HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
lol
to remove ads between posts
Aug 25, 2011, 01:08 AM
Can't get enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL
ep,

I used a slightly longer prop screw to be safe.
Old sub-micro servo mounting screw works excellent.

My Beast/5043 prop mod here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=327

rc
Where did you get that lucky screw lol... I would like a couple.. I ended up putting the 5043 on the sbach with stock screw and adapter, and seemed to fit fine. Probably didn't screw in all the way I imagine, but haven't had problems yet and it seems tight!

J
Aug 25, 2011, 05:56 AM
MJF
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
Quote:
Originally Posted by telos81
The rudder often gets jammed after a crash, if the control horn slips free of the bent wire it's attached too ... That's not servo lock, it's just from the force of the crash. If it "popped" back into center, that's probably what you saw as rudder lock (unless, of course, you are positive rudder lock caused the crash)
I positive......
Aug 25, 2011, 07:40 AM
billyjim

Would the Beast's BL swing a 6" prop?

I build and fly only "floaters." With that in mind I've been thinking of a scratchbuilt styrofoam bipe, maybe about 25" wingspan, 45 or so grams AUW. I'm wondering if a 6" prop would be too much for the BL. (I plan to keep the amp flow within the FET spec of 2 amps -- by placing a bar across the throttle gimbel about the 50% position - to keep if from moving higher.) Whatcha' think?

Bill
Aug 25, 2011, 07:48 AM
I hate winter!
Ugh so after rebuilding my Beast after the elevator issue I had the left aileron isn't giving as much up throw as my right aileron. They both give the correct amount of down throw, but up throw is off by a mm or two.

Just a refresher if you missed my crash post a few pages back - the right section of the elevator got creased and bent up in flight and caused the beast to loop and climb and I had to bring her down hard before she went in to some houses. I ripped the left wing off, the right servo was ripped off, the prop was broken, and the front of the fuse was slightly dented with a 1 inch hairline crack that didn't go too far through the foam - just on the surface really.

I've checked the throws on the servos and it seems the left servo is not completely making it to the end of the servo for whatever reason. It doesn't seem that there is any binding. The ailerons can travel freely and not get stuck on the wing, the servo seems smooth and straight. The CF rod joining the ailerons seems okay. I really can't figure it out. It looks like the top aileron throws a bit less than the bottom as well, and the top left aileron throws at least 1mm to 2mm less than the right top aileron.

I flew her today and it wasn't completely calm so it was being bounced around a tad (maybe 5km/h winds.) Obviously the wings took some serious damage so I know with the glue and rebuilding her, the CG isn't completely right. But she did fly pretty nicely after trimming her out - still, not as smooth like pre-crash though but I still have to try in calm conditions.

Anyways, anyone have any idea how to remedy the top aileron throws? At rest they both are the same level, it's just when turning. When the flaps go up, the top ailerons are at different heights. I didn't feel this affected me when flying low and slow but then again, I didn't let go of the stick too much because it wasn't completely calm.
Aug 25, 2011, 07:52 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock
Ugh so after rebuilding my Beast after the elevator issue I had the left aileron isn't giving as much up throw as my right aileron. They both give the correct amount of down throw, but up throw is off by a mm or two.

Just a refresher if you missed my crash post a few pages back - the right section of the elevator got creased and bent up in flight and caused the beast to loop and climb and I had to bring her down hard before she went in to some houses. I ripped the left wing off, the right servo was ripped off, the prop was broken, and the front of the fuse was slightly dented with a 1 inch hairline crack that didn't go too far through the foam - just on the surface really.

I've checked the throws on the servos and it seems the left servo is not completely making it to the end of the servo for whatever reason. It doesn't seem that there is any binding. The ailerons can travel freely and not get stuck on the wing, the servo seems smooth and straight. The CF rod joining the ailerons seems okay. I really can't figure it out. It looks like the top aileron throws a bit less than the bottom as well, and the top left aileron throws at least 1mm to 2mm less than the right top aileron.

I flew her today and it wasn't completely calm so it was being bounced around a tad (maybe 5km/h winds.) Obviously the wings took some serious damage so I know with the glue and rebuilding her, the CG isn't completely right. But she did fly pretty nicely after trimming her out - still, not as smooth like pre-crash though but I still have to try in calm conditions.

Anyways, anyone have any idea how to remedy the top aileron throws? At rest they both are the same level, it's just when turning. When the flaps go up, the top ailerons are at different heights. I didn't feel this affected me when flying low and slow but then again, I didn't let go of the stick too much because it wasn't completely calm.
What Tx are you using? Perhaps check/set the endpoints there.
Aug 25, 2011, 08:00 AM
I hate winter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner2000
What Tx are you using? Perhaps check/set the endpoints there.
Thank you for your reply sir. I am using the DX6i. I looked around there but didn't find anything concerning end points. I did find throws and the such, but I could of overlooked something.

