Jun 29, 2003, 10:08 PM
Thread OP

Anyone know of a Junkers Ju-87 Stuka kit or ARTF?

I would really love to see a model of this famous (or incredibly infamous) dive bomber. Does anyone have any information on where one could be purchased?

Scratch building one would be a bit of a nightmare for me unless it was laser cut (you shoulda seen my Guillows - was about as heavy as a Panzer when finished, and looked as square.)

A foam backyard or field flyer with a scale appearance would be great. Perhaps powered by a Speed 300 motor or something similar. Seems like the perfect plane for some low-and-slow dive bombing! Perhaps a nice little bomb load nestled in the undercarriage for scale strafing and ground-remodelling.

Any info on who might make one would be of great interest. Any comments on the idea are perfectly welcome as well.
Thanks.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 29, 2003, 10:30 PM
If you find one sign me up as well!! I started a scratch one off of guillows plans last month in fanfold. Got the wing and tail feathers done and then got busy. Fuse is going to be a booger!

Hey Mr. Lin.. Are you listening!!! Sounds like a great plane for GWS!

Steve
Jun 29, 2003, 10:47 PM
D W
D W
I love you man.
Hoe'd you guys miss this?!:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...uka+divebomber

STILL not flown. I have some aileron issues to work out. Otherwise she's good to go.
Still don't know how designer even knew what a Stuka looked like in 1941. Like us designing a model Joint Strike Fighter?

-David-
Jun 30, 2003, 07:36 AM
Hey David. That's a great looking plane! I had followed your thread on building it. I just have not had any real luck with balsa kits. I built many of them when I was younger and even built some static ones a few years before I got into RC. I just have not had any success (translates as never finished one) for RC. I always get bogged down and never finish! Looking at planes as nice as yours can get one motivated though!
Cheers,
Steve
Jun 30, 2003, 07:49 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the info! Guess I missed that Stuka building thread.
Jun 30, 2003, 09:10 AM

In GWS future?

Mr. Lin told a friend of mine at the AMA convention this past January that one of the future warbirds for GWS would be the Stuka. That would be great but only if they do the wheels and landing gear housing properly. Don't hold your breath but it is a possibility.
Jun 30, 2003, 09:14 AM
Get some three views and a foam cutter. Done deal.
Jun 30, 2003, 01:16 PM
Professional idiot
Quote:
Originally posted by D W
Still don't know how designer even knew what a Stuka looked like in 1941. Like us designing a model Joint Strike Fighter?
By 1941 it had been flying for 6 years and seen service in 2 wars, by that point it was probably the most widely known and certainly feared aircraft in the world. They probably didn't base the design on a set of accuarate three views though. Mind you even these days some models/plans are way off the mark scale wise.

--
Dave
Last edited by wildpalms; Jun 30, 2003 at 01:20 PM.
Jun 30, 2003, 06:14 PM
D W
D W
I love you man.
Hey, THANKS Dave,
I appreciate the response and I hope we ALL appreciate your service in defense of our way of life.
Cheers mate!!!
-David-
Jul 01, 2003, 07:55 AM
You read my mind - I was only thinking yesterday about the stuka.

As a slightly more current option I have also wondered about a twin 280 or similar powered Cessna O2 (push/pull motor arrangment!)
Jul 01, 2003, 08:09 AM

Cox U-control Stuka

My flying hobby started with balsa gliders and rubber band powered planes but I remember fondly getting a big black Cox Stuka dive bomber that came with a red plastic bomb that you could drop in flight. After i got the plane it took me weeks to get the money i need to buy the starter kit with the gas and glow plug but I looked at my Stuka every day and flew it in my mind. Then the big day came and I got the starter kit. After about 20 tries we got the motor running and adjusted the needle so it was really screaming. I took off and gave too much up elevator and did a loop and destroyed that plane in less then five seconds of flying time. But I was hooked. I may get a Stuka one of these days and convert it to electric.
Jul 01, 2003, 04:33 PM
I have the Gillows kit which needs modifications to convert to electric. Still in the process of building. I sheeted the fusalage and part of the main wing with 1/32 inch lightweight balsa, with a s300 and E tec 1200 I believe the final AUW to be 10 oz. with a wing loading of 7.7 oz./sq ft. Its looking good so far, and I think its going to be a good flyer. The Gillows wood is heavyer so holes and cutting of extra materials was done. The structure when sheeted is very strong and relatively light, and it retains all those interesting curved shapes.
Mar 07, 2009, 10:07 AM
I know this thread is 6 years old but here's mine.

Quick Reply