Thread Tools
Feb 01, 2013, 08:44 PM
MJF
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
MJF's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon
Spoken like one who hasn't flown the new B3D to see how much it really does help the plane...

-Brian
Hit da Nail On Da HeAd u DiD SiR
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Feb 01, 2013, 08:51 PM
MJF
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
MJF's Avatar
Been thinking of getting the ass system either the beast or sbach....but......I already have both in V1....so idk.....
Feb 01, 2013, 09:17 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF
Been thinking of getting the ass system either the beast or sbach....but......I already have both in V1....so idk.....
So you have an opportunity to buy a new plane! If you have to pick one, I think most fall for the Beast, though the Sbach is very precise. The Beast is just plane fun and has very nice low-speed manners.
Feb 01, 2013, 09:33 PM
Suspenders Account
bhoov128's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF
Been thinking of getting the ass system either the beast or sbach....but......I already have both in V1....so idk.....
Is this ass system sold by the p90x people? Or is it autocorrect that's making me chuckle?
Feb 02, 2013, 07:40 AM
MJF
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
MJF's Avatar
Guy that works at LHS started to call the as3x the ass system when it first came out is all.....So now we all call it the ass system as well.
Feb 02, 2013, 07:51 AM
I'd rather be flying!
turboparker's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskee
Joel were you using stock prop? You may have mentioned in video, but my internet feed was spotty.
Huskee,

I used a 5030 on the 2500Kv motor in the Beast 3D & a 5043 on the 2300Kv motor in the V1 Beast. Packs were Hyp 240 Babbelbatts. I now run the 2300/5043 combo in the Beast 3D. You get a significant bump in thrust & top-speed, along with longer flights. On 3s, the plane handles 25-30 MPH winds with ease.

Joel
Feb 02, 2013, 08:08 AM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
ChinoDiablo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF
Guy that works at LHS started to call the as3x the ass system when it first came out is all.....So now we all call it the ass system as well.
Really?
What does he call the BNF system?
Last edited by ChinoDiablo; Feb 02, 2013 at 08:22 AM.
Feb 02, 2013, 11:53 AM
Registered User
Ad_Astra's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq
Why y'all do without one of the most important tools in the trade is beyond me. Just get a friggin' prop balancer already!
Hi, Dan DeNoob here... I found this thread while looking through the 500+ hits while searching for "how to balance a prop". This forum needs a better search engine.

Could somebody give me one or more URLs to the various methods for balancing props? I'd like to start cheap and work my way up the expense ladder as the budget allows.

Thanks
Dan
Feb 02, 2013, 12:29 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad_Astra
Hi, Dan DeNoob here... I found this thread while looking through the 500+ hits while searching for "how to balance a prop". This forum needs a better search engine.

Could somebody give me one or more URLs to the various methods for balancing props? I'd like to start cheap and work my way up the expense ladder as the budget allows.

Thanks
Dan
I use this. Inly $20: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHY61
Feb 02, 2013, 02:46 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad_Astra
Hi, Dan DeNoob here... I found this thread while looking through the 500+ hits while searching for "how to balance a prop". This forum needs a better search engine.

Could somebody give me one or more URLs to the various methods for balancing props? I'd like to start cheap and work my way up the expense ladder as the budget allows.

Thanks
Dan
Dan , I use one of these that I got at my LHS . After mounting the prop to it , I set it on the rims of two drinking glasses for the least amount of friction . Then add a little scotch tape or CA to the high blade until the blades are level .

http://rcflyer.com.au/shop/catalog/p...c634e5bdd8f162

Also , for doing a search I use Google , and then look at the results for RC Groups .

Al
Feb 02, 2013, 02:54 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
Dan , I use one of these that I got at my LHS . After mounting the prop to it , I set it on the rims of two drinking glasses for the least amount of friction . ...
Just make sure the drinking glasses are level. A balancer like this likes to roll down the slightest incline and throw your results off.
Feb 02, 2013, 06:00 PM
Registered User
ForsheeMS's Avatar
Dan, the magnetic balancer erkq posted the link to is the best balancer you can buy for these smaller props. I have it for the small props and a Dubro balancer for the larger props. The magnetic balancer has nearly zero friction but before you begin you have to make sure the balancer shaft and the 2 cones that hold the prop are balanced. Once you have that done you can perfectly balance these props.

To balance the prop, I use clear spray paint on the light blade. Hold the can way back from the prop and hit it with a light fog. It doesn't take much so go easy at first until you get a feel for it. Once the blades are equal you may notice that there is a heavy side on the hub itself. For this I use CA followed by a little kicker to set it on the light side of the hub. Once the prop is completely balanced you should be able to set the prop in any position on the balancer and when you let go of it it should not turn.

These props are cheap so get a balancer and a handful of props and go at it. It takes a little trial and error to get it right but it's not hard at all.
Feb 02, 2013, 09:04 PM
Suspenders Account
bhoov128's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo
Really?
What does he call the BNF system?
Bahahaha you completely just guttered my mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
Dan , I use one of these that I got at my LHS . After mounting the prop to it , I set it on the rims of two drinking glasses for the least amount of friction . Then add a little scotch tape or CA to the high blade until the blades are level .

http://rcflyer.com.au/shop/catalog/p...c634e5bdd8f162

Also , for doing a search I use Google , and then look at the results for RC Groups .

Al
For clarification here use the following syntax: balancing a prop site:rcgroups.com
Feb 03, 2013, 02:26 PM
Registered User

Motor quits on 3S


I have about 40 flights on my Beast 3D using 3S. All has been fine until today. When I plug in the battery, it loads up with the usual beeps and the control/motor all work normal. Full throttle while holding the plane is OK.

However, when flying, after it lifts off, about 15 yrd out, the motor quits and control surfaces work like it hit LVC. I did several range tests and the motor drops out intermittenly. I checked the batts, they are fully charged. I also flew my Sback UM on the same batteries and radio, all was OK.

Is this a failure mode for the brick from using 3S????
Feb 03, 2013, 03:16 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ460
I have about 40 flights on my Beast 3D using 3S. All has been fine until today. When I plug in the battery, it loads up with the usual beeps and the control/motor all work normal. Full throttle while holding the plane is OK.

However, when flying, after it lifts off, about 15 yrd out, the motor quits and control surfaces work like it hit LVC. I did several range tests and the motor drops out intermittenly. I checked the batts, they are fully charged. I also flew my Sback UM on the same batteries and radio, all was OK.

Is this a failure mode for the brick from using 3S????
Yes. Have you put a heat sink on the FET's yet? Or, opened up cooling holes? It the weather warmer today than before?


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion ParkZone Ultra Micro T-28!!! THE Owners Thread!!!! RM_Sparks Micro Ready-to-Fly 10863 Jun 23, 2017 03:15 PM
Official Parkzone P-51 Owners Thread - Part 2 monitor Parkflyers 2602 Jun 15, 2014 04:51 PM
Discussion UM beast, Now your talking qman Micro Ready-to-Fly 102 Dec 22, 2010 10:39 AM
Discussion The first OFFICIAL Parkzone Sukhoi SU-26XP BNF by ParkZone Owners thread skyjet Micro Ready-to-Fly 2 Mar 19, 2010 03:00 PM
Official Parkzone P-51 Owners Thread monitor Parkflyers 913 Oct 04, 2005 09:02 PM