Aug 09, 2010, 08:35 AM
Balsa Lover
Thread OP
Build Log

Peter Rake's Fokker F.II - 30" Prototype Build

Peter Rake kindly lets me build a prototype of his 30" Fokker F.II.

Currently i'm studying the plan and will probably visit my local modeling shop for laser cutting the parts later this week.

Quote:
From Wikipedia:

The Fokker F.II was the first of a long series of commercial aircraft from the Fokker Aircraft Company, flying in 1919. In a biplane age, it presented a distinct clean, high wing monoplane style that sold successfully across Europe and North America during the development of commercial passenger-carrying aviation

General characteristics
Crew: One pilot
Capacity: 5 passengers
Length: 11.65 m (38 ft 3 in)
Wingspan: 16.10 m (52 ft 10 in)
Height: 3.66 m (12 ft 0 in)
Wing area: 38.2 m² (411 ft²)
Empty weight: 1,200 kg (2,650 lb)
Gross weight: 1,900 kg (4,190 lb)
Powerplant: 1 × Armstrong Siddeley Puma, 180 kW (240 hp) each

Performance
Maximum speed: 150 km/h (93 mph)
Cruising speed: 120 km/h (75 mph)
Range: 1,200 km (750 miles)
Last edited by gupi; Aug 10, 2010 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Added data of the original Fokker F.II
to remove ads between posts
Aug 09, 2010, 08:37 AM
Balsa Lover
Thread OP
Pete,

I noticed two issues while looking at the plan:

1. On the plan it seems that rib R7 is marked twice, while R8 is missing.

2. On the sheet with the parts to cut, TE1 is missing.

gupi
Aug 09, 2010, 08:57 AM
Oops. The ribs themselves were correct, both on plan and cut file, I just labelled two the same. The missing trailing edge piece is now added and I've sent you the revised file.

Pete
Aug 10, 2010, 12:02 PM
Balsa Lover
Thread OP
Thanks, Pete.

I'm thinking to use the classic KLM color scheme. They were Fokker's first customer.

gupi
Aug 13, 2010, 12:11 PM
Balsa Lover
Thread OP
Finally it's getting serious. I visited my model shop today and printed out the plan two times: one for building on it and one to hang on the wall for reference.

I ordered the laser cut pieces, too. If everything works out, i might get the parts tomorrow already.

Pete,

Living in a country with metric units I can't get imperial sized wood. So my build will be a little off in weight i guess - and i might have to sand the spars a bit to make them fit into the ribs.

gupi
Aug 13, 2010, 03:50 PM
gupi,
Yes, if you use 2.5 mm sheet. It's only 0.1 mm though, so depends on the accuracy of the cutting - and the accuracy of the wood thickness.
That's pretty quick service you get there.

Pete
Aug 14, 2010, 04:40 PM
Balsa Lover
Thread OP
My favorite model shop delivered!

I've got all laser cut parts ready and verified on the plan. The ribs fit nicely on the spars. Everything looks very good now.
Aug 14, 2010, 04:43 PM
Balsa Lover
Thread OP
Pete,

I noticed that wire part A is printed as 16 swg on the plan, but in the shopping list it says 18 swg.

gupi
Aug 14, 2010, 04:59 PM
Balsa Lover
Thread OP
Dry fitting the left halve of the wing. I bravely resist the urge to start glueing and go to bed for today. It's better to start a build well rested.
Aug 14, 2010, 06:39 PM
Thanks mate. It's now corrected on the plan and should, of course, have said 18 swg.

Those laser cut parts look rather nice. It's no bad thing that they appear to fit well too.

Pete
Aug 15, 2010, 11:31 AM
The lighting isn't really working on those photos. The ones you took of the wing assembly are much sharper and more crisp. Remember that without good photos, I have nothing to publish. Therefore, I hope you're saving the uncompressed images for me.

That said, the model seems to be progressing nicely. Interesting technique of gluing the parts to the film.

Pete
Aug 15, 2010, 01:19 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE
The lighting isn't really working on those photos. The ones you took of the wing assembly are much sharper and more crisp. Remember that without good photos, I have nothing to publish. Therefore, I hope you're saving the uncompressed images for me.

That said, the model seems to be progressing nicely. Interesting technique of gluing the parts to the film.

Pete
Indeed! I took note of that as well. I admit having observed how the film still "sticks" to the structure a bit when removing the parts from the board, but I'd never thought to actually utilize that effect! Sehr klug, gupi!

James
Aug 15, 2010, 04:10 PM
Balsa Lover
Thread OP
Pete,

I feared that the light might not be enough. I'm very sorry about that. The other photos were taken on the kitchen table (vs. my regular building table, which is much smaller by the way). I'll take the photos on the kitchen table again until i manage to get better lighting for the building table. Sure I keep the originals, the ones I'm posting here have to be downsized otherwise i can't post.

Pete, James,

Thanks for the praise for the technique. I've read a build log some time ago where someone used CA to glue his build to a glass table with the plan taped underneath and thought: this might work with clear film, too. It allows for very quick builds.

gupi
Last edited by gupi; Aug 15, 2010 at 04:19 PM.

Quick Reply