Apr 19, 2016, 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griphin View Post
Mine is still flying fine and getting admiring comments at the club.

More often flying than another club members Minimoa. That's scratch built though.
That looks nice, I have a 3 meter gliderman unflown but I am worried to fly that in my field.
Latest blog entry: Eachine E160 3d helicopter
to remove ads between posts
Apr 20, 2016, 06:29 AM
Our field is at the end of a certiified runway in the middle of a farm land. Perfect for flying his big gliders. You should bring yours over here mate. Weather is damn near perfect at the moment
Apr 20, 2016, 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griphin View Post
Our field is at the end of a certiified runway in the middle of a farm land. Perfect for flying his big gliders. You should bring yours over here mate. Weather is damn near perfect at the moment
Yes please, I would love to get away from this sxxt UK weather..
Apr 22, 2016, 03:44 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
I watch that program 'Escape to the Country' on TV and wonder how you folk put up with the cold dismal weather we so often see. The ground is always wet and people are wearing jackets and scarves and bundled up.... Not for me. I wear a Tshirt for 10 months of the year and wear a jumper on the cooler days in winter. Probably have 300 flyable days in the year and more if I'm not sooky. LOL
Apr 22, 2016, 04:14 PM
Apparently yes, but i have doubts it could rain THAT much. My bus driver on my line, and talking to the many UK runaways around here say it's terrible, and cold, and they're not going back. My bus driver will wax just about lyrical about how he moved here 30 years ago and it was the best decision he ever made regardless what he has to do to make ends meet.
The Minimoa, which the guy at my club has now sold, is 5.5m with electric self launch system on 12S. Now i know why i don't see it any more. He sold it to fund another big project.
Last edited by Griphin; Apr 22, 2016 at 04:22 PM.
Apr 22, 2016, 05:07 PM
It's grim here for sure,
I wanted to move down under but the wife prefers to play it safe and won't even consider it..
Been walking the dog in wellies for about 7 months now, wet and windy and miserable , maybe flown a handful of times in that time, weather is picking up a bit now, we had 2 whole days of sun and no too much wind so flyable,, to balance the books we now are predicted 7 days of rain and wind...

Moaning about the weather is the only fun I often have to look forward to lol...
Nov 01, 2018, 09:20 PM

Parts from Park Flyers

I just found all of the foam pieces to build this plane at parkflyers.com, canopy included. My intent is to fly it as a pure glider using a winch or slope.

In a few days I will know if the wing joining plastic and metal spar are coming with the wing set. If not, oh well.

All parts total $58.95 and shipping was $12.99 so for $72 the entire airframe is coming to my door. Seems like a cheap way to get this bird. I have lots of servos, control horns and rods. BTW, fiber optic cable, at least the ones being installed here, have a nice fiberglass stiffener just the right size for control rods. They throw this and the kevlar thread away when they open the lines to splice.

Will start with a cg of about 65mm but expect to move it to at least 75mm.
Nov 01, 2018, 10:23 PM
Nice. This is my go-to model for lazy flying and just watching the big gull wings soar is a treat so you should love it as a pure glider. Even the grumpy old buggers at my club approve of it. A member of my states F3A Pattern team got a big glider like it after having a chat on the flightline.
I stuck the wings together with the metal spar and it's stored on a wingtip leaning in the corner of a room NP
Nov 01, 2018, 11:13 PM
Amazing! Well over two years since the last post and you jump on my comment in just over one hour! I think this bird has a fairly strong following, they just aren't talking about it.

Griphin, based on your experience, do you think my chosen cg starting point is a valid one?
Nov 01, 2018, 11:22 PM
It's a lazy Friday afternoon at work here and I just got another coffee and started munching on chocolate. Check my forums

Honestly, I can't remember. It's an old bird and I have it set up and don't have to think when I put a 3S 2200 in the nose. Might have the CG marked on the wings to check occasionally.
Nov 01, 2018, 11:33 PM
In this day of digital everything what exactly does a map librarian do? My father taught cartography back when everything was manual. I grew up with GIS.
Nov 02, 2018, 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcas flier View Post
In this day of digital everything what exactly does a map librarian do? My father taught cartography back when everything was manual. I grew up with GIS.
That depends on the Map Librarian. I'm the Contemporary Map Librarian, Geospatial Resource expert and Rare Maps Librarian. This semester I've lectured on the use of the latest geospatial data and cartography during the 15-16th century in Asia Minor both. And other stuff. Maps are a media not a subject so completely interdisciplinary in every language and culture on earth.
So I do that.
And I have one of my mapping quads in my office

I've never taught cartography but I have some good books on how to draw maps either with a pen or on CAD. I know a few cartographers and they're a bit of an odd bunch of people. Navy navigators are still taught to use paper maps and use a sextant at sea to plot a course. The manual technics still very much live.
Nov 02, 2018, 12:43 AM
Very cool job.
Nov 02, 2018, 08:21 AM
San Diego Wingmasters
I have a new one in the box stored in my garage. Never put it together, as I started flying Radians. Thinking I should buy some spare parts assemble it and fly it.
Nov 02, 2018, 10:15 AM
That sounds like a great plan. I was surprised at the low cost of parts.

If mine does not come with the wing joining parts may I ask you to please take pictures of yours so I can make something that works? I hope to get mine by the middle of next week.

Re: Radians. I have a friend just starting in RC and he has purchased the XL. It was delivered about three months ago. Are there structural considerations or modofications that need to be addressed or was this only an issue with the earliest batch?

Thanks
Ben

Quick Reply