Aug 16, 2010, 08:52 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

What happened to printer ink???

Ok, I copied a portion of some plans yesterday and went to iron on the transfer to the balsa. Uh... no transfer. WTH? I couldn't even get it to go with a solvent.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 16, 2010, 11:34 AM
The transfer technique does not work with ink from an inkjet printer. It may work when you have a copy produced by a Xerox machine. The Xerox-type copier uses graphite which in turn, transfers to the balsa when you apply heat (or a solvent).

Alan
Aug 16, 2010, 01:20 PM
Laser printer or photocopies generally work great.

I've never known an inkjet image that has worked properly...they take a lot of trouble to keep the images fixed and these days they really are fixed .

Steve
Aug 22, 2010, 05:52 AM
Will fly for food
Laser printers/copiers use a plastic toner powder that is heated to melt into the image.

So ironing or solvent (that melts plastic) will soften the image and allow transfer.

Ink jet inks are water or alcohol based and dry like paint. If printed on the proper material, they will transfer. Use the material in the make your own T-shirt transfer kits.

Quick Reply