This thread is privately moderated by haiduk, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 22, 2010, 01:34 AM
Pronounced "High Duck"
Thread OP
Discussion

GWS Zero

Just got this one mostly finished. Did several mods including rebuilding the wing saddle to fix the incidence, firewall mounted a 400 sized outrunner, built new landing gear pads, carbon fiber spar, glassed the inside of the fuselage to reinforce the wing saddle area (and slightly aft), bent new tail wheel wire, covered with light silkspan/WBPU.

I didn't like the idea of simply using velcro to attach the canopy so I modified that area and made the cockpit removeable to access the battery. Can get the lipo all the way up to the firewall easily.

My final flying weight came out at 15.8 ounces with the CoG right at 57mm with the battery all the way forward. I'm going to try the stock landing gear wire for the maiden flight, but I'm afraid it's a bit too wimpy. Will give the stock gear a shot before making gear doors. I'm thinking I will have to bend new gear from 3/32" music wire like most of my other GWS warbirds.

A cell phone video of the maiden flight:
Haiduk's GWS Zero Maiden Flight 8-22-2010 (1 min 42 sec)

(Photos are somewhat fuzzy due to the camera phone used to take the pictures)
Last edited by haiduk; Feb 17, 2012 at 12:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply