Dec 28, 2010, 09:30 PM
Firepower
Thanks for the comments. Guess I just need to spend a few minutes and put in the new motor but while the mount has not melted I have not bothered. But I do really want the plane to be reliable under constant power eventually.

It was mentioned modest power a 2213 x ~1000kv but if I want a bit more power - any ideas anyone (or I suppose you say do not be lazy and look at the previous posts.)

There might be something in Galand's comment:
"Upon reflection I wonder if it is not the $14.00 30A ESC that has all the brains rather than the Tx."

I'll have to have a think about that.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 28, 2010, 09:54 PM
Ugly looking plane but at the same time it's interesting
Dec 29, 2010, 01:09 AM
Great Southern Land
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipoflyer
Ugly looking plane but at the same time it's interesting
Ugly?? It's bloody bewdiful mate!

Kev
Dec 29, 2010, 01:14 AM
Great Southern Land
Quote:
Originally Posted by SON OF PALEFACE
just cut a ply disc that will fit behind the plastic mount , break that out...mount the motor to the ply disk and glue it in...once aligned...easy peasy
I think first though cut out a neat section of foam above where the motor goes so you have access. I know you will spoil the finish a bit, but it does make the job a lot easier.

Personally, I think that unless the motor has easy access, all foamies should have a motor access panel.

Kev
Dec 29, 2010, 02:01 AM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
This is a loose facsimile of a vintage glider and the real one is a classic...beautiful and very graceful.........

you don't need to cut out any hatch it can all be done without that butchery...
Dec 29, 2010, 03:00 AM
RC Man Child!
here is a full video review I just finished up. Subscribe and check out my channel for other reviews!
thanks guys,
Reviewing HobbyKing's Minimoa Glider (9 min 42 sec)
Dec 29, 2010, 08:06 AM
Great Southern Land
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdsracer
here is a full video review I just finished up. Subscribe and check out my channel for other reviews!
thanks guys,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS2FhFhho-w
A very professional review!
A lot of helpful info. while enjoying a nice video.

The power you got - 27 amps on the stock set up amazes me. Out here (go RC Groups/Regions/Australia) we usually replace the stock motor first up because it is so tame

Kev
Dec 29, 2010, 03:31 PM
I think you should re-read the thread , The motor gets replaced because it is too small for the stock prop....at 27amps the motor and mount wont last long , nor will the stock speedy....I cant see the vid , it wont play for me

Ok I got it to play...like I said that claim of 27amps is rubbish , the small amout of "Venting" is also rubbish.....the air has to get out ....where???? trim a 1/4" off the prop...........more rubbish

No 20amp speedy is going to handle 27amps....rubbish rubbish garbage.....get real mate
Last edited by SON OF PALEFACE; Dec 29, 2010 at 03:47 PM.
Dec 29, 2010, 06:49 PM
Great Southern Land
Quote:
I think you should re-read the thread , The motor gets replaced because it is too small for the stock prop....at 27amps the motor and mount wont last long , nor will the stock speedy....I cant see the vid , it wont play for me

Ok I got it to play...like I said that claim of 27amps is rubbish , the small amout of "Venting" is also rubbish.....the air has to get out ....where???? trim a 1/4" off the prop...........more rubbish

No 20amp speedy is going to handle 27amps....rubbish rubbish garbage.....get real mate
Mmmm! At least I'm not a beer drinking kangaroo!

Kev
Dec 30, 2010, 01:43 AM
RC Man Child!
wow dude,
lighten up. I'm just saying what I believe to be helpful. And everything I said has merit. Feel free to never watch one of my videos again.

and thank you Berkie.
Dec 30, 2010, 02:40 AM
Quote:
....rubbish rubbish garbage.....get real mate
gee my Minimoa has been flying fine with this set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker
i cut my stock one, it was easy
just measure from each prop tip the same distance with a marker, then i just used a good pair of scissors and cut the ends off, it's soft plastic and cuts easy, then a little rub with some fine sand paper and jobs done

cheers chuck
this for extra cooling

Quote:
i used a 1/8th drill bit for the holes, then used the drill bit as a file to make the holes have that intake angle on them

i used a 4/16th drill bit for the back plate and again used the drill bit like a file to open up the slots on the spinner

