The 9th Annual Randy Covington Electric Fly-In - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 07, 2010, 09:37 PM
OCD
Discussion

The 9th Annual Randy Covington Electric Fly-In

Just wanted to start a thread for The 9th Annual Randy Covington Electric Fly-In after being poked and prodded in the ATTF blog. Hope we can help answer any questions about our event. Here is a link to the event flyer.

72MHz is welcomed and allowed.
No pre-registration just $5/day landing fee and have your AMA.
Closest towns are King and Winston-Salem (15 min). Map is in the flyer.
Camping on-site/no hook up
Restrooms available.
The Heli Deli will be serving food (you got to try the RAMS sauce on everything).
I think there will an LMR and maybe even just a Radian only LMR.
Door Prizes, raffles, just all kinds of stuff going on.

There is a lot going on not in the flyer. There will be lots of night flying and eating. If I am not mistaken, steaks on Friday and Spaghetti on Saturday nights. If you are interested in the evening meals contact Tony Simmons at sonyt@aol.com

I have attached a few picts to help you get a feel for how big and open the field is and our president and vice president so you will know a few faces when you arrive.

If you are close or in the area come out. We are expecting more than the 70-80 pilots last year.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 07, 2010, 10:10 PM
Robot, RC Pilot & Builder :-)
Marcus, Thanks for creating this thread!

Thanks also for posting Tony's email address... the AMA listing and the flyer both have a typo in his email address; I appreciate the correction.

I'll post my remaining questions here...

1. Most importantly, is there still time for me to sign up for the Steak on Friday, and the Spaghetti on Saturday? (I just emailed Tony about this.)

2. When do most folks arrive? And how late on Sunday do most folks stay to fly?

3. Are there any flight demos or contests, and when are they scheduled?

4. I'd like to provide FPV "video rides", like I did at SEFF... while I fly conventionally, I'd let people wear my FPV goggles, to see the view from the model... This would be 100% in accordance with all AMA rules. Would there be any issue with doing so?

This will be my first Randy Covington event... anything else should I know?

Thanks!

Kevin
Last edited by kevinhines; Aug 08, 2010 at 10:23 AM.
Aug 07, 2010, 10:52 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Thanks for the thread guys!! Hopefully with all the talk on ATTF about this event, we can hit 100 + pilots this year, and deal with parking

For those of you that are not familiar with this event, in my opinion SEFF is the only event I go to that tops it. And the only reason why is the size of SEFF. The field is without a doubt my favorite field to fly. I love the field at Hodges, but I like this one just a bit more. There is ZERO tree line to deal with and you can fly 10ft high as far as your eyes can see the model without coming near a tree. But there is a huge hill and tree line behind the flight line that provides awesome shade in the late afternoon when really needed.

Also the members of this club are just the best. They go out of their way to make sure you have what you need and enjoy the event. There might not be 450+ pilots and a huge vendor row, but there is no shortage of good people, good food, fun flying and great times. There is normally some wildlife about in the evenings to watch. Have seen more wild turkeys at this field than any other place I have been. Plenty of deer also. Had one about run me over at the Grand Re-opening this spring.

FPV Rides!!! I am all for that. Missed it at SEFF and would love to do it again. Fred of HPP let me take my old Telemaster up after he bought it from me and equipped it for FPV.

So who else is going to this event?

Diggs

I forgot to ask, What crop are we flying over this year? Corn? Soybean? A mix?
Aug 07, 2010, 11:06 PM
KJ4YNM
Can't wait!! I hope to get the Ptero done in time to bring her along. Got the Stryker ready to go, but might do a last minute swap out of the motor and slip a Scorpion in her!

Oh, and I think I'm going to string some lights on my SuperFly and also the SlowBipe to make 'em both night flyers!

--
Tom
Aug 08, 2010, 08:39 AM

Randy Covington

Hi Nathan and Tony plus all the rest of this awsome club.This is my favorite in-state event of the year.Looking forward to seeing everyone from the re-grandopening and hopefully many more people at your event this year.Besides the beautiful field which at night is really when the fun begins,incredible stars and moon,best night flying in the state,Nathan and Tony and crew make this all possible.Thanks guys for all your hard work,look forward to seeing you in three weeks.The more people that show up the more pictures I take and with Pilot Mountain in the background,could not ask for a better backdrop. Larry
Aug 08, 2010, 08:47 AM
OCD
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrysoaring
with Pilot Mountain in the background,could not ask for a better backdrop. Larry
Just for you Larry....
Aug 08, 2010, 01:38 PM
14s 180mah should be enough...
Kevin...just show up and register as a pilot for food...that is all that is required.

Lets see..since the field is in my back yard, I get there whenever I want to drive over and unlock the gate! Seriously, though...People show up anytime, and stay till dark on Sunday, though most leave out between 3-6 on Sunday. Arrival, most show up "sometime" Friday...

Demos and contests are impromptu, ('cept for the LMR this year) this event is about EVERYONE flying as much as possible, regardless of what type of flying you do. We just want to see the skies as full as we can get them.

If you are flying within AMA guidelines, I see no issues with FPV flights, especially since you will be piloting conventional and letting folks ride along..but Nathan will have the final say, since he is Prez. I can say that Nathan is a great guy, and really fair about all things aviation, so I don't forsee any problems at all.

A has already been mentioned, there is allot that goes on the flyer doesn't mention (don't give away all the secrets, right? ;-) ) I can tell you you will have a great time, and it will be worth the ride down. The Late Late LATE night firepit gathering at the grand re-opening was a blast...right Diggs?

