strong wind going on right now
to remove ads between posts
Aug 14, 2011, 05:12 PM
MJF
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceL
WOW 7544 posts on this bird, way to go all!
I get my Beast delivered tomorrow and cant wait to try her out! Going to the club meeting the other evning, I saw at least 3 there and I know there were more that did not make it.
Boy I am looking forward to trying out this little bird.

Happy landings to all and enjoy!

Bruce
you'll love the beast....I sure has heck did.....
Have not flown my nitro planes since....
But I guess I need to....
Aug 14, 2011, 05:15 PM
Gone Huckin'
I can't remember who was asking about the KE Loops but here's some video that I shot today (RG style - uncut and unfiltered!) that shows some decent KE Loops (around 22 second mark and again at the 2:50 mark) and then there's normal KE flight all over the place.

There's also some wobbly (and pretty bad) harrier flight around the 5:15 mark.

I tried to keep the flying a bit closer in this time so hopefully you can see it better.

UMX Beast with KE Loops, KE and Harrier (6 min 21 sec)
Aug 14, 2011, 06:06 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm
I can't remember who was asking about the KE Loops but here's some video that I shot today (RG style - uncut and unfiltered!) that shows some decent KE Loops (around 22 second mark and again at the 2:50 mark) and then there's normal KE flight all over the place.

I tried to keep the flying a bit closer in this time so hopefully you can see it better.
Love the first KE loop. Large and smooth! Also love the fact that I didn't bring much to the community, but at least, I have a "style" named after me now!
Aug 14, 2011, 06:50 PM
Can't get enough
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpbCqwbiSD4
Like the vid, but I am really having a hard time seeing what you are doing. I used highest settings to view, but the plane is just to small in the vid. Not cutting your efforts down or anything, just an observation. Can you zoom in a bit more when doing the video? Thanks for the vid!

J
Aug 14, 2011, 06:52 PM
MJF
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
wind still bad here for UM's
Aug 14, 2011, 07:02 PM
I make metal smaller.
45mph gusts here...
Aug 14, 2011, 07:15 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsten
Like the vid, but I am really having a hard time seeing what you are doing. I used highest settings to view, but the plane is just to small in the vid. Not cutting your efforts down or anything, just an observation. Can you zoom in a bit more when doing the video? Thanks for the vid!

J
I believe he is using a GOPRO camera, which record in ultra wide angle (almost 180 degre wide!) to catch as much of the action as you can, but then, it does that to an airplane video. I think if he switch to full HD (1080P), the wide angle is reduced to something closer to normal eye angle (about 120 degree), but video will be huge.... (large and slow download to youtube). On the other side, the airplane may be out of frame more often...
Aug 14, 2011, 07:37 PM
Inciting Riots
There is no meaningful setting that can be made on a GoPro HD to keep the action of this little plane visible. The only that could be done is to change the lens to a more narrow angle.
Aug 14, 2011, 07:44 PM
Gone Huckin'
Quote:

J
No sweat man. I appreciate the feedback. RG pretty much said it. On this camera it's tough to do much better than what I did. I could only improve by doing hi def but the file sizes get pretty insane then.

I can see the action pretty well but that's probably because I know what happens!

But when I point out the specifics can you still not see it? Like the KE loops and the harriers??

Again, I do appreciate the feedback. I'll try a few other video formats to see how they turn out.
Aug 14, 2011, 07:56 PM
Can't get enough
Quote:
No sweat man. I appreciate the feedback. RG pretty much said it. On this camera it's tough to do much better than what I did. I could only improve by doing hi def but the file sizes get pretty insane then.

I can see the action pretty well but that's probably because I know what happens!

But when I point out the specifics can you still not see it? Like the KE loops and the harriers??

Again, I do appreciate the feedback. I'll try a few other video formats to see how they turn out.
I understand, the plane is small to begin with. I like the looks of the wide angel though. Yes I did try at the points of reference you made, but still for me a little hard to make out. Thanks for always sharing...much appreciated!

J
Aug 14, 2011, 08:09 PM
Gone Huckin'
Quote:
I understand, the plane is small to begin with. I like the looks of the wide angel though. Yes I did try at the points of reference you made, but still for me a little hard to make out. Thanks for always sharing...much appreciated!

J
Yeah. It's knda funny. In some ways the little cheapo keychain cams are better than the GoPro cams. But it's no big deal, I can still use the GoPro for mountain biking and my annual ski trips out west. It's perfect for that!
Aug 14, 2011, 10:17 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Quote:
Yeah. It's knda funny. In some ways the little cheapo keychain cams are better than the GoPro cams.
I would not say that too fast! (And I'm a big keychain cam user myself!). The angle of view is like 45 degree, so if you're an hair off when you wear it, you get a full movie of nothing (with sound though, want to see my collection?). And the framerate is always terrible on those!. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to do something nice in 1080P.
Aug 14, 2011, 11:00 PM
Park Stormer
::Sigh:: HH want's me to send back the Beast on my dime. Frustrating, as shipping would quickly equal the $20 cost of a replacement servo. So much for customer service.

Also, lending credit to me theory that we have a particularly bad batch o' servos, would anyone care to guess what the ONLY part currently on back-order on the beast replacement page is....?

Hint: It's not the wheel pants....

That said, found a reputable Ebay dealer who sells off UM parts from damaged models, looks like he buys up models that were shipped defective and does part-outs of the working stuff. A smart operation. figure I'll do my part and recycle.

What scares me now, is the gremlin's gone back into hiding. I went in after I ordered the servo to make sure it was a servo, and not the brick by switching the servo ports. Now everything seems fine. To protect myself next time, I'm going to go with an extreme crow mix for flaps, which would thrown both servos up at maximum travel. That way I can at least stop the role if the servo locks again.
Aug 14, 2011, 11:20 PM
I hate winter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggressorBLUE
Now everything seems fine. To protect myself next time, I'm going to go with an extreme crow mix for flaps, which would thrown both servos up at maximum travel. That way I can at least stop the role if the servo locks again.
Good idea!

Quick Reply