cheers chuck

Quote:
Maidened mine today and i'm glad to say it flys beautiful

we went out to the local gliding club and had a breeze of about 8-10kph wind gusting a little every now and then, half throttle and a light toss forward saw her take to the air, a little more throttle and we were on our way up

cut the power at about 150ft and searched out some lift, which was very light, i had flown my Radian before hand and even that had trouble staying up. So after i was at about 50ft i applied throttle again and just took her back up

glided for about 15 minutes and then thought i'd bring her in, lined up and it was hands free as it sunk beautifully to the ground

no heating problem, plenty of power with the cut down prop and it fly's really scale looking, just love the gull wings

i ran a 2450mAh 30C battery that took 277mAh on the charge

looking forward to our next trip out, we are hoping to head to the slope to see how they fly

cheers chuck
then when my Eagle Tree Logger arrived i stuck the minimoa on it

Quote:
Stuck the Eagle Tree Logger in the other day and these were the figures i got, with my mods as described earlier in this thread (starts around page 13 goes to about page 20)

285 watts 25 Amps so seeing as i put a 30a ESC in mine and with the cut down prop, i don't think i should have any troubles at all the first red line is just slowly opening the throttle to half way first a pause then to full throttle only a peak of 210 Watts and 18 amps which is more like i fly and the second high peak red line is full throttle from off which produced the high Watts/amps but as you can see held at full throttle the watts evened out

cheers chuck

i must admit i very rarely use full throttle as i just go straight up cut the motor and search, i love this glider for it's classic style, it's not my go to, that goes to the Radian Pro

cheers chuck
Dec 30, 2010, 03:48 AM
Quote:

You are right, the motor and mount won't last very long at 27 amps. But I have seriously overloaded ESCs and motors on the bench occasionally and they did not instantly burst into flame. I also flew my MiniMoa with the stock motor, ESC and prop for a while and nothing melted. The statement that it will pull 27 amps WOT is not the same as saying you can or should do that all day long.

I do agree that letting air in is only half the battle. I did almost exactly the same thing to my spinner as is seen in the video. I also put some holes in the bottom of the fuse, one right behind the skid and another where the small hole was for the antenna wire. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=582 No problems with heat now. It comes down quite cool. But then I don't run the motor full time either. It only needs the motor to go up, and not always at that.

It seems to me that people were taking more like an inch and a half off each end of the prop to get the current down if they were keeping the stock motor. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=157 Instead of that, I replaced the motor with a Turnigy rated at around twice the power of the stock motor, the ESC with one a good bit larger, and stayed with the stock prop. Works great, either way.

Anyway, I thought it was a great video! It shows how the MiniMoa can fly like no other video I have seen. And it does point out the areas that need to be looked at like cooling and reducing the current. Perhaps a pointer to this thread for the details might be a good idea though.

And I really think that simply labeling everything as rubbish and garbage without offering any better suggestions is, well, just rubbish!
Dec 30, 2010, 04:25 AM
I did ...do a motor swap like mine....and thats NOT rubbish , bike bell 860kv easy ...
too many Richard heads..............not enough bullets
Dec 30, 2010, 09:14 AM
Firepower
With a cut down 9inch prop for some reason I get lower figures like 18amps and 210watts on full throttle and a 3 cell - 2200mah - 40C. I mean lower figures to the others with cut down props.

Mine still runs too hot with constant cruising which I want to do. I have read nothing to say you should not do it with this plane.

I can see how you can give 5 out of 5 for the Minimoa if you have not had it long but reading the problems in this thread it would be hard to give it 5 out of 5. My idea is 5 out of 5 does not mean replacing the motor, cutting down props, venting for motor, replacing speed controllers etc etc etc etc.

I'll give the AXN Floater 5 out of 5 but have only flown it once. I hope I give it the same after 50 flights. Not saying it is in the same wingspan class but it worked out of the box.

http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=8359
Last edited by Firepower; Dec 30, 2010 at 09:35 AM.
Dec 30, 2010, 02:24 PM
RC Man Child!
yeah, i have the axn on the bench right now. I'll have a review up soon on that one. The rating was based on value and with some slight mods it is a great flyer. I like that airframe better than any other epo glider on the market now. But I guess a 4 1/2 star would have been more appropriate. I certainly didn't mean to stir up any drama.

Quick Reply