incorporated in most electronic devices for several years to let you know when to shut down and recharge. Similarly, why doesn't the charger at least indicate when charging is complete? The dumb red lights on the wall wart never goes out!
Buy a cheap RC toy and it shows when it is finished charging, but this $750 radio is too dumb to include something this basic.
Yesterday, I climbed a 120' high sand dune for perfect slope gliding conditions. Before leaving home, A Rx battery had to be scrounged up that looked like it had enough power/voltage. Two hour delay. The Tx read 10.6 volts; OK. When the glider was launched, it was 10.4 volts. Five minutes later it was down to 9.8 volts. Made a quick safe landing.
My cheap cell phone has a better charger/status system than the glitzy RC radio. This is something missing by all the manufacturers.
Again, you did a great job with what they gave you. Maybe you have influence to get the missing indicators installed.
Used to tell young engineers, "You weren't hired to design a gold-plated cannon ball".
Oct 02, 2010, 08:49 AM
RIP Azarr - "Old age is not for sissies"
Jim, I had a similar problem with my 12X batteries and charger. It seems to me like they cheaped out on the batteries. I agree with your comments about the toys also. I ended up replacing my batteries in the 12X with Sanyo eneloops, a great move but not something one should have to do on an expensive transmitter.

The SD card is a definite plus, good to see them on the bandwagon with this one.

I'd still like to see JR do away with the analog trim on the throttle. Up until spektrum, I'd always flown Futaba and one of the features I really like was the ability to assign cross trims. Perfect for trimming, the right trims control the left stick and vice versa. You never have to take your hand off the surface you're trying to trim. With an analog trim thrown in the mix, that's not a possibility.

Azarr
Oct 02, 2010, 08:59 AM
RIP Azarr - "Old age is not for sissies"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer

OK the real reason I like this function is that I can't remember to push the Timer button. My 9503 doesn't have this function, but maybe the 11X does.
McD
The 9503 can be programmed to use the throttle stick to activate the timer. It's explained on page A-47 of the manual. That was one of the few differences between the 9303 and 9503. I agree the button pushing is a pain when I was using the DX7 I'd forget to push it all the time.

Azarr
Oct 02, 2010, 12:50 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr
The 9503 can be programmed to use the throttle stick to activate the timer. It's explained on page A-47 of the manual. That was one of the few differences between the 9303 and 9503. I agree the button pushing is a pain when I was using the DX7 I'd forget to push it all the time.

Azarr
Thanks Azarr. I had previously setup the throttle stick activation through the timer menu on my 9503, and it would start the timer when the stick exceeded the percentage of throttle set. However, when you moved the stick back to idle, the timer continued to run. I'll check out A-47 in the manual.

McD
Oct 02, 2010, 01:17 PM
Thread OP
Hi Mike:
The GR8taz answered your question and Azarr supplied good info as well. I got wrapped up in the Giants game last night and an early morning Ryder Cup party today. Mike Heer
Oct 02, 2010, 03:16 PM
Will fly for food
You are supposed to be able to make the X9503 timer turn back off, but it you fly helis, it is based on stick position, NOT throttle output. So full negative pitch will shut off the timer also. One reason I didn't get one.
Oct 02, 2010, 06:34 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Mike-

Have you ever flown Futaba? I'm currently running a 10C and am thinking about going either to the DX8 or the 11X.. Kinda different ends of the spectrum, but I don't think I'm going to use most of the features of any radio on the market - I know I don't with my 10C..

Anyway, just wanted to see if you had done much Futaba programming - I have been less than impressed with the programming in Spektrum radios and am worried the 11X is going to be like the DX6i's I have helped program - miserable!
Oct 02, 2010, 08:01 PM
Time for me to Fly...
I fly an 11X and an ATX SD-10G. If you want easy programming the SD-10G is as easy as it gets for a pro class radio. That said the 11X fits my hands better so that's the one I'm going to stick with.
Latest blog entry: Something old is new again
Oct 02, 2010, 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram
. . . - I have been less than impressed with the programming in Spektrum radios and am worried the 11X is going to be like the DX6i's I have helped program - miserable!
I haven't programmed either a Futaba or a DX6. I did own a DX7 and the 11X programming is far beyond it. Its programming capability is nearly that of the 12x, and in a few areas, exceeds it. JR's programming philosophy is for you tell the transmitter in the general term what functions you want and then it assigns the channels and arranges the menus for the subsequent programming steps. To a certain degree you can alter the assignments made by the transmitter.

Allan
Oct 02, 2010, 08:54 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Allan-

Thanks for the heads up!
Oct 02, 2010, 09:04 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Tram, I've looked at a DX8 at my LHS and I have to say I like it's programming better than my 9503. I think I even prefer the DX8 to my Futaba 9C Super when it comes to setting up the wing types. My advice would be to go to a good LHS and play with the programming on both an 11X and a DX8.
McD

Quick Reply