New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2010, 05:03 AM
Find More Posts by domll
Question

Outer wing attachment.

Currently i'm building a twin engine aircraft. the center section of the wing will be part off the fuselage, from the outside edge of nacelles too wing tip i intend to have this section as a plugin.

Question: What would be the best way of attaching these, securely, allowing for easy removal when transporting
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2010, 05:52 AM
Find More Posts by eflightray
An itch?. Scratch build.
I have a B-25 with detachable outer panels, a B-17 with each complete wing panel detachable at the fuselage side, and a Sunderland with the outer panels detachable.
All electric powered and 93" span, 100" span, and 90" span.

On all of them I use a pin going through the joining spar for retention. The sketch explains it better.
I normally use hardwood dowel for the joining spar, rolled paper tubes for the alignment tubes, (the Sunderland uses fiberglass tubes).
The pin is usually a piece of push rod off-cut, and the pin aligning tube a piece of snake outer, and is a good friction fit through the dowel.

Yes, I do tend to do things on the cheap, , but they work. Haven't lost a wing so far, but then niether do I do aerobatics with scale(ish) models that never did either.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 06:57 AM
Find More Posts by domll
Thanks eflightray, i'm working on a bristol Beaufighter so no aerobatics for me
As this works for 93" span, 100" span, and 90" span, 51" will be not problem.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 10:21 AM
Find More Posts by rotccapt
that tree ate my plane
if you were worried about loosing the pin you could replace it with a screw and a blind nut