HobbyKing Minimoa 2metre Wingspan - Page 10 - RC Groups
Aug 25, 2010, 09:54 PM
"The motor got so hot that it melted the plastic mount."
This seems to be the second report of melting the motor mounts.
Would it be the general opinion that replacing the motor is advisable?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 25, 2010, 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galand
"The motor got so hot that it melted the plastic mount."
This seems to be the second report of melting the motor mounts.
Would it be the general opinion that replacing the motor is advisable?
to follow up on this question too, would any of these be suitable as a replacement motor, if one was needed?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...less_Outrunner

v (rpm/v) 1100
Weight (g) 57.9
Max Current (A) 14
Resistance (mh) 0
Max Voltage (V) 10
Power(W) 0
Shaft A (mm) 3
Length B (mm) 27
Diameter C (mm) 28
Can Length D (mm) 15
Total Length E (mm) 55

this ones a little heavier too which might help with the COG

or would the ol standard type Turnigy be better?

Kv (rpm/v) 1050
Weight (g) 57.9
Max Current (A) 0
Resistance (mh) 0
Max Voltage (V) 10
Power(W) 0
Shaft A (mm) 3
Length B (mm) 31
Diameter C (mm) 28
Can Length D (mm) 17
Total Length E (mm) 44

cheers chuck
Aug 25, 2010, 11:29 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker
to follow up on this question too, would any of these be suitable as a replacement motor, if one was needed?

v (rpm/v) 1100
Weight (g) 57.9
Max Current (A) 14
Resistance (mh) 0
Max Voltage (V) 10
Power(W) 0
Shaft A (mm) 3
Length B (mm) 27
Diameter C (mm) 28
Can Length D (mm) 15
Total Length E (mm) 55

this ones a little heavier too which might help with the COG

or would the ol standard type Turnigy be better?

Kv (rpm/v) 1050
Weight (g) 57.9
Max Current (A) 0
Resistance (mh) 0
Max Voltage (V) 10
Power(W) 0
Shaft A (mm) 3
Length B (mm) 31
Diameter C (mm) 28
Can Length D (mm) 17
Total Length E (mm) 44

cheers chuck
I tried a similar motor and found that the cross mount would not fit through the cowl .
Aug 25, 2010, 11:44 PM
Firepower
Ordered mine on 19 Aug from hobbyking and arrived today which is not bad.

I have two new 2,200mah 2 cell LiPos Turnigy nano-tech 25-50C. I guess the extra C rating will melt the motor mount. I'll do the modifications to the spinner to let more air in but I have some questions:

1. On the standard setup, I guess the 2,200mah 2 Cell is all right but is anyone using a 2,200mah 3 cell.

2. Do I need to bend up another bar for the rear wing joiner?

3. How does the spinner come off to check things? - It is obvious that you must lift it off with a screw driver but I do not want to force it just in case. It is quite tight.

Thanks - looks like a great glider.
Last edited by Firepower; Aug 25, 2010 at 11:55 PM.
Aug 26, 2010, 01:29 AM
New to RC Flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower
Ordered mine on 19 Aug from hobbyking and arrived today which is not bad.

I have two new 2,200mah 2 cell LiPos Turnigy nano-tech 25-50C. I guess the extra C rating will melt the motor mount. I'll do the modifications to the spinner to let more air in but I have some questions:

1. On the standard setup, I guess the 2,200mah 2 Cell is all right but is anyone using a 2,200mah 3 cell.

2. Do I need to bend up another bar for the rear wing joiner?

3. How does the spinner come off to check things? - It is obvious that you must lift it off with a screw driver but I do not want to force it just in case. It is quite tight.

Thanks - looks like a great glider.
recommended battery size is actually 2200mAh 3S. I am using it. Maybe you can let us know how it goes with 2S since there are heating issues.

2nd wing joiner is optional I guess, everyone here reported getting only 1 in the box.

Can check out those photos where they took apart the spinner.
Aug 26, 2010, 02:00 AM
Firepower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Chen
recommended battery size is actually 2200mAh 3S. I am using it. Maybe you can let us know how it goes with 2S since there are heating issues.

