Jun 28, 2003, 03:32 PM
BANNED!!!

How many packs do you take to the field?

Ok, this question isn't as easy as it seems. I am curious as to how others handle power at the field. I am finding that charging all my packs at home, as many as I can carry is the way to go.

I thought about buying a HUGE battery and recharging at the field but in all honesty 12 packs equals about 3 hours of flying for me, and that's about all I can handle...

So rather than buying a huge charging cell I am going to buy a smaller cell that's good enough for top offs.

Gary wright and his 70 packs comes to mind...

j
to remove ads between posts
Jun 28, 2003, 03:59 PM
Well my club provides 3*80Ah leisure batteries at the field for charging. Not bad for a 'glow' club! Only downside: this year I'm the sucker who has to take them home and charge them

Stuart
Jun 28, 2003, 04:33 PM
LiPolys are making this question moot:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...hreadid=128813

- RD
Jun 28, 2003, 04:39 PM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Hi

I have one pack for every plane, dual output charger = almost flying all the time.

yeah, almost forgot... then after a day of flying I push my Volvo home...

/Henke
Jun 28, 2003, 05:01 PM
I have five pack of 1020's 3sX2p but still care a small charger
I use a LDO to charge for 13 volts car battery or to 12.4 li
with a ldo Poke around with ldo's cheap. or ask for samples.

http://www.national.com/catalog/AnalogRegulators.html
Jun 28, 2003, 05:18 PM
Been There! Done That!
Here is a pic of my battery shelf. It contains 37 good battery packs! I take what I need for a day of flying and also throw in the field charger which I have yet to use in the field!
boomer
Jun 28, 2003, 05:34 PM
BANNED!!!
boomerace,

Your setup is what I am leaning towards... I think I zapped my charger at the field today, and thank goodness I had all my cells fully charged. The only draw back is that the NIMH perform better HOT off the charger....
Jun 28, 2003, 06:35 PM
characters welcome!
Three packs per plane.

mw
Jun 28, 2003, 07:56 PM
Canadian E-Tailer

I still use Qualcomms

I carry 6 packs to the field. I typically get 20-25 minutes per pack.

With the mini wings I fly, that's over 2 solid hours of flying...more than I need in my books. If I bring my auto charger to the field, I can charge another 2 packs while I'm there to get another 40 minutes of flight.

Gotta love them Qualcomms or other lithium batteries.

Henry
--
Canadian E-Tailer
www.zebrahobby.ca
Jun 28, 2003, 08:42 PM
Boomer, you need more GWS props! hehe
I don't fly all day. If flying solo, I only fly for one hour which equates to about 3 planes for which I take 3 packs with me. The first pack is usually spent re-trimming and the next two packs are for fun. I alternate planes which gives the motors a chance to cool down.
Jun 28, 2003, 08:54 PM
BANNED!!!
So not many people are buying gel cells and charging packs at the field?
Jun 28, 2003, 09:06 PM
Gel cells? I pull up to the field and pop the hood on my truck to use the BIG batteries to charge the little ones.

Depending on the plane, I have 1 or 2 packs per plane.

If I didn't spend so much time socializing I would have to fly more = more packs.

Keep 'em hummin'

Ray
Jun 28, 2003, 09:39 PM
For my sailplane I will sometimes just throw some packs in my pocket and go to the field, but for everything else I bring my field battery with me. Not so much for charging as much as for peaking right before flying. I notice a definite difference in a freshly peaked pack versus one that was peaked as recently as an hour before.

Mitch
Jun 28, 2003, 10:11 PM
Been There! Done That!
Quote:
Originally posted by flipnidaho
Boomer, you need more GWS props! hehe
I don't fly all day. If flying solo, I only fly for one hour which equates to about 3 planes for which I take 3 packs with me. The first pack is usually spent re-trimming and the next two packs are for fun. I alternate planes which gives the motors a chance to cool down.
A prop for all seasons or all occasions! Yea and below those are a bunch of E props!
boomer
Jun 28, 2003, 10:20 PM
Tree? That's a Tx weed!
Usually 2 small instrument cases full - 10&12 cell packs in one and smaller stuff in the other. They get a little crowded.
Also, bring a big old heavy lead-acid to peak NiMh and recahrge ones I use (and give others a jump start <VBG>).
But lipo is changing this - my son was up for 26 minutes on his trainer before calling it quits (was HOT out). Recharge showed he had 17 minutes more in that pack (I have 2 Thunder Power 2S4P 7.8Ah packs).
A REAL good thing about lipo is that you can charge today and it will still have full charge 2 weeks from now. No self-discharge like NiCD or NiMH.
Expect to retire the big old lead-acid battery when I retire the last Nicd/NiMH - which may not be that far off.
Crash