Aug 19, 2010, 02:26 PM
altitude adjustment
Thread OP
Discussion

Reichard MAXX F5J

Came up on this today: http://www.hobbyclub.com/product_inf...oducts_id=1133

Anyone know anything about this glider? Looks like a good "electric DLG" type glider. 2m to boot!

mark
to remove ads between posts
Oct 29, 2010, 11:43 PM
Mark:
Check on Blogs under "HobbyClub", we posted today some comments and photos,

rgds,

Alberto
Oct 30, 2010, 03:36 AM
You may be interested that this model has been designed specifically to our F5J outrunner category flown in Middle and Eastern Europe. The rules call for a 2208/2826 direct drive outrunner, 2 Lipos, propeller with min 250 mm in diameter (10"), and AUW min 500 grams (this specification has been supposed to replace Speed 400). It is very popular over here with maybe 100 pilots from the Czech Republic only competing.

Jan

PS: I have nothing to do with Reichard except for flying their Mefisto :-)
Last edited by DingoII; Oct 30, 2010 at 02:15 PM. Reason: my bad English :)
Oct 30, 2010, 12:20 PM
You looking at me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoII
You may be interested that this model has been designed specifically to our F5J outrunner category flown in Middle and Eastern Europe. The rules call for a 2208/2826 direct drive outrunner, 2 Lipos, propeller with min 250 mm in diameter (10"), and AUW min 500 grams (this specification has been supposed to replace Speed 400). It is very popular over here with maybe 100 pilots from the Czech Republic only competing.

Jan

PS: I have nothing to do with Reichard except flying their Mefisto :-)
Could you point me to a set of rules for this event?

Ed
Oct 30, 2010, 02:14 PM
Ed,

Here you are - http://f5jfun.com/pravidla/euro2010_308.pdf

It is still "live", now the changes for 2011 are being discussed. Basically, it is as follows:
- model as defined above
- single climb, motor run time in discretion of the pilot (called Variable Motor Run here), only glide seconds count
- Man-on-Man with rotation matrices
- qualification rounds 10 minutes, finale 15 minutes

The guys who are behind this concepts are RCG members, perhaps they can step in and explain it better

Jan
Oct 31, 2010, 10:27 AM
Tailspin
Interesting rules, hope we never go there.

Being a CD, there is too much to detail to manage. Never want to specify or limit products as they change daily. Just specify the boundaries they must meet.

Jack
Oct 31, 2010, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiafret
Interesting rules, hope we never go there.

Being a CD, there is too much to detail to manage. Never want to specify or limit products as they change daily. Just specify the boundaries they must meet.

Jack
Exactly, I call these rules Prussian (and they beat me for that ). Anyway, the model definition is IMO good.

Jan
Jun 09, 2011, 03:19 PM
Rocket geek
I'm working on building my Maxx. I think I'm going to love it, since it's about half the weight of my Radian Pro and seems like it will have about half the drag, too. My only complaint about the plane so far is that the flaps and the ailerons don't meet at the trailing edge, for some reason; there's about 1" of fixed wing in between them. I'd rather keep my trailing edge aligned for less drag. It probably won't make much difference, so it's just a quibble.

The ordering experience, on the other hand, has been a really bad one for me. I haven't ever bashed a vendor in public, and I don't want to start now, but if you're wondering which dealer to buy from and are interested in my opinion about who not to go with, send me a PM and I'll relate my experience.

Edit: Upon further reflection, I'll just publicly state what I would describe in a PM. It's not fair to have the other party wonder what I'm saying about what happened. I'll try doing it on my blog so I don't clutter up a thread with this junk.
Last edited by Adrian A; Jun 10, 2011 at 10:12 PM.
Jun 13, 2011, 05:57 PM
Mesa AZ, it's a dry heat!

Maxx

Adrian, I read the blog, and the other posts here with interest. I was one of the earlier buyers of the MAXX form Alberto.
I have dealt with Alberto for many years both at his store and over the internet and have found him to be most helpful.
I think your experience was unusual, and I am sure not typical of the majority, but sometimes things do conspire to mess thing up!.

I hope you enjoy your MAXX as much as I enjoy mine. It is my #1 model for ALES this year.

Regards

Iain
Jun 13, 2011, 09:44 PM
Rocket geek
Glad to hear that my experience may be atypical.

I'm still learning how to fly the Maxx, and working through setup issues.

I have been getting a lot of fades and several holds, and got a scare this evening when it was high and flying away from me and was noticeably non-responsive for a moment. I may need to invest in a carbon-friendly receiver. I have a Spektrum DX8 and AR800 receiver, and I have the remote receiver against the top of the pod, with the antennas poking out either side through drilled holes. I may try re-drilling the holes on the narrower part of the pod so that more of the antennas are exposed. Is there any way to get better performance out of the antennas without needing to stick them out, adding drag?

The Black Magic motor, with its relatively high Kv rating plus a 10x8 prop, make for huge climb rates, and a motor that quickly gets hot. Unfortunately, it stays hot due to a lack of ventilation in the pod. (based on temperature telemetry from the DX8) I have a turbo spinner on order, in hopes that that will keep the motor and the rest of the electronics cooler. I'm also going to give a less-aggressive 10x7 and 10x6 prop a try. With my current setup, the climb rate is a bit too much of a good thing, since I'm at the limits of comfort with my radio and visuals after about 15 seconds, and I have to climb vertically to keep the speed down.

I'm also having some trouble with the covering, which for me is metallic green-gold on the underside of the wings. Yesterday when I was flying, the wings disappeared against a clear sky at surprisingly close range. The wing undersides were almost an exact match for the darkness of the sky. I'm debating about whether I should apply black with adhesive trim or peel off the gold and replace it with block ultracote.

