Aug 17, 2010, 12:38 PM
Cranky old fart
I had the 4#3B and while I learned to fly it fairly well, I never enjoyed it. It has traits you won't find anywhere else, so at least half your efforts will be spent dealing with things you are not likely to ever encounter again, like incredible sensitivity to air currents. In any case, I got tired of changing motors every week and got rid of it.

The sad part is you are only as good as what you have been flying recently.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 17, 2010, 12:38 PM
Also, I remember you from mSR thread.

Why did you get mSR if you enjoy the 4#3?
Aug 17, 2010, 12:50 PM
Me? I don't own an mSR ...
my interest in the mSR is because I was working on a 90`b/h [the 45` fell right into the design] head and came up with a very similar linkage arrangement [before the mSR was released]. I like to say they stole my idea, but it's probably more of a parallel evolution thing.
Aug 17, 2010, 01:22 PM

You're like a regular in the mSR thread.

Well anyway, how about a 4#3 vid? Please
Aug 17, 2010, 03:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14
The 4#3A is considerably easier to fly (relatively speaking) and many people have upgraded their 4#3 with A parts.
Ah, there's an idea I will pursue when I need new parts (most likely sooner than I think )
I've got a CNC head - that made a difference, I remember.

Thanks!
Aug 17, 2010, 03:17 PM
RC Helis: My Healthy Obsession
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812

You're like a regular in the mSR thread.

Well anyway, how about a 4#3 vid? Please
Here is one of my old 4#3b vids. It does fly very well and aggressive with the right set-up IMO. I still also fly an all stock (plastic & brushed) 4#3 and that heli still stable and agile when I give it stick.

4#3b 2605A (3 min 22 sec)
Last edited by dkfuji; Aug 17, 2010 at 03:34 PM.
Aug 17, 2010, 04:42 PM
Flower of Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfuji
Here is one of my old 4#3b vids. It does fly very well and aggressive with the right set-up IMO. I still also fly an all stock (plastic & brushed) 4#3 and that heli still stable and agile when I give it stick.
In the 2 and a bit years I've had 4#3 helis, I've only had one outdoors once. After seeing your vid I think I'll need to take one out again for another blast. I tend to think of them as indoor only helis, your vid proves otherwise

I recently stuck a 4G3 brushed motor with 4#3 pinion in my old 4#3 which has a 4#3A head and an RX2406. You ought to see the power this thing has

Dusty
Aug 17, 2010, 04:46 PM
Flower of Scotland
Quote:
What makes A vs B better?

I've probably read, but I've read so much, it's all scrambled.

A = plastic and brushed?
The 4#3A and 4#3B used to be identical, except that the metal parts on the 4#3B were plastic on the 4#3A. The 4#3B evolved to be brushless then double brushless and was always the more popular of the two.

Ask anyone who owns both (like me) and they'll tell you the 4#3A flies better. Here's mine

Walkera 4#3A too close to the edge (1 min 53 sec)

Dusty
Aug 17, 2010, 04:54 PM
I loved my old 4#3 and 4#3B, i did get a CB100 but that thing was fat and flew like a pig, for some reason i found the older helis much easier.
Aug 17, 2010, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvok
I think the different 4#3s are a very good choice to start.
Do not abandon it foe a CB-100, mSr or SP

If you are a beginner read Radd's School of flying. It is excellent.
Hmm, I'm not a complete beginner - I can fly my 4#3Q fairly competently tail in, but still considering a NESP to help sort out my nose in flying (and because comments suggest it's altogether less stressful to fly). I suppose I could try nose in Radds, but IIRC Radds didn't actually work that well with the 4#3Q anyway, and neither am I sure it will do much to sort out the reflexes I'm currently lacking.
Aug 17, 2010, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1000
The 4#3A and 4#3B used to be identical, except that the metal parts on the 4#3B were plastic on the 4#3A. The 4#3B evolved to be brushless then double brushless and was always the more popular of the two.

Ask anyone who owns both (like me) and they'll tell you the 4#3A flies better. Here's mine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beiPwbqmqMc

Dusty
Did slow impact with the wall at 1:02 result in damaged parts?
Aug 17, 2010, 05:08 PM
Quote:
How about a vid showing it raising hell in the living room?
Flying a 4#3 in a living room is hard. The hiller head works OK for doing big sweeping turns, but when you try to do it in a confined space the heli has a tendency to slide off axis and then lacks the cyclic response to recover. If you're flying outside with lots of room then it's a little easier to handle, although still difficult.

This is why I'm so looking forward to V100D01. If they can design a heli the size of a 4#3 but with the cyclic response of a V120D01 then it should be a lot easier to fly indoors. Unfortunately all my attempts to add cyclic response to my 4#3/4B100/CB100 have failed. I tried a TechHead, but it had a terrible rebound effect that pretty much guaranteed the heli was going to crash. I also tried a bell/hiller mod but it has terrible TBE. I'm hoping the V10D01 will have all the benefits of those mods without the pitfalls.

Dan
Aug 17, 2010, 06:13 PM
Flower of Scotland
Quote:
Did slow impact with the wall at 1:02 result in damaged parts?
Nope none at all. I picked it off the floor and put it straight back on the coffee table. These are very tough helis. I'd guess they go 50 crashes before something breaks on average.

Dusty
Aug 17, 2010, 06:26 PM
4#3A and 4#3B are considerally more "stable" than the original 4#3 due to dampers in the head.

Saying that none are "stable".

A 4#3B will teach you one of two things...
How to fly a difficult heli
and
That other helis fly themselves!

It does have a few bad flight traits though...some standard FP issues and some of it's own.

Here's a vid of mine last week. I now fly a mothed 4G3 in my living room when I get the urge.

Walkera 4#3B Highly Modified Last Flight 040810 (4 min 8 sec)

Amp
Aug 17, 2010, 08:15 PM
ah, the version 1 Walkera 4#3. I love that heli actually;

Here is she is at its peak of my modding this little beast;

Walkera 4#3: In the Twilight Zone (2 min 40 sec)

Quick Reply