Aug 07, 2010, 02:42 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

A beginner with a brand-new plane -- HobbyZone Super Cub

Well, I bought a new plane yesterday. I am a beginner. My first plane was a HobbyZone Mini Super Cub, whose ACT (Anti Crash Technology) caused the plane to hit a fence and get split in half. And I didn't even know anything about balancing a plane, so the tail that I glued back together and added tape was very heavy. That was a bad start, but I loved the little time that it lasted. I loved this hobby before I started, and that's because I was obsessed with flying kites as I was growing up...

Then I got a GWS Slow Stick. One word, ouch. It would roll to the left and up. I was able to control the up thrust by moving the battery, but the torque roll to the left was absolutely horrible from day 1 until the fatal crash (due to a dead servo actually).

Yesterday I bought the HobbyZone Super Cub. It took me a few minutes to assemble the tail and landing gear. Everything else is ready. I have not maidened it yet because I will not fly anything before checking the CG. The manual does not mention a thing about the plane's CG; however, after searching the web, I learned that it is EXACTLY at 2.25". So, this morning, I inserted the battery pack in the compartment (wow, talk about a tight fit. It barely fits at all), and the plane was 100% balanced at 2.25". The manual won't even mention because the plane comes 100% balance (not 99.9%, 100%) right out of the box when everything is stock!

Now I hope the battery won't be damaged by the fact that it has to be jammed into the tight compartment, but at least it will never move inside during flight.

I've been meaning to get this plane from the very beginning, so I am very excited. From my research, I expect this plane to be totally repairable and easy to fly. I will be able to continue learning.

I have been frustrated because the Super Cub lasted only a few days (I want to blame only myself, but the detrimental Anti Crash Technology would cut power to the motor when it seemed like I needed it the most.) And the GWS Slow Stock was NEVER stable. I had told myself that I am forever finished with the slow stick; however, I am feeling like I have some unfinished business with the thing, and I do have an extra set of electronics and radio, so...

Anyway, any advice from anybody who has had a HobbyZone Super Cub? (by HobbyZone, not anything else, of course.) I have NOT taken it out for its maiden flight yet.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 07, 2010, 02:47 PM
Turn off the ACT. Give yourself plenty of room and make very little stick movements. Wait for very little to no wind. Did you fly the corsair yet?
Aug 07, 2010, 02:49 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Everything you ever wanted to know about it.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...zone+super+cub
Aug 07, 2010, 02:52 PM
AMA #953123
Disconnect the ACT. Mine came disabled already when I got it used but you should just have to unplug them. If you cant unplug them cut the wires. That feature is crap and shouldn't even be on the plane.

Make sure that control horns are all installed properly and tight.

Check movement of control surfaces and make sure they are smooth and level when stick is at neutral.

Then take it out and fly it on the next calm evening. I prefer hand launching myself. Give it about 3/4 throttle (yes the motor is supposed to sound that loud) and give it a firm (not hard) level toss in front of you. It should climb nicely with no stick inputs whatsoever.

Good luck!
Aug 07, 2010, 03:15 PM
That Slow Stick isn't something you should give up on yet. You'd be surprised at how much fun, and power you can get out of a stock one
Latest blog entry: Hitec Replacement Gearsets
Aug 07, 2010, 04:55 PM
Yeah, I fly my Slow Stick quite a bit during lunch breaks at work. It's fun to fly in 10mph winds and let it hang in the air. A stringless kite.
Aug 07, 2010, 05:06 PM
AMA #953123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress..
That Slow Stick isn't something you should give up on yet. You'd be surprised at how much fun, and power you can get out of a stock one
We went over this about the SS in his other thread.

He gave up and binned it after it lawn darted in a parking lot.
Aug 07, 2010, 05:27 PM
Just "hanging" Around
Good luck cmerighe ! Let us know how the maiden goes!
Aug 07, 2010, 10:13 PM
Foam flogger
Put packing tape on the leading edge of the wings. Fly. Enjoy.
Aug 07, 2010, 10:51 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lehrscott4
Turn off the ACT. Give yourself plenty of room and make very little stick movements. Wait for very little to no wind. Did you fly the corsair yet?
I gave the corsair with the broken aileron to my friend/coworker. He loves to fix broken planes.

It's been VERY windy today. I have not had the chance to maiden the Super Cub. I checked the balance this morning, at 2.25" from the leading edge, and it looked completely level.

You wouldn't guess what I'm doing at the moment, Saturday, 9:48 PM.... Building another Slow Stick. What the xxx, you probably say to yourself, he hated the slow stick. Yes, but I have a set of electronics that I can use, with a brand-new ESC to replace the slow stick's defective one. If this one starts to roll left like the other one, I'll fix it by working on the motor mount. I'm actually using the stick mount from the Corsair. I gave the corsair to my friend without it.

So I'll have two starter planes. No Corsair for a while!
Aug 07, 2010, 11:21 PM
AMA #953123
Remember the motor need some down and right thrust so it doesn't pull up and to the left. A washer or 2 behind the motor mount should give you the proper thrust angle.
Aug 07, 2010, 11:26 PM
"What the xxx, I said to myself, another Slow Stick?"
In all honesty, I've never flown one, but that's not germaine to this post. As has been mentioned before, do disable that Assured Crash Technology "feature". If you don't hand launch it, and are flying off of grass, you will need a set of larger tires for it. I'm a fan of 3" dia., and a 1'dia. tail wheel. Double check your CG after ANY mods. It's cheap to do, and it will help keep your cub in better shape. All that you could possibly want to know about being a successful beginner pilot and modifying/hotrodding HZ Super cubs is available here on RC Groups. The folks here will help you through just about anything as long as you listen to what they have to say. Good luck!
I see in your future:
Landing gear mods
Battery box mods
Clear packing tape
Ca glues
Lots of fun and learning
Aug 08, 2010, 12:59 AM
The new guy
First two things are disable that damn ACT and if you fly on a paved or rocky runway put packing tape on the leading edge of the wing about 1" from where it starts to bend around the tip of the wing until about 2/3 back. Its a great plane, I had one for quite a while before I gave it to a friend to learn on. It can be a gentle trainer but with the right mods (which are relatively cheap) it can be one sporty little plane. One other thing to be aware of is after you get used to it be careful with the wings. While learning you wont push it much but under high G loads those wings fold all too easy. I had to put carbon fiber rods in mine. Other than that, have fun!
Aug 08, 2010, 08:20 AM
Retired
If you disconnect ACT, you the switch should be active for high / low rates which may be helpful, also get enough speed going on take off and gradually get the plane up into the air. Just one of my mistakes while learning, trying to get off the ground too quickly and not getting enough air under the wings, would tip and end up hitting the dirt! Good luck!
Aug 08, 2010, 09:25 AM
Beware the Axis of Weasel.
Just a thought about your first SS, did you laterally balance it? That's to say, as well as the plane needing to balance at the correct CG it needs to balance from side to side. If one wing is heavier than the other it will pull the plane to that side.

Quick Reply