On the plus side, I'm really happy with the plane's glide ratio, especially at speed. I'm still getting used to the glide path, and have been surprised several times with the Maxx zipping over my head at high speed when I thought I was on final approach. Flaps help a lot, and I'm getting better at using them. I'm also working on coordinating my turns, and playing with differential and rudder mixing settings.
Last edited by Adrian A; Jun 13, 2011 at 09:51 PM.
Jun 14, 2011, 09:37 AM

Reichard Magic ALES-LMR-F5J 2.0m under 20oz AUW

Adrian:
I personally do not have any experience with Spectrum a/o JR
I do fly with Futaba, but Mike Lee that did a FLY R/C Magazine review on the MAXX wrote:

Hi Alberto,

"The rx set up in the Maxx is done with an AR500 to start with. It is mounted just ahead of the servo tray. The short antenna of the rx is poked out the side of the fuselage, just ahead of the wing pylon. The long antenna is routed to exit just at the rear of the pylon facing the tail. I also did a bit of experiment with this antenna. I mated a second wire to the final 32-mm of the antenna to make a "Y' shaped antenna. In my experiments, I found this added not only diversity to the antenna, but far greater sensitivity. It is not soldered on. Instead, it is simply run side-by-side with the normal antenna and held in place with heat shrink. Photo attached. The radio works flawlessly."

Hope this will help on the radio part. As for the bottom color of the wing,
I suggest adding some dark stripes, either black or dark blue.

The pod of the MAXX shows up on the front, a couple of places where
you can open-up for cooling purposes.

But, since on this type of model the motor is only run on short periods of time
eg: 15-20 sec, the use of a cooling turbo spinner might solve the issue,

Alberto
Jun 15, 2011, 09:41 PM
Rocket geek
My new turbo spinner and props arrived today. The spinner is 36mm and is slightly larger diameter than ideal. The 33mm turbo might be a little bit better fit, though probably not as good of a match as the 38mm non-turbo one from Hobby Club. I decided to try the 10x6 aeronaut prop, and it worked well. I could still do a vertical climb, but it's not so frantic. That plus the turbo opening kept the motor cool enough that at the end of the flight it was just warm to the touch, rather than uncomfortably hot. The pod temperatures stayed pretty constant, too, based on temperature checks between flights.

I drilled new holes in the narrow part of the pod so that the two remote antennas would completely stick out from the pod. That noticeably helped with both the range test on the ground, and in the air. I flew it out farther from me than I did yesterday without any holds, but with lots of fades. On a subsequent flight, the flight log did record 2 holds that I didn't notice in the air, along with more fades. I'm going to have to learn more of the details about the antenna selection, etc. of this radio system in order to get more improvement.

I haven't done anything about the visual range yet, and boy does this plane disappear. My other planes are Radians (both versions) and some small-ish slope planes. I'm sure the thinner wing section and smaller diameter fuse are part of the visibility issue, especially when it's at a low elevation, but hopefully some better colors will help too. There were times this evening when it disappeared completely and I just had to watch the sky for it to change its angle enough to see it again.

Last night I didn't dare climb for more than about 15 seconds or it would be out of sight or radio contact. Tonight, with the less-aggressive prop and improved radio, I was flying it to the edge of vision in about 20-25 seconds. I pushed myself once to do a full 30 second climb, and I got a 5.5-minute flight out of it with calm, zero lift conditions. If I were more skilled on the sticks it would have been longer. For comparison, my no-lift flight times for my Radian were about 3 minutes and about 2.5 minutes for my Radian Pro. The Maxx covers much more ground in that amount of time than the Radian Pro, and way more than the Radian. If I ever figure out how to turn this plane efficiently (I always end up pitching up or down) I'm sure I'll get much better thermal performance than I did with those two planes. After 3 sessions I've yet to find a real thermal, though, mostly because I'm keeping it close as I dial it in and learn how to fly it.
Jun 18, 2011, 06:12 AM
Okay I have a art hobby castor 2.5 meter, a org radian, a pro radian, and I astra that the wings folded on.. So I'm thinking of another plane to pick up and this keeps coming on my list. So how does it soar ? Is it a fast ship in the air ? Or a nice slow floater ? Any advice would help.... Also who stocks these in the U.S.?
Jun 18, 2011, 08:23 AM
It's one of the most amazing electro gliders we've ever flown.The speed range is outstanding. It's sor of a large Hand Launched Glider with a motor on the nose, but we you need to move from one piece of air to another it will speed up like a "hotliner".
You can purchase the MAXX and the MAGIC at: www.hobbyclub.com

best rgds,

Alberto
Jun 18, 2011, 08:29 AM
Rocket geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazykayak75
Okay I have a art hobby castor 2.5 meter, a org radian, a pro radian, and I astra that the wings folded on.. So I'm thinking of another plane to pick up and this keeps coming on my list. So how does it soar ? Is it a fast ship in the air ? Or a nice slow floater ? Any advice would help.... Also who stocks these in the U.S.?
I have owned and flown the Radian and the Radian Pro, and this is my first higher-quality plane. It flies faster than the Radian Pro does without getting out of shape, and it's floatier than the original Radian. By that I mean its descent rate is slower than the original Radian, though horizontally it needs to go faster. I have found it a little more difficult to fly than the Radian Pro, but that's probably just from me getting used to it. With the correct differential and a little rudder mixing, I found I could fly the RP smoothly with right stick only. For the Maxx I'm learning how to coordinate my turns with rudder.

Quick Reply