Oct 23, 2011, 05:44 PM

bolt on Skywalker Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by art newland View Post
how tough would it be to covert the sw to a bolt-on wing?

Time to eat crow...
Couldn't resist the copter control fc, went a teensie-weensie over budget... 8^)
A LOT easier than trying to figure out how many rubber bands to use!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 23, 2011, 08:48 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
Care to share the trick?
Putting MORE rubber bands, as RCM will tell you now. Never TO with only 4 rubber bands, at least 8 #64 will hold a wing on a 5 to 6 pounds plane.

Quote:
Couldn't resist the copter control fc, went a teensie-weensie over budget
Now that I want to see ! Interested in your flying report. Today I recorded the FPV flight of a club member with his T-copter (tri copter in T shape). He had an E-bay KK controller, was rock solid ! At 45 $, I'll order one !

Quote:
and to accompany it a generous splash of chateau fontained'eau
What year ?
Oct 23, 2011, 08:56 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quote:
so far I've gone out more then 8000' with my Spektrum
Booster ?

Quote:
No more FPV till I get a UHF system.
What brand your looking to buy ?

Today i flew the Stryker 3 km out as last video, I was on patch and fellow club member that does FPV was on his VRx and omni, he said he was getting clear picture with only the omni at 3 km out !!! I tried his omni and had snow on the screen much before that. His VRx must be very good to catch my signal at 3 km out (200 mW) with an omni, he has a 900 VRx with dual output, anybody tried that VRx ?
Oct 23, 2011, 09:50 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !

Warning: NON FPV video

I post this since you'll watch almost anything. Beside, who wouldn't want to see an RC jet video ? Full report of the Habu maiden here.

Habu 32 maiden (2 min 57 sec)
Oct 24, 2011, 12:08 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Thread OP
Nice CG!

seaguls at the beach (4 min 22 sec)
Oct 24, 2011, 12:52 AM

carguy 8000 ft distance

"so far I've gone out more then 8000' with my Spektrum"

I have gone out about 3000ft FPV with a dx7 system before glitches were detected in the controls (and brief motor failsafes) at which point i decided to come back. I have the dual ar7000 receiver.

Whomever stated the 8000 ft. range, i would ask are you using dx8? Need to get a new system and would get dx8 if it is that much better....lots of radio activity in my area...maybe that affects my max. range.....
Last edited by pkfoamer; Oct 24, 2011 at 12:57 AM.
Oct 24, 2011, 05:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
How tough would it be to covert the SW to a bolt-on wing?

Time to eat crow...
Couldn't resist the copter control FC, went a teensie-weensie over budget... 8^)
congrats, I didn't know they were available...

Nice flight CG
Oct 24, 2011, 09:11 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Thread OP
Thanks Morris, I received the file you sent me. I'll take a look at it.

I removed the nun chuck from my Wii FC and still works fine, I need a real NC or maybe one of the Bosch sensors.
Oct 24, 2011, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
What brand your looking to buy ?
Whatever's easiest to hook up to a DX8 since trying to find a reasonably-priced 9CAP TX is impossible. I'm not sure if it's in this first video, but I had two lockouts with my DX8 on Saturday. I regained control on the first, but the second resulted in a crash. That video is coming.

Here's my first "official" FPV video.

FPV @ Dawn (10 min 0 sec)
Oct 24, 2011, 09:28 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quote:
Need to get a new system and would get dx8 if it is that much better....lots of radio activity in my area...maybe that affects my max. range.....
I would be surprised the DX8 puts out more power than the DX7 (old DX7), as it only has 4 cells in the battery compartment. Also, RC power is limited to 500 mW IIRC, so couldn't be twice the distance. Beside, those radios are met for LOS, who would need 8000 feet range ?

UHF is the best for FPV if you want to go long range. Spektrum is fine if you fly close in. If you can find yourself a 72 mhz radio, you can do pretty well with a good receiver. You can even go to 3 to 4 km with a longer antenna (don't remember if it is half wave or full wave ?) on the receiver.
Oct 24, 2011, 09:47 AM
DO NOT GET A DX8

Just trust me on this. I am seriously regretting buying mine. As soon as the regular flying season ends it's going back to Spektrum (but they'll say there's nothing wrong with it) and then it's being sold.

I crashed *again* on Saturday because of a lockout, and I have video of my buddy crashing in the exact same manner with his new DX8. I got lucky this time and it locked out fairly low and I spiraled into some long grass.

Edit: I just realized I have a JR 72Mhz radio here NIB that I got with my Ebay Raptor-22 trainer. I'm going to use this for FPV (even though it's only 6-channel. It will do for now). I'm still selling my DX8 though and will look at another 2.4 brand.
Oct 24, 2011, 10:59 AM
But often down to earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkfoamer View Post
"so far I've gone out more then 8000' with my Spektrum"

I have gone out about 3000ft FPV with a dx7 system before glitches were detected in the controls (and brief motor failsafes) at which point i decided to come back. I have the dual ar7000 receiver.

Whomever stated the 8000 ft. range, i would ask are you using dx8? Need to get a new system and would get dx8 if it is that much better....lots of radio activity in my area...maybe that affects my max. range.....
That was probably me. I went out 8333 feet last week and 8503 feet yesterday. Since I started using the Guardian from EagleTree my RTH is rock solid so I can go to the RC range limit without worrying I'll lose the plane. I use a parabolic reflector to get that far. The DX8 with the AR8000 receiver gets about 5000 feet without the reflector.

Here's a good web site about the reflector. http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template2/

Here's mine:
Oct 24, 2011, 11:00 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
A-AH ! I knew it couldn't be stock Nice info though, tx for sharing !
Oct 24, 2011, 11:11 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
Are you still flying ? There's no landing...

You ow to make a FPV video there. Would be so cool to so some long distance flight over there. That is a nice beach ! Is it swimable over there, I mean, when it's hot outside ?
Oct 24, 2011, 11:13 AM
But often down to earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
A-AH ! I knew it couldn't be stock Nice info though, tx for sharing !
The next time out I'm going to try to aim the reflector better and aim for 10000 feet.

Steve

Quick Reply