Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by maguro, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 09, 2018, 03:48 PM
OpenTX University Staff
The tuft test I did a few years ago shows that the vortex sheds and reforms a lot when maneuvering the plane. I don’t believe the concave step would do much to change this, but as Jack said, we don’t have any testing to document what it might do.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 09, 2018, 04:34 PM
Hereís a paper on a KFm1, which is referred to in this paper as a cusp airfoil vs. NACA 0015.
Jul 10, 2018, 03:13 PM
The KF Trapped Vortex applied to a YAWT.

VAWT LENZ2 (0 min 58 sec)
Jul 10, 2018, 03:25 PM
Here is an interesting comparison between a propeller and trapped vortex.

Der Vergleich: ElvWiS vs HAWT (5 min 31 sec)
Jul 10, 2018, 04:32 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
That is an array of S type turbines. I can't see how that relates to anything KF.
Jul 10, 2018, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers
That is an array of S type turbines. I can't see how that relates to anything KF.
Whiskers.... everyone sees the world through their own eyes differently. When we filed for a patent back in 1971, we claimed that our airfoil with a step produced a vortex attachment. I also stated this in my Ultimate Paper Airplane book in 1985. My view is that when an airfoil creates a vortex, it produces slight forward pressure as well as stall resistance. This wind turbine uses a similar principle. As far as I know, Floyd and I were the first ones to introduce a vortex capture in aerodynamics.

However, you are entitled to your perception. And, I am entitled to mine. It is whatever it is.
Jul 10, 2018, 07:51 PM
No, The S type turbine works on the simple principal that the concave side has greater drag than the convex side and so in an airflow the thing rotates.
Just a simple result of differential drag.
In the array depicted the S elements are rotated relative to each other to produce smoother torque.
Jul 10, 2018, 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers
No, The S type turbine works on the simple principal that the concave side has greater drag than the convex side and so in an airflow the thing rotates.
Just a simple result of differential drag.
In the array depicted the S elements are rotated relative to each other to produce smoother torque.
Okay.
Jul 10, 2018, 10:18 PM
The other examples you have posted were of the KF variety.
This particular one, which is not, managed to sneak through under false colours
Jul 15, 2018, 11:34 AM
Here is an interesting comparison between a Kelso wind turbine, which appears to have a step and a conventional propeller.

The Kelso (0 min 16 sec)
Jul 16, 2018, 09:13 AM
Jack
Is the motion on that 5 bladed fan in the background arrested by the camer's frame rate? Or is it turning that slow?

Jack
Jul 16, 2018, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes
Is the motion on that 5 bladed fan in the background arrested by the camer's frame rate? Or is it turning that slow?

Jack
Jack....
Donít know the answer to that one. I think that this video was posted in 2010, so it has been around a while.

Here is a KFm4 and a KFm2, but I donít have any info on them. Also, a close-up viewing from the trailing edge of the KFm4.

Eolienne axe vertical Vawt C-rotor canstein type (1 min 42 sec)

Lenz2 Turbine from recycled materials. (1 min 0 sec)
Jul 16, 2018, 01:54 PM
For anyone who wants to build a backyard KF wind turbine... here it is.

Open Source Wind Turbine v1.0 - Construction Tutorial Animation (6 min 25 sec)
Jul 18, 2018, 05:11 PM
This is a Vimeo video of a ParaGlider using a KFm1 type of airfoil.

https://vimeo.com/ozone/xxlite

Quick Reply