Star Trek Voyager - New Video! Plans and Kits available!! - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 21, 2010, 11:55 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Cool

Star Trek Voyager - New Video! Plans and Kits available!!

Been thinking about this one for a long time.

Recently a few people requested it. So i had a little time to work on it.

20" wide - 50" Long.

My regular hardware - Towerpro cheap brushless motors maybe a 2408-21 or a 2409-12 we will see how much weight i need.

I decided to go at it just like Version 2 of the Enterprise-D. Triple Lamination fuse, reinforcing carbon tubes, big control surfaces. I did put the motor on the fuse side instead of the saucer side this time. I have a lot more room to work with for CG.. i think.

I like it a lot! We'll see when i get some time for a build.

**************UPDATE***************

Plans and Kits are now available!!

Check out www.sg-ideas.com for kits.

CG for this plane is right at the back of the Saucer Step.
Last edited by SGTalon; Feb 23, 2014 at 01:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 22, 2010, 06:49 AM
Looks good SG ,, but I still like the enterprize best
Aug 22, 2010, 06:49 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
SGT Looks Super !!!! (we need a thumbs up smilie for times like this ) ... 50" long
Aug 22, 2010, 08:59 AM
treefinder
Dennis: this one just screams out for a real saucer, top and bottom disc cut out and a pie cut then glue edge together, make a "real" airfoil?

OK, Ok, too much work......
Aug 22, 2010, 10:36 AM
gpw
gpw
I'd be willing to bet it would be really STABLE , especially with the nacelles in the "warp" position ... all that vertical area aft of the CG should make it very yaw stable too .... COOL !!!

Didn't see a side shot... is there any incidence between the saucer and the back section , like a Dart ... sorta' ... Surely we'll want it to Hover hahahahaha
Aug 22, 2010, 01:15 PM

Super
Aug 22, 2010, 01:43 PM
Right now the nacelles are flat. I thought about maybe putting the bend in them. But I haven't decided yet.

I think this thing will fly great the way it is. Definitely worth a try anyways.

Mike, are you nuts? Have you ever known me to do extra work like that? I actually did think about it though. The problem with it is the airfoil on this thing would probably make it LESS stable. And it is a very wierd shape. Be hard to make it all fit.
Aug 22, 2010, 07:40 PM
she looks great! hope it works out I'd love to see her fly.
Aug 22, 2010, 07:54 PM
Grass you have seen my other designs right? Click my name.
Aug 22, 2010, 08:08 PM
The world in foam & tissue

Starting to gather skins reference data...

Just looking! Gotta finish "E-D" first!
Aug 22, 2010, 08:16 PM
Steve, what is the resolution on those pics? They look great just the way they are!

Remember that i am going with 20" span and 50" long!
Aug 22, 2010, 09:34 PM
treefinder
I didn't say I thought you'd do it, or even should do it, just that it really "wants" it! 8^)
Aug 23, 2010, 06:27 AM
The world in foam & tissue
Unfortunatly 72 dpi at 2.5X11...in other words not suitable for our needs.
To bad or I'd Photoshop that puppy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTalon
Steve, what is the resolution on those pics? They look great just the way they are!

Remember that i am going with 20" span and 50" long!
Aug 23, 2010, 09:50 AM
SO after further review i think i am going to offer the Nacelles as an "up or flat" option.

Be stronger flat but up would look awesome and be more stable... i think

Pretty sure i am going to build this soon. Maybe this week even. I am waiting on hardware for some Enterprise Kits that i need to build so I have a window.
Aug 23, 2010, 09:58 AM
gpw
gpw
They could be heat bent over a 1/4' radius and be pretty strong ... or strong enough ...
I keep seeing this as a big Dart (if I squint really hard and use my imagination ) so continue thinking a SLIGHT positive incidence on the saucer would beneficial in flight ...JMHO ... Small chuck glider test model would tell all ...