New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:15 PM
Find More Posts by ManTownMedia
Quad Squad
Thanks guys. Nobody else was there - just me. So, I propped up my iPad to take the video - right on the ground. Most of the footage was not usable - I was flying 3 mistakes high so you are just seeing my takeoff (not that scale and right into the wind) and then the taxi back to the station. If I fly tomorrow, maybe I can get someone to video it.

This is a the Tricounty Barnstormers field near New Waverly, TX and the club put this black material that looks like a heavyweight version of the landscaping covering to block weeds. Before it was quite loose but I think they stretched it fairly well so it is smooth and painted with stripes like a real airfield.

Post flight, I noticed that I had to adjust the all metal E-Flite retracts and spent more time hardening the plywood and holes where the retracts are screwed in...Next mod is to use my shock absorbing struts that I bought for this bird - but it will will require more dremeling of the 5 mm struts to make it fit better than the stock coil type struts.
Last edited by ManTownMedia; Nov 17, 2012 at 07:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:46 AM
Find More Posts by britcardoc

Retract " SPECIAL" Y connector?

Just read in the instructions that a special y connector comes with the eflite retracts. ????

I bought a set off ebay used....what is special about the Y connector? Do I use one I have or will I need eflites? Is it a reverser in one leg? I have one of those.

Congrats on the first flight.

Introduction: BritCarDoc is a lifelong modeler, have the first freeflight trophy and original AMA number still from 1955. I've flown a little of everything. Kavan Jet Ranger when they were first out in the 70's, Quarter Midgets, Pattern, 1/2 A, fly SPA old timer pattern now but fly lots of eflite too. Ran a hobby shop for a while too.

Have always loved the B model Mustang and am really excited to be building this one.

So what is the deal with the special y harness?
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:48 AM
Find More Posts by Tom Hunt
got any foam to bash?
Quote:
Originally Posted by britcardoc View Post
Introduction: BritCarDoc is a lifelong modeler, have the first freeflight trophy So what is the deal with the special y harness?
I have not pulled one appart yet, but I suspect it is just a "choke" to prevent noise from the retract motors getting back to the Rx.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:49 AM
Find More Posts by pmmartin
Fly Every Day
Quote:
Originally Posted by britcardoc View Post
Just read in the instructions that a special y connector comes with the eflite retracts. ????

I bought a set off ebay used....what is special about the Y connector? Do I use one I have or will I need eflites? Is it a reverser in one leg? I have one of those.

Congrats on the first flight.

Introduction: BritCarDoc is a lifelong modeler, have the first freeflight trophy and original AMA number still from 1955. I've flown a little of everything. Kavan Jet Ranger when they were first out in the 70's, Quarter Midgets, Pattern, 1/2 A, fly SPA old timer pattern now but fly lots of eflite too. Ran a hobby shop for a while too.

Have always loved the B model Mustang and am really excited to be building this one.

So what is the deal with the special y harness?
It is only special for tricycle landing gear setup. It is a three way "Y". For two wheels it is a normal "Y".
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:34 AM
Find More Posts by skydve76
More jets than a carburetor
Its a servo amplifier and I have had issues with several if those.
Last edited by skydve76; Nov 18, 2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:44 AM
Find More Posts by V2rider
No idea what is special about the E-Flite y harness, but I know the retracts work fine with a regular y harness. I couldn't find the y for the retracts when I put my H9 Mustang together so I just used a regular 6" y harness. I have about 50 flights on it with no problems at all. I do run a seperate rx pack on that plane so there is always plenty of power for the servos and retracts.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:33 PM
Find More Posts by JLogan
AMA#313760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hunt View Post
I have not pulled one appart yet, but I suspect it is just a "choke" to prevent noise from the retract motors getting back to the Rx.
My guess as well

John
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:06 PM
Find More Posts by danpos
Double post...sorry
Last edited by danpos; Nov 18, 2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:22 PM
I have a spare Tacon 25 870kv motor and I'm thinking about putting it in my other Mustang.
According to ecalc it should work well on a 11x7x2 or an 11x8x2.
Has anyone done a direct comparison between a power 25 and a power 32 with this plane yet?

I spent four hours flying my P-51B on a G32 770kv with a 13x6.5x2 propeller today.
Most of my flying time was at 3/4 to full throttle.
I kept easing it back of full when I noticed I was there.
So I put the 13x8x2 TGS sport prop. back on.
It's there to stay this time.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:35 PM
Find More Posts by LICobra
Warbird Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by danpos View Post
I have a spare Tacon 25 870kv motor and I'm thinking about putting it in my other Mustang.
According to ecalc it should work well on a 11x7x2 or an 11x8x2.
Has anyone done a direct comparison between a power 25 and a power 32 with this plane yet?

I spent four hours flying my P-51B on a G32 770kv with a 13x6.5x2 propeller today.
Most of my flying time was at 3/4 to full throttle.
I kept easing it back of full when I noticed I was there.
So I put the 13x8x2 TGS sport prop. back on.
It's there to stay this time.
When I first flew the "B" with the stock recommended setup, I didn't like the performance of the 13X6.5. The 13X8 gave the speed I expected.

A 25 sized motor might fly get the "B" in the air, but I can't see it flying this 6lb airplane with any authority
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:55 PM
Find More Posts by ManTownMedia
Quad Squad
Mine has the G32 from HobbyKing with a 4s and a 5s battery. My prop is a 13x8 and it worked fine. I have not used any special Y connectors - just the std ones that I already had from other planes for the retracts.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICobra View Post
When I first flew the "B" with the stock recommended setup, I didn't like the performance of the 13X6.5. The 13X8 gave the speed I expected.

A 25 sized motor might fly get the "B" in the air, but I can't see it flying this 6lb airplane with any authority
Yes I imagined flying this plane on a power 25 would be very underpowered.
I'm just exploring options where I have a second one ready to be completed.
Longer flight times is why I was curious about a power 25.

Has anyone tried a Eflite BL32 size 1010kv brushless out runner motor on this plane?
The other option is a Power46?
If I'm going to build another one I want it to be different power wise.
Last edited by danpos; Nov 19, 2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:50 AM
Find More Posts by sbakr23
Quote:
Originally Posted by danpos View Post
Yes I imagined flying this plane on a power 25 would be very underpowered.
I'm just exploring options where I have a second one ready to be completed.
Longer flight times is why I was curious about a power 25.

Has anyone tried a Eflite BL32 size 1010kv brushless out runner motor on this plane?
The other option is a Power46?
If I'm going to build another one I want it to be different power wise.
I've been flying mine with the eflite power46 on 5 cells 4000mAh 40c with a 13x8 2 blade, and the performance is great. Am getting 52.6 amps on a fresh batt. but I dont fly this one wot much, I did limit the throttle to 85% to keep the amps from going over 45 I didnt want to stress the motor since there isnt any need for the extra power with this plane.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbakr23 View Post
I've been flying mine with the eflite power46 on 5 cells 4000mAh 40c with a 13x8 2 blade, and the performance is great. Am getting 52.6 amps on a fresh batt. but I dont fly this one wot much, I did limit the throttle to 85% to keep the amps from going over 45 I didnt want to stress the motor since there isnt any need for the extra power with this plane.
Did you try the Power46 on a 4 cell?
I didn't want to run this on a 5 cell, I have plenty of 4 S but only one 5S.

I finally applied the dull coat to my P51-B. Looks better even after the first coat.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:06 AM
Find More Posts by SmokeDogg
"Fly Low, Fly Fast, Turn Left"
The power 46 has a sweet spot for 5s and a 13x8. Got a few planes with that setup and love it!

If you were to try 4s just run the p32 with a 13x8! Flys great with that setup. 5s on a p32 with a 12x8 picks up some speed...