May 22, 2012, 08:29 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Thread OP
BTW CG. Happy birthday!
to remove ads between posts
May 22, 2012, 09:03 PM
@Glen
UAVProducts have the DJI flame wheel 450 for $32.00.

http://www.uavproducts.com/dji-multi-rotor-naza-system/

go to the store to order.

I think the 550 goes for $48.00
May 22, 2012, 09:04 PM
@CG,
happy birthday,
May 22, 2012, 09:49 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Thanks for the HB guys !

I think I want an FPV wing. Had an offer for one some time ago, hope it will work cause I miss the Stryker.

Art, was thinking, now that you flew youor multi FPV and it went nicely, are you thinking of some places to put on film using it ? I just can't stop from thinking about location to film, this machine takes some incredible views.
May 22, 2012, 10:32 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Thread OP
AS a matter of fact, yes I am. 8^)

The electric pylon guys want me to make a little promo video for them.

Local historic cemetery wants some aerial photos and video for an upcoming anniversary.

Local sheepdog/herding competition would like some video of their dogs in action.

Cool part of using the GoPro as FPV camera is you are recording exactly what you see in the goggles.
May 22, 2012, 11:06 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Thread OP
Having to endure some boring soldering on the "H" quad. Wiring from ESCs to motors is just a teeny-weensy to short. Trying a new take on the conduit brackets for landing gear.
May 22, 2012, 11:08 PM
Quick question - will I see an improvement in quality of my recorded flights by switching from an Aiptek MPVR+CB to a "high-quality DVR" like the FPV Japan DVR (http://fpv-japan.com/item/fj-dvr-sd4/lang/en/)? Just wondering if the device used to record the image received has any impact on video quality.

-NK

P.S Happy birthday CG, good to see some fellow twenty somethings around here.
May 22, 2012, 11:19 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk4787
Quick question - will I see an improvement in quality of my recorded flights by switching from an Aiptek MPVR+CB to a "high-quality DVR" like the FPV Japan DVR (http://fpv-japan.com/item/fj-dvr-sd4/lang/en/)? Just wondering if the device used to record the image received has any impact on video quality.

-NK

I'm sure it does. There are all kinds of samples of the Japan-DVR on you-tube and Vimeo, take a look and see how they compare to yours. My sony camcorder captures video 10 times better than anything else I've tried, although the laptop did a pretty good job.
May 22, 2012, 11:24 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Thread OP
BTW, I ordered a few batteries from HobbyKing USA on Sunday evening... they arrived today!
May 22, 2012, 11:41 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quote:
Duh ! I means, yesss, suuuure, twenty something

I'm 42 today

Btw nk, nice clouds video, but I find you have a lot of static in your video link. I'd be scare of going that far or that high with this video link. Is it me, or are the others here thinking the same ? Maybe we can help you get a better link ?
May 22, 2012, 11:45 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland
AS a matter of fact, yes I am. 8^)

The electric pylon guys want me to make a little promo video for them.

Local historic cemetery wants some aerial photos and video for an upcoming anniversary.

Local sheepdog/herding competition would like some video of their dogs in action.

Cool part of using the GoPro as FPV camera is you are recording exactly what you see in the goggles.
Wow, you're far more advance in this than I thought ! Hope you can make some money out of it Using another FPV cam would not make a big difference in the angles of the shots I think because they all have some wide FOV. I just don't see the point of using another camera as there seems to be plenty of battery in the GoPro and the little OSD gives us the status anyway.

I'd like to be able to install another FPV cam for night flying, GoPro not good in low light environment. Than I could record with the aiptek. I could just make a mount for the FPV cam and install it in place of GoPro with another harness. Could be made to be easily swapable.
May 23, 2012, 12:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca
Btw nk, nice clouds video, but I find you have a lot of static in your video link. I'd be scare of going that far or that high with this video link. Is it me, or are the others here thinking the same ? Maybe we can help you get a better link ?
The more help the better! There is a lot of static but I'm actually happy about it as it represents a basic setup sans any fine-tuning so now the fun can begin.

I've been keeping track of data from every FPV flight (i.e. distance, altitude, etc.). My previous FPV flights were using 5.8GHz video, antenna tracker, diversity, EzUHF LRS, and EzOSD. With this setup, my max distance was 2.2km and altitude was 524m. I have since downscaled to 1280MHz video, 72MHz rc control, and EagleTree with RTH and have shattered my records, albeit with considerable noise. The primary reason I'm able to fly with the noise is because I've got the RTH working so it's provided a lot more confidence / less risk. Don't get me wrong, RTH by no means flies back to the palm of your hand, but it certainly makes an attempt to come back to you and, in doing so, does a good job of restoring signal. This lets you really push the limit of your gear.

The goal is to now take this base setup and refine it to minimize the noise as a means to continue to break my personal records. I have now got a little over 10 hours of flight time with the gear to be used so I've laid out a plan of attack (during which any feedback you guys have would be awesome!):
1. Improve flight characteristics: The Skywalker isn't flying as nicely as I'd like it to. It handles wind great but I'm not getting the 2-3A or 4-6A cruise current which has been reported.
2. Reduce the 'black fuzzy noise': This is most prevalent in XXV (broken records) and is the only noise I've experienced which actually hinders my flying so I'd like to target this first. I plan to start by testing out my vRx antennae to see if it's a problem on the receiving end.
3. Reduce soft 'snowy noise': This is the final refinement of reducing the minor noise (grainy effects, lines, etc.) which don't hinder flying but hinder the video. Plan on tackling this by implement toroids, twisting wires, etc.
4. Enhance stability of RC control: I've experiencing a lot of 'glitching' in my radio control so I'd like to stabilize this either by experimenting with 72mhz channels / antennae or going back to LRS.

So to start off, anyone know what the cause of the black fuzzy noise is? I haven't seen it in any other FPV videos.

-NK
May 23, 2012, 01:58 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Thread OP
5-20-2012 flight in the rain_II (5 min 58 sec)
May 23, 2012, 03:43 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca
Wow ! Canadadrones ! I like that

Its my Birthday today, my daughter and my wife couldn't believe I didn't buy myself a plane or something RC related. Maybe I should have ? I just find I have enough toys for now, would not know what to buy and already feel a little (little) bit guilty that some projects are not ready yet.

I am miserous
Happy Birthday Andre ! hope you had a good time..as per belated prezzies if you miss your stryker then I can recommend the Skyfun. Same flying characteristics but much more space in the trunc!

Quote:

-NK

A friend of mine has the FPV Japan DVR. He is well disappointed with it.
-the unit was shipped from Japan,
-the battery from the US,
-and the pouch was also sent separately.
- then, the battery puffed up on it's own despite being well looked after.
-Also, at the highest quality setting it stops recording when the slightest signal loss appears.

So for the price he paid he says it is a poor value for money
Another friend ordered this one from bevrc I have seen the recording from it and it is great unit and cheaper.

this is the recording he did yesterday when we tried his new Spectre from IBcrazy. the surprising thing is that it recorded ground audio. he did not have a microphone on the plane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8G_WrpKn7o

this video has not been edited or deinterlaced and according to the pilot the on board camera is not the best . I think the qulaity is pretty good
May 23, 2012, 07:48 AM

batteries from hobbyking

Quote:
Originally Posted by art newland
btw, i ordered a few batteries from hobbyking usa on sunday evening... They arrived today!
absolute miracle!!!!!!

Quick Reply