Jan 21, 2012, 07:32 PM
ICU
ICU
Check out my Shapeways Shop
Yes great flying RG. Was that with the stock prop?

I was able to get a few more flights in on the B3D today. First one was a baseline to get the feel for the B3D motor. The next was with the 5043 equipped V1 motor. And I had a lot more power. And after seeing RG's video there, it just has to be a weak B3D motor. Or the adapter I'm using for my batteries. Since I've gotten 9 flights on it I'll switch out the stock plug for the one I use and try it again next week.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 21, 2012, 07:36 PM
ICU
ICU
Boba,

If you don't want to go thru the trouble of making your own wheel pants I got the solution for you. While they are not foam. They are virtually indestructible.
Jan 21, 2012, 08:19 PM
Boost rules!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICU

I was able to get a few more flights in on the B3D today. First one was a baseline to get the feel for the B3D motor. The next was with the 5043 equipped V1 motor. And I had a lot more power. And after seeing RG's video there, it just has to be a weak B3D motor. Or the adapter I'm using for my batteries. Since I've gotten 9 flights on it I'll switch out the stock plug for the one I use and try it again next week.
Which adapter are you using?

Joel
Jan 21, 2012, 10:10 PM
Gone Huckin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler
FINALLY!!!!! I got to fly my Beast 3D in almost no wind!!! I maidened it, and flew it until now, in heavy wind, so could not really see what it was capable of. Now I know. I was impressed before, but I'm blowned away now! Here's a video... The smoke in the beginning is not a lipo burning.... That's just me trying to survive in the cold!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsSPVZ-OIj8
Nice flying RG! She's a sweetheart of a plane isn't she?
Jan 21, 2012, 10:19 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICU

Stock everything, and pretty new NanoTech batteries!!! (My stock of Hyperions are likely dying, since they are not good anymore in that kind of cold). So you really have a problem. Vertical is ok, not extreme, but getting out of hover is easy. Also curious about the adapter you're using...
Jan 21, 2012, 10:27 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm
Nice flying RG! She's a sweetheart of a plane isn't she?
Totally sold on the AS3X system now! I still had to fight a small breeze, but hover are definitively much easier than on the V1. Still find that hard to believe! And still trying to figure the whole concept behind the AS3X tech. It does thing that amaze me and yet doesn't make much sense. On Android phone right now, will explain later...
Jan 21, 2012, 10:43 PM
Too much to do not enough time
thanks for the offer ICU, but I don't mind doing a bit of work by hand. Mine are heavier and rougher, but it's satisfying to do it yourself...

I'll remake these, but they actually came out nice.... (ignore the salt build-up on the bottom and the crappy paint-job, these were banged out in 20 minutes.)
Jan 22, 2012, 01:10 AM
3D... the only way to fly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICU
Boba,

If you don't want to go thru the trouble of making your own wheel pants I got the solution for you. While they are not foam. They are virtually indestructible.

What are they?

And where do you get them?
Jan 22, 2012, 04:11 AM
Tweaker
He designed them in CAD and "printed" them on a 3D printer, pretty amazing!
Jan 22, 2012, 08:30 AM
Southern Pride
Quote:
Originally Posted by snjbird
What are they?

And where do you get them?
Click on his user's name (ICU)and check out his blog.

There is a rather strong hint right under his user's name.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=148991

Charles
Jan 22, 2012, 11:20 AM
fly-crash-fix

y harness...

Hi all, i just ordered a new beast and have a question.
I have loads of batts from my t-28 so was thinking would it be possible to hardwire two female batt connectors to the wires from the beast, getting rid of the connector plus saving a bit of weight?
Sorry to bring up an old topic but i could do with a yes or no.
Thanks.
Jan 22, 2012, 11:34 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
Dr.Crashenburn,
Has been done many times already. If those T28 batteries are not at least 180mah you can expect short flight times with the B3D...
Gary
Jan 22, 2012, 11:47 AM
fly-crash-fix
Thanks Gary got mostly 160's but at least i'll be up and running ,well ,flying.
Jan 22, 2012, 11:52 AM
Boost rules!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Crashenburn
Hi all, i just ordered a new beast and have a question.
I have loads of batts from my t-28 so was thinking would it be possible to hardwire two female batt connectors to the wires from the beast, getting rid of the connector plus saving a bit of weight?
Sorry to bring up an old topic but i could do with a yes or no.
Thanks.
It depends upon which UM cells you're using. Most of them are no where near good enough for this plane. They will be severely overloaded, due to the much higher current. You may lose 50% or more in power, and you may hit LVC early into the flight, due to severe voltage sag. Or, you may overheat the cells to the point where they catch fire. Definitely a bad idea. Unless your UM cells happen to be Hyperion 160s. They will handle the current, but performance will still be way down as compared to a quality 180 mAh or higher 2s pack. BTW - RC Connectors makes a low-loss series harness for the UM cells that weighs just under 0.5g. It's only down 2% in power as compared to a 2s pack made from the same cells: http://www.rc-connectors.com/index.p...roducts_id=251

See RCBabbel for plug & play 2s packs that allow this plane to perform at its best: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=54990

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; Jan 22, 2012 at 12:03 PM.
Jan 22, 2012, 03:11 PM
fly-crash-fix
Thanks i`ll take it steady and see how she goes - better start saving for some hyp 180`s then

Quick Reply