Aug 08, 2010, 06:31 PM
Thread OP
Help!

What hinge tape?

I obtained a nice 3M full house F3F and am in the process of cleaning it up. I took off the inner flap due to the tape (hinge) wearing out. It appears there is tape on the inside of the wing and tape on the outer side of the control surface. The consistency of the tape is almost like SCOTCH TAPE!!! Is this what guys are using? Tape runs along whole length of flap.

Any recommendations of what was used or what the serious precise builders are using. This is a precise ship with Volz servos, zero play control surfaces, etc and want to keep it that way.

Thanks all

jerry

Last edited by Ebolavoodoo; Aug 23, 2010 at 08:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 09, 2010, 01:06 PM

Hinge Tape

jerry,

I have never encountered the tape that you describe. The tape I like for hinges is Moore Crystal Clear tape. It is very thin but quite tough. It can be a bit finicky to work with but it sticks well and lasts for years. When you do need to remove it it does not leave any sticky residue.

For hinges I fold open the hinge line (temporarily hinged with masking tape in a couple spots) and lay a strip that becomes the inside of the hinge. Then I put the flying surface in its normal position and run another strip of tape that spans the surface and wing together while just touching the sticky side of the first tape. This forms a hinge of two tape thicknesses which is quite secure and nicely flexible.

Here is where I get the tape:

http://www.misterart.com/store/view/...Clear-Tape.htm

Hope this helps.

Rick
Aug 09, 2010, 02:15 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Rick.

After looking at it, the old hinge was done the same way. I thought it was different sided sticky tape, but in reality, there was clear tape on inside and outside of surface. Thanks for the tip and link. Placing an order today.

jerry
Aug 09, 2010, 02:25 PM
3...2...1...See'Ya!!!!
I always use clear hockey tape. It's a lot like electrical tape, but it's a lot stickier and it's clear. You should be able to get it at any sporting goods store.

--Jeremy
Aug 09, 2010, 03:03 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Hi Jeremy

Being a L.A. guy here my whole life i have never heard of hockey tape , how is it used in the game ? thanks.

Don
Aug 09, 2010, 03:13 PM
volare est vivere
hi there from Toledo

I think they use it to repair broken hockey pucks, or maybe for repairing broken teeth, or maybe for closing wounds, or for closing the mouths of loudmouth fans, but then again I could be wrong.

ciao -rjf
Last edited by ray foley; Aug 09, 2010 at 03:19 PM.
Aug 09, 2010, 11:03 PM
3...2...1...See'Ya!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by granada don
Hi Jeremy

Being a L.A. guy here my whole life i have never heard of hockey tape , how is it used in the game ? thanks.

Don
Well... Classic "hockey tape" is double sided sticky cloth tape for wrapping the blade of the stick so the puck grips it, and also on the handle of the stick for better grip...

Now, CLEAR hockey tape, I really don't understand... I see guys wrap it around their legs after they put their pads on to keep their shin pads on tighter, but I never use it. All of the clear hockey tape I buy goes right onto airplanes!

--Jeremy (from Minnesota)
Aug 09, 2010, 11:26 PM
auto-tune remix
I'd probably do a silicone hinge. Easy and strong. Don't use GE Silicone II- just the 100% silicone- aquarium silicone is good.
Aug 10, 2010, 12:39 AM
I believe most modern F3B planes are using silicone hinges. You apply the outside tape just like if you were tape hinging it, then a bead of silicone to the inside when the surface is deflected open. Set the surface in the neutral position to dry. Once dry peel off the tape and you have a killer hinge that wont let go in flight.
Aug 10, 2010, 02:11 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaldes
I believe most modern F3B planes are using silicone hinges. You apply the outside tape just like if you were tape hinging it, then a bead of silicone to the inside when the surface is deflected open. Set the surface in the neutral position to dry. Once dry peel off the tape and you have a killer hinge that wont let go in flight.
Vey interesting. ould love to hear more on this.....
Aug 10, 2010, 09:23 AM
auto-tune remix
Pretty much goes like this:

Use brown masking tape to hinge the surfaces. Make sure to leave a small 1/32nd" gap between the surface and the sub-training edge. Flex the surface up (if top-hinged). I use small syringes with the needle removed- remove the plunger from the rear and fill your syringe with silicone. Squeeze a *small* bead of silicone into the gap. Using a popsicle stick, scoop off the excess. Position the control surface back the "level" and let the stuff cure for at least 24 hours, of not more.

After 24 hours, peel off the brown masking tape and see how it went. The hinge should flex, and not be too stiff. If you mess it up, cut the surface off, dig out the silicone, and try again.
Aug 10, 2010, 01:01 PM
Ascended Master
The hospital tape "Derma-Blend" makes a good hinge tape.
Du-Bro sells it at the LHS.
Last edited by Sparky Paul; Aug 10, 2010 at 01:13 PM.
Aug 10, 2010, 03:25 PM
My hinges are done as shown in the diagram by Sparky Paul. I have always used Scotch Book tape. It is strong, long lasting, resistant to UV and quite sticky.
Aug 10, 2010, 03:55 PM
Thread OP
Thanks all for your input. Lots of good stuff here. I am really intrigued by the silicone method. Sparky's illustration of his process using Scotch Book Tape looks great as well.

jerry
Aug 10, 2010, 04:55 PM
I sell a tape called Super Sticky Hinge Tape. holds like no ones business and does not come loose in hot weather.

Mark Miller
www.isthmusmodels.com

Quick Reply