BTW, are Ms. Jamie and Ian planning on coming up?

Tim
AG4RZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhines
Marcus, Thanks for creating this thread!

Thanks also for posting Tony's email address... the AMA listing and the flyer both have a typo in his email address; I appreciate the correction.

I'll post my remaining questions here...

1. Most importantly, is there still time for me to sign up for the Steak on Friday, and the Spaghetti on Saturday? (I just emailed Tony about this.)

2. When do most folks arrive? And how late on Sunday do most folks stay to fly?

3. Are there any flight demos or contests, and when are they scheduled?

4. I'd like to provide FPV "video rides", like I did at SEFF... while I fly conventionally, I'd let people wear my FPV goggles, to see the view from the model... This would be 100% in accordance with all AMA rules. Would there be any issue with doing so?

This will be my first Randy Covington event... anything else should I know?

Thanks!

Kevin
Aug 08, 2010, 04:41 PM
Blew out my flip flop
Hi guys,

Camping ok? Small dog ok? Tony, you replaced your night flyer yet? Was sad to see that one go in at Seff... Flyer says grass runway, I thought I remembered it being paved?
Aug 08, 2010, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFLYOS

A has already been mentioned, there is allot that goes on the flyer doesn't mention (don't give away all the secrets, right? ;-) ) I can tell you you will have a great time, and it will be worth the ride down. The Late Late LATE night firepit gathering at the grand re-opening was a blast...right Diggs?

BTW, are Ms. Jamie and Ian planning on coming up?

Tim
AG4RZ

No doubt, lots of fun to be had and you never know what may get started. Jamie said she is coming and hopes Ian will come too. I expect to see both of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hogue
Hi guys,

Camping ok? Small dog ok? Tony, you replaced your night flyer yet? Was sad to see that one go in at Seff... Flyer says grass runway, I thought I remembered it being paved?
Mr. Hogue! Hope you make it out. Last fall they remodeled the entire field and the pavement is all gone. IMO a huge improvement. They have an awesome natural runway now.

Diggs
Aug 08, 2010, 05:06 PM
Robot, RC Pilot & Builder :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs
Thanks for the thread guys!! Hopefully with all the talk on ATTF about this event, we can hit 100 + pilots this year, and deal with parking
FPV Rides!!! I am all for that. Missed it at SEFF and would love to do it again. Fred of HPP let me take my old Telemaster up after he bought it from me and equipped it for FPV.
Diggs
Hi Diggs, Thanks for getting the word out about the Randy Covington Fly-In! You and ATTF are the reason I will make the trip to attend ... Thanks!

I look forward to providing FPV rides to you and everyone else who's interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessex
Can't wait!! I hope to get the Ptero done in time to bring her along. ...
Tom
Hi Tom, The Ptero sounds really cool... is it a kit, and could you post a link to it please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrysoaring
...The more people that show up the more pictures I take and with Pilot Mountain in the background,could not ask for a better backdrop. Larry
Hi Larry, Thanks for pointing out Pilot Mtn is so close by... I've only seen Pilot Mtn from a distance, from I-77, many miles away... I look forward to seeing it up close ... is there a good spot near Pilot Mtn, to fly & record AV of the mountain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFLYOS
Kevin...just show up and register as a pilot for food...that is all that is required.
Tim
AG4RZ
Hi Tim, Thanks for answering my questions!

I look forward to meeting you guys there... I'm preparing my list of models & gear to bring.

Thanks,
Kevin
Aug 08, 2010, 05:15 PM
Blew out my flip flop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs
No doubt, lots of fun to be had and you never know what may get started. Jamie said she is coming and hopes Ian will come too. I expect to see both of them.

Mr. Hogue! Hope you make it out. Last fall they remodeled the entire field and the pavement is all gone. IMO a huge improvement. They have an awesome natural runway now.

Diggs
Hmmmm, interesting...look forward to seeing it. Did you do anything with that pylon bird yet? I may want it back,lol
Aug 08, 2010, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hogue
Hmmmm, interesting...look forward to seeing it. Did you do anything with that pylon bird yet? I may want it back,lol
The only thing I have done with it so far is move it from the trailer to the shop. Had a couple of builds and repairs jump in front of it. I did find a power setup for it though, Mega 3 turn and a cheapy ESC. Just need to pick out some servos and a RX for it. If you are interested, I will make you a good deal

Diggs
Aug 08, 2010, 06:58 PM
KJ4YNM
Kevin,

The ptero I'm building is the 52" one from Marston Pteroworks at www.pteroworks.com. There's a pretty long build thread here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=884963.

--
Tom
Aug 08, 2010, 07:24 PM
I finished this one off today and will be bringing it out to RCAE.

Diggs
Aug 08, 2010, 08:26 PM
OK Guys. Gearing up for the Electric Event. Orders and names are now being taken for the Steak Supper on Friday Night to get this weekend Kicking!!!! Nathan and I hope to have a Nice Supprise for you to look at Diggs. All remember to e-mail me for the steaks. Have to give them an order the Monday before the Event. Thanks too for starting this thread! Let it be known that my E-Mail is Sonyt@aol.com. Working on the correction on the Site Flyer at this time. Looking foward to seeing you all. Thanks, Tony Simmons. riversiderc.com
Last edited by Sonyt; Aug 08, 2010 at 08:38 PM.