2nd wing joiner is optional I guess, everyone here reported getting only 1 in the box.

Can check out those photos where they took apart the spinner.
I saw the instructions say 9.6NiMH so I thought it would be 2 cell. I'll try the 2 cell but sounds like it will be too slow. I guess that is why it gets too hot people are using the 3 cells.

Thanks I'll check the photos on the spinner.
Last edited by Firepower; Aug 26, 2010 at 08:00 AM.
Aug 26, 2010, 06:33 AM
for anyone looking for a Kit ..... it's back in stock at HK this morning ..... about 50 available ....
Aug 26, 2010, 06:09 PM
Sic transit gloria
For what it's worth, the manual from art tech specifies a 9.6v 2150 battery which weighs roughly 300 g's. My lipo is 160g, I need to approx 140 g for a good cg.
Because of this and the incidences of melting motor mounts I think it's reasonable to say this plane was never designed to run 11.1v lipo.
I'm sure no one here is going to run out and buy a new nicad. But it seems acceptable to go out and buy new motors. Personally, I'm thinking what a pain in the a$$.
I was thinking this was gonna be a great cheap plane to keep in the trunk, easy as 123. I guess you get what you pay for, or maybe I'm a cry baby.
Aug 26, 2010, 07:15 PM
I'm not convinced... a 9.6v NiCd is 8 cell (8 x 1.2 = 9.6). NiCds when fully charged are ~1.4v to 1.45v.

8 x 1.45 = 11.6v is not far from a 3s lipo under load. Those with computer radios could program 80% end point travel on the throttle for good measure.

Anyone measured the amps / watts of the stock motor / prop at WOT ?
Aug 26, 2010, 10:08 PM

Broken C-clip

While doing all the mods listed on the board to prevent over heating issues, I found the c-clip on the rear of the motor was broken. This allowed the bell housing to move forward while in operation. Removal of the motor was very straight forward and a new clip was installed.

The prop nut was just finger tight, be sure to check before you power up.

This c-clip can be viewed through the battery compartment. Mine was broken in two and just laying in the compartment.

Hope to maiden this weekend if the weather holds on with light winds.

Capt.RJM
Aug 27, 2010, 12:12 AM
the two i ordered last Sunday night arrived today, big box with no damage to the box, yet inside one wing tip is completely broken off

this has happened while being packed not in transit

NOT HAPPY JASON!

on a good note it is a clean break and will glue straight back on but not what i'd call good service yet again from Hobby King

the box was huge and had plenty of room in it, this just sucks when you pay $300 to a company and this is the service you get

oh well busy this weekend but i shall start the rebuild and paint of this glider next week

cheers chuck
Aug 27, 2010, 01:24 AM
Can someone please tell me if you have to use "Foam Safe" CA on this stuff or can you use normal CA?

Thanks chuck
Aug 27, 2010, 01:54 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Use tape and vice from bunnings. in case you havent used vise before use about 25% of what you think you need on one half and tape together as is a foaming glue that is both strong and lightweight ,only buy the smallest bottle and seal up straight away after using as it absorbs moisture out of the air and goes off.
Last edited by olmod; Aug 27, 2010 at 02:01 AM.
Aug 27, 2010, 02:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod
Use tape and vice from bunnings. in case you havent used vise before use about 25% of what you think you need on one half and tape together as is a foaming glue that is both strong and lightweight ,only buy the smallest bottle and seal up straight away after using as it absorbs moisture out of the air and goes off.
thanks for your help, just a quick couple of questions having never used this stuff

when you say Tape what sort and do i leave it on or take it off when the glue drys? and if i get excess do i sand it or cut it off?

also is this stuff called "Vice" what our US buddies call gorilla glue?

these wing tips look real delicate i think they will need to be looked after

thanks again for your help Chuck
Aug 27, 2010, 04:24 AM
Clean break, use normal CA. The wing tips are definetely weak on these, but should be easily repairable.

Quick Reply