Aug 16, 2010, 04:01 PM
Real Time Recon
Thread OP
Discussion

Don't fly RC at an airport

Last edited by realtimerecon; Sep 22, 2010 at 03:52 PM.
Aug 16, 2010, 04:29 PM
Fault seems not to be with the RC pilot - be interested to see the damage on the full-size - looked like a wingtip strike!
Aug 16, 2010, 05:08 PM
GTH NFL
Whoa - here's an interesting and plausible post from Youtube.

Quote:
This took place at the Van Airpark North of Denver. The RC pilot was being spotted by the airboss and was following his direction. From what I can gather the full scale pilot did not respond to the airboss and made an unannounced fly-by. Chris had about 3 seconds warning before the impact. Not enough time to get a stationary airplane cleared of the area.
Aug 16, 2010, 05:19 PM
Why are RC planes flying at an active airport? Was that a AMA sanctioned event? Sorry but as a licensed pilot I feel the RC flier was crazy to be over the active runway. He is really lucky the pilot of the biplane was, I hope, uninjured. Wonder who is paying for the repairs and also wonder if the FAA got involved. That is scary.
Aug 16, 2010, 05:27 PM
Low, slow and dirty
At air shows with one landing strip. They usually shut down the airport while the RC guys fly!

RC activities are usually done at the end of the field
Aug 16, 2010, 05:36 PM
56S
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by BE77 Pilot
Why are RC planes flying at an active airport? Was that a AMA sanctioned event? Sorry but as a licensed pilot I feel the RC flier was crazy to be over the active runway. He is really lucky the pilot of the biplane was, I hope, uninjured. Wonder who is paying for the repairs and also wonder if the FAA got involved. That is scary.
I agree. These have no place anywhere near an active runway. I'm based out of KUYF (Madness Co) and we had a RC club flying about 750' north of our approach to RWY 27. They finally got kicked of the OSU property for buzzing one of the maintenance guys cutting the grass. If they did that what's keeping them from flying in formation with our 12"=1' scale birds.

Once my trip to Gassaway WV was delayed enroute because of storms,
After settled in for the night at a BB in Athens and calling FSS, I found out the arrival field was closed the next day for an RC show. The briefer's advice was to call 5 out on unicom ask ask permission to land to check a possible oil temp gauge problem. That worked great and after checking the "problem", took a few of the RC guys a trip around the patch just to test the "fix". The airboss for the day couldn't have been nicer and more professional.

Some years back I saw a picture of a Biz-jet with a nitro powered balsa growth sticking out the starboard fuselage. Anyone else seen this photo?
Aug 16, 2010, 05:37 PM
Fly safe, fly often!
The title of the video should read "Full size biplane crashes into . . . "
Aug 16, 2010, 05:57 PM
St. Boondock
Quote:
+1 we have several big RC events at our local airport every year and the go off without a hitch.
Aug 16, 2010, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Knifemaker
+1 we have several big RC events at our local airport every year and the go off without a hitch.
Is your airport controlled or uncontrolled? Also, do the RC pilots fly directly over the runways? If the airport was controlled, meaning it has an active tower, then aircraft would be required to have clearance to be in the airspace of the airport. A full size aircraft would not legally be able to over fly the runway the way that biplane did without clearance. However, in a uncontrolled airport, no tower, his responsibility is to see and avoid other aircraft. But there is no way to see a RC plane, and he was within the law to overfly the runway the way he did. That puts the responsibility on the RC flier to NOT be in airspace used legally by full sized aircraft. I still would like to know if there was an FAA enforcement in this case. They do not mess around and would LOVE to make an example of that guy.
Aug 16, 2010, 06:13 PM
St. Boondock
Quote:
Is your airport controlled or uncontrolled? Also, do the RC pilots fly directly over the runways? If the airport was controlled, meaning it has an active tower, then aircraft would be required to have clearance to be in the airspace of the airport. A full size aircraft would not legally be able to over fly the runway the way that biplane did without clearance. However, in a uncontrolled airport, no tower, his responsibility is to see and avoid other aircraft. But there is no way to see a RC plane, and he was within the law to overfly the runway the way he did. That puts the responsibility on the RC flier to NOT be in airspace used legally by full sized aircraft. I still would like to know if there was an FAA enforcement in this case. They do not mess around and would LOVE to make an example of that guy.
Yes, it's controlled. The designate a whole other runway and area. Frank runs a tight ship

http://www.franktiano.com/
Aug 16, 2010, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Knifemaker
Yes, it's controlled. The designate a whole other runway and area. Frank runs a tight ship

http://www.franktiano.com/
Holy crap!!! That's it, I got'a move to FL.

Aug 16, 2010, 06:20 PM
St. Boondock
Quote:
Holy crap!!! That's it, I got'a move to FL.

Ya...

You gotta see Franks workshop
Aug 16, 2010, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGINETORQUE
Fault seems not to be with the RC pilot - be interested to see the damage on the full-size - looked like a wingtip strike!
Huh? Are you kidding me? C'mon! This is too easy. This RC pilot is either an idiot or a dupe or an accomplice. No Spotter in evidence. I would be hard pressed to imagine an instance where a full scale scale aircraft under these circumstances would not have the ROW.
Aug 16, 2010, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtimerecon
I had to post this(grabbed it from another thread).As there is a lesson to learn>>>

A little late to say I am sorry. That was real stupid.
Aug 16, 2010, 06:48 PM
St. Boondock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufcut
Huh? Are you kidding me? C'mon! This is too easy. This RC pilot is either an idiot or a dupe or an accomplice. No Spotter in evidence. I would be hard pressed to imagine an instance where a full scale scale aircraft under these circumstances would not have the ROW.
Maybe he was buzzing the RC field

Quick Reply