Jan 20, 2012, 04:39 PM
Does everybody's Beast V2 have a slight delay in the throttle. Mine reminds me of my wifes throttle-by-wire van. Its a very small delay but it is noticeable in flight,, more so when its in my hand.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 20, 2012, 04:40 PM
I hate winter!
I don't like quads very much at all. But I guess they could be fun if one happened to appear for free in my hands.
Jan 20, 2012, 04:43 PM
Tweaker
They make great camera platforms!
Jan 20, 2012, 04:46 PM
Too much to do not enough time
I finally broke down, and bought the V2 beast with my birthday money. I overcame the inner prejudice in me against AS3X, and boy am I glad! Despite the cold weather and snow, the beast handled amazingly well! I was having trouble hovering it, though I think that's a relic of the cold air sapping my battery power. The KE flight is SOOOOOOOO good, personally I think the rudder control is vastly improved over the original. Perfect hammerhead on my first try. It's fast and the AS3X stability is really noticeably with the wind I have. Finally, spot-landed it within a foot of my mark, I had to shovel off my driveway and I only had a little landing zone. It flew all the way in, didn't tip-stall, and tapped down on the snowy pavement. This thing is a dream to fly!!!!

1 question to anyone that might know: because of the AS3X, can I make any mods? I wanted to make my own set of enclosing foam wheel pants, as the original profile ones have not improved any. Will the extra drag screw around with the stability?

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikankrachuhmoll
Does everybody's Beast V2 have a slight delay in the throttle. Mine reminds me of my wifes throttle-by-wire van. Its a very small delay but it is noticeable in flight,, more so when its in my hand.
Yes, I do notice it on mine. It's not major, but there is the slightest of delays especially wen pushing the throttle to the wall.
Jan 20, 2012, 04:53 PM
Tweaker
Mod away, AS3X is merely a stabilizer!
Jan 20, 2012, 05:01 PM
Too much to do not enough time
Excellent..... muhahaw! Thanks, and sorry for my giddiness. I honestly cannot remember having more fun with any RC plane. Now I just need to stay away from lakes.......
Jan 20, 2012, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm
I wonder what negative expo would to the 3D Beast?
I have a DX7 with the following expo and like it:
* Ailerons +20. This helps me with slow rolls on high rates
* Rudder. -20 This makes it respond sooner and now does rolling circles with the same amount of stick movement I'm used to on my larger 3D planes
* Elevator -40. This makes it respond faster to help with hovering. Again, I'm used to 3D planes with very effective elevators.

This basically allows me to fly the B3D the same as everything else. Is it needed? Absolutely not. Its just fine with no programming. This is just a preference.

Alan
Jan 20, 2012, 08:37 PM
Gone Huckin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasFlyer
I have a DX7 with the following expo and like it:
* Ailerons +20. This helps me with slow rolls on high rates
* Rudder. -20 This makes it respond sooner and now does rolling circles with the same amount of stick movement I'm used to on my larger 3D planes
* Elevator -40. This makes it respond faster to help with hovering. Again, I'm used to 3D planes with very effective elevators.

This basically allows me to fly the B3D the same as everything else. Is it needed? Absolutely not. Its just fine with no programming. This is just a preference.

Alan
Thanks. When I get my replacement Beast I'll definitely try the negative expo on the elevator.
Jan 21, 2012, 10:06 AM
3D... the only way to fly!
Hey guys, just opened my order from All E RC, and thought I might shoot a couple of comparison photos

I had not had the chance to add Velcro to the Hyperions yet, so they will be a mil higher in the plane... the 240 looks like it will be tight
Jan 21, 2012, 12:46 PM
Gravity is a cruel mistress...
Quote:
Originally Posted by snjbird
Hey guys, just opened my order from All E RC, and thought I might shoot a couple of comparison photos....

...I had not had the chance to add Velcro to the Hyperions yet, so they will be a mil higher in the plane... the 240 looks like it will be tight
Hey bud, I ran into the same issue with the same packs. For me, it was just a matter of cutting off the thick foam battery hatch tab and replacing it with a thin piece of scrap CF. It makes just the right amount of clearance to slide in there with these bigger packs.

Here's mine.

PS What are you doing on a plank forum?!
Jan 21, 2012, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blucross
Hey bud, I ran into the same issue with the same packs. For me, it was just a matter of cutting off the thick foam battery hatch tab and replacing it with a thin piece of scrap CF. It makes just the right amount of clearance to slide in there with these bigger packs.
And, really, you don't even need the CF tab. The magnets hold it down just fine. I've been flying like this from the first days of the v1.
Jan 21, 2012, 02:59 PM
Way to many airplanes!
FINALLY!!!!! I got to fly my Beast 3D in almost no wind!!! I maidened it, and flew it until now, in heavy wind, so could not really see what it was capable of. Now I know. I was impressed before, but I'm blowned away now! Here's a video... The smoke in the beginning is not a lipo burning.... That's just me trying to survive in the cold!

E-Flite UMX Beast 3D (3 min 29 sec)
Last edited by RealGambler; Jan 21, 2012 at 03:27 PM.
Jan 21, 2012, 03:08 PM
3D... the only way to fly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blucross

Here's mine.

PS What are you doing on a plank forum?!
I hope it calms down here this evening, and I'll get to try them out! Yea I know what is snjbird doing flying a fixed wing? Well these UMX have me hooked, I'm thinking of building a 25% BLS conversion SBACH
Jan 21, 2012, 03:24 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler
FINALLY!!!!!.....Here's a video.....
Very cool!

- Nice hovers!

- I thought you might be getting a bit close to the trees.

- And, was that a KE touch-and-go at 1:49???!!!

But, no worries!

And I'll never again complain about a little cold or a rough landing strip!

Jan 21, 2012, 04:21 PM
Boost rules!
RG,

Great flying! And as Dave noted - nice hovers!

Haven't flown the Beast outdoors for awhile now, and I had a gig last Sat night, so I missed our last indoor session. Looking forward to flying indoors tonight. I'll be bringing my indoor-tuned B3D, brushless mCP X, and of course the mQX! I'm betting that the air will literally be buzzing with little quads tonight! I hope it's not too crowded to fly the Beast. I do enjoy flying my rotarcraft, but they do not fully satisfy my RC addiction, as I am still a fixed-wing pilot at heart. And right now, I really, really, really, REALLY need a fixed-wing fix!!

Joel

Quick Reply