Aug 10, 2010, 11:31 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

dollar tree 60in aero glider

Inspired by EPP eraser 60 and driven by my jealousy of my fellow flying friends' 1.5m flat wing aileron EPP planes at my local flying spot, I decided to build a dollar tree foam based 1.5 meter wing span flat wing aileron/elevator glider. Though it's not really designed for combat purposes (not EPP), it was designed and built with simplicity(mostly straight cuts)/performance(maneuverability)/budget(under 10 bucks for airframe?) in mind. I took it out for a maiden flight last weekend and it is delightful in the air. Very floaty and maneuverable. Perhaps I will reinforce a few critical spots with some Popsicle sticks and join the fight anyway. It's only 3-5 dollars worth of building material and 2 days worth of building time after all.

p.s. I was going to put a motor in the front, but decided not to since it flew well without one. It can be easily modded to take a motor in the front.

youtube vid. the camera work was a bit unsteady, sorry about that.
dollar tree foam 60" aero glider soaring (6 min 20 sec)

building materials:

2 sticks of spruce/Popsicle sticks for main spar: $5
2-3 sheets of foam( used some scraps, not sure if 2 new sheets would be sufficient) $2-3
color tape 2 bucks a roll
chopstick + useless credit card for accessories
3 servos (2 mystery 9gram, 1 hxt 900 9gram)
used AA batteries for nose weight
Last edited by haogodent2; Aug 11, 2010 at 07:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 11, 2010, 02:24 AM
R/C Junkie
Looks good. How did you make the wing. Looks like and airfoil.

Brian
Aug 11, 2010, 11:31 AM
Thread OP
The wing is built by:
first gluing 2 sheets of 30" by 14" sheets together to get a 60" piece,
then glue two pieces of spruce lengthwise at 1/3 of 7 " and a strip of foam at 5" mark,
then simply fold the foam over @ 7" and glue it down.

Quick Reply