EDIT - Okay just checked the manual and the end point adjustments are the travel adjustments. I did play around with those and found that my aileron adjustment moves one side, and the flaps adjustment moves the other. Should I be adjusting the side that is not moving as far to over 100% or should I adjust the side that is moving too far under 100%?

Thanks for the advice.
Last edited by binaryclock; Aug 25, 2011 at 08:06 AM.
Aug 25, 2011, 08:11 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Thank you for your reply sir. I am using the DX6i. I looked around there but didn't find anything concerning end points. I did find throws and the such, but I could of overlooked something.

EDIT - Okay just checked the manual and the end point adjustments are the travel adjustments. I did play around with those and found that my aileron adjustment moves one side, and the flaps adjustment moves the other. Should I be adjusting the side that is not moving as far to over 100% or should I adjust the side that is moving too far under 100%?

Thanks for the advice.
As long as you don't push the servo beyond 100% it should be fine either way. You just don't want to push these micro servos beyond 100% as can burn them out when they bind at the end.
Aug 25, 2011, 08:50 AM
34 years of flight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud
Aha! The GWS 8X4 has a much thicker hub, different ID, etc. (I know 'coz I have some for my larger craft) Therein lies the culprit.

Bud, detective Bud
Oh alright then. Kinda thought that. might have to order some next pay day
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL
ep,

I used a slightly longer prop screw to be safe.
Old sub-micro servo mounting screw works excellent.

My Beast/5043 prop mod here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=327

rc
I was trying to find a longer screw but didn't find one with the same threads don't want to mess up he adapter. i will get a 2nd when i order other things.
man i run into you always int he micro threads
Aug 25, 2011, 09:57 AM
I fly em', there for I am.
Quote:

Thanks for the advice.
I would also check to see if maybe the aileron that isn't going up as much may have got the aileron connecting rod (One that goes from the top aileron to the botton aileron) may have got shoved up too far into the holder on the upper aileron... Just a thought seeing it was damaged, could happen..
Aug 25, 2011, 10:19 AM
ICU
ICU
Check out my Shapeways Shop
Quote:
What material are they made out of?
The material these are made out of is close to Nylon12. While it's not exactly Nylon12 it has all the same basic properties. I weighed them last night (I'll get some pics and testing notes up tonight) and they only weigh 0.1g more than the OEM prop mount and feel indestructible. But only time, and testing will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBOTI74
No worries, just thought I would offer. Besides, I like the fact you're trying to help someone who's down/grounded. Hope the testing goes good.

SBOTI
Thanks.

I installed one each on my Beast and Sbach last night. All seemed to go well, so far, and I felt zero vibrations when running the motor up with and without a prop.
Aug 25, 2011, 10:23 AM
I fly em', there for I am.
Great info and update! Crossing my fingers, I haven't broke any prop adapters yet but, I'm getting lower and lower..

So, this prop adapter, does it work on all three UMXs? The Beast, Sbach and Stryker? If so, what a great seller you will have! I know I would like to just have one as a spare so if any broke, I wouldn't be grounded..
Aug 25, 2011, 10:30 AM
Here are some pics of the servo covers I made using both ends of the packaging plastic from Trim nail product. It is the smallest type I could find and is raised in middle that clears the pushrods nicely. Only cost .99 at Walmart (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Trim-Nail-...-1-ct/10414565) and can make 2 from each package. Less than 4.99 for UM Stryker servo covers. Am using on Sbach, Beast and Corsair and dont seem to effect flight of airplanes at all. Just taped on so they can be removed for servo cleaning if I need to . Keeps little grass and rocks away from servo gears.

Nick
Aug 25, 2011, 11:08 AM
Gone Huckin'
Looks like Hurricane Irene is going to put a serious hamper on my flying this weekend! Winds are going to be very strong on Saturday and Sunday. Guess I better get it all out of my system tonight!!

On a more serious note - I pray that those along the coastal regions of North and South Carolina are spared from devestation. We've been here before and we'll be here at some point again - a small price to pay for being fortunate enough to live in such a beautiful area of the world.
Aug 25, 2011, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm
Looks like Hurricane Irene is going to put a serious hamper on my flying this weekend! Winds are going to be very strong on Saturday and Sunday. Guess I better get it all out of my system tonight!!

On a more serious note - I pray that those along the coastal regions of North and South Carolina are spared from devestation. We've been here before and we'll be here at some point again - a small price to pay for being fortunate enough to live in such a beautiful area of the world.
we were in the Outer Banks just last week! (Duck) it was amazing! we want to make it an annual vacation now.

and i'm not sure i'll be able to fly all week very high winds and T-Storms today from the west, looks like it will be windy fri and sat too!

Quick Reply