Nov 26, 2017, 05:30 PM
**I'm Battman**
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly5150
So, what is the going rate on a mint condition Beast3D? I bought one recently thinking that it was time to replace my very worn and over-repaired one. As it turns out, mine beaten beast still flies as good as new and this new one makes me nervous (its too nice). I feel like it may end up sitting in its box until I finally kill the previous one.

Were they about $140 back when they were still produced? Would a perfect one get $100 now? Not sure I want to sell it either way but I may consider it.
fly,

They were $139.99 back in the day.
I was able to get a few NIB for $125.00
I mostly buy used B3Ds that are in excellent condition.
This year I stole one on Ebay for $56.00 to my door.
My others have cost me from $80-$120 to my door.
NIB are getting harder and harder to find.

Roger
to remove ads between posts
Nov 26, 2017, 05:40 PM
Boost rules!
A pristine B3D SHOULD be collectible! It's still one of the very best planes HH has ever produced in any scale.

Joel
Nov 27, 2017, 12:32 AM
To UMX or not to UMX, that's..
I think i even like the original Beast a bit more than the AS3X version.
I know you fly your V2's on 3S, but i fly 'em strictly on 2S
Nov 27, 2017, 10:40 AM
**I'm Battman**
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondeBaron
I think i even like the original Beast a bit more than the AS3X version.
I know you fly your V2's on 3S, but i fly 'em strictly on 2S
BB,

Why do you prefer the V1 vs the 3D?

I have tons of flights on both.
This is why I prefer AS3X...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=I2XgFgo86xg

Roger
Nov 28, 2017, 02:15 PM
Probably because i fly em in calm conditions where AS3X only makes the plane jittery, and the V1 is a smooth flyer.
Maybe there's something wrong with the B3D that it jitters, but i'm not so technical that i'm able to pinpoint the source.
Nov 28, 2017, 04:07 PM
Boost rules!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondeBaron
...Maybe there's something wrong with the B3D that it jitters, but i'm not so technical that i'm able to pinpoint the source.
Have you checked the prop balance? Doesn't take much airframe vibration to cause AS3X to get the jitters under power - and the UMX props often need dynamic balancing.

Joel
Nov 29, 2017, 07:12 AM
Erm, i don't notice an unusual amount of vibration.
How can i determine whether prop balancing is the cause, and how is dynamic balancing done on the prop?
Nov 29, 2017, 01:44 PM
BB

secure the plane on the bench and slowly run the throttle all the way up to WOT, and watch the ailerons (ails will be most prone to oscillations because the imbalance of the prop will be rotational)

If you have a balance problem
, at some point in the throttle range the ailerons will start wagging, and they'll wag faster or slower or even stop completely, but you will definitely have some movement in the ailerons as you run the throttle up.

Keep your fingers away from the prop but near the nose of the plane. You will feel it vibrate slightly. Add a small piece of tape to the back side of one of the prop blades, and do the same test. Watch for the ailerons getting better, or worse, and feel for vibrations getting better or worse. If it gets worse, move the tape to the other blade. If it's getting better, add more tape.

Eventually you'll find the sweet spot where the plane feels smooth in your fingers when you run the throttle up and the ailerons will stop wagging.
Nov 29, 2017, 04:20 PM
Bugle6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128
BB

secure the plane on the bench and slowly run the throttle all the way up to WOT, and watch the ailerons (ails will be most prone to oscillations because the imbalance of the prop will be rotational)

If you have a balance problem
, at some point in the throttle range the ailerons will start wagging, and they'll wag faster or slower or even stop completely, but you will definitely have some movement in the ailerons as you run the throttle up.

Keep your fingers away from the prop but near the nose of the plane. You will feel it vibrate slightly. Add a small piece of tape to the back side of one of the prop blades, and do the same test. Watch for the ailerons getting better, or worse, and feel for vibrations getting better or worse. If it gets worse, move the tape to the other blade. If it's getting better, add more tape.

Eventually you'll find the sweet spot where the plane feels smooth in your fingers when you run the throttle up and the ailerons will stop wagging.
Thanks for reminding about this. Beast #2 is on the fritz and I need to check the prop.
Nov 30, 2017, 01:55 AM
Thanks Ben! Will check and will report back here.
Dec 29, 2017, 01:12 AM
**I'm Battman**
You just never know what the wind will bring...

Lil bro was cleaning out his storage unit and dropped off a couple planes for me.
Told me to name my price if I wanted them.
Both planes are in near mint condition.
OK...I'll take em!!

Roger
Dec 30, 2017, 07:13 AM
Bugle6
I love both those planes.
Dec 30, 2017, 12:56 PM
Me, too!

But Roger, what are you gonna do with yet ANOTHER Lil Beastie? ...open your own Beast Dealership?

Tom
Dec 30, 2017, 02:11 PM
**I'm Battman**
Both such great UMX planes designed by Quique!
We are very fortunate that he designed them before he left HH.

Tom,
'Beast Dealership'??
I wouldn't want to work at a place that never sells anything.

My plan was to rotate in a new Beast each year.
Been fying B3D#5 all year and I'm not ready to shelf it.
It flies fantastic!

Glen,
I know you are very active on the Viking 280 thread.
You know what a Beast freak I am.
Please tell me what you love about your Viking and why I should start flying mine.

Happy New Year fellow addicts!

Roger
Dec 31, 2017, 11:26 PM
Bugle6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL
Glen,
I know you are very active on the Viking 280 thread.
You know what a Beast freak I am.
Please tell me what you love about your Viking and why I should start flying mine.
Roger
Roger, I do most my flying on the football field about 600 yards up the block. I have 6 180 planes... make that 6 and 4 Beasts in parts. However, the 280s are perfect for flying on that size field. I just like the feel of the Inverza and the Viking. Just built a Edge 540QQ and I now can compare all 3. A "good" Viking gives me the feeling of flying the large planes. The Inverza has a lot of zip that the Viking does not; faster and quicker to turn. The Edge has a little less speed than the Inverza and less quick turning which facilities good Immelmanns and other non-3D aerobatics. But the real reason I fly the Viking? I just love the Pitts airplanes. I also have the E-flite Pitts Model 12 480, but I have to take it to a flying field to put it up and it hasn't happened, yet! (My wife is the pilot which is my pic under Saxguy1000.)

Quick Reply