New Blaster 2 Servo Layout - RC Groups
Aug 06, 2010, 10:42 AM
Question

New Blaster 2 Servo Layout

Would anybody like to share your photos of the electrical layout in the new Blaster 2 edition? I'm particularly interested in your servo, receiver and battery choices as well as your component arrangement.

I bought the latest Blaster 2 at the Toledo Show this spring. There are (minor) changes in the weight and perhaps materials used for construction in a couple of areas but the most significant in terms of the build is the servo layout, which abandons the servos in the wing in favor of installing all four in the nose pod. Also new, is the suggested Shread-RC 650mAh, single cell lipo with a step-up 5 volt regulator. This saves about 12 grams over the 400mAh MiNH battery I have installed in 3 older Blaster 2's built for myself and other people.

I plan on running the rudder and elevator push-rods inside the fuselage as I have on my previous builds. One of them had a push-rod for the elevator and pull/pull for the rudder and that is also a possibility. I have had good luck with the JR DS285 servos for rudder elevator on the three others but at this point I plan to use those on the flaperons and select analog servos for the rudder and elevator. Two digital and two analogs have worked well for me in the past yielding reasonable battery consumption. A friend who went all digital ended up trading two of the digital servos for analog because of considerably shorter battery life between charges. Other things may have been at play there as well but in any case, this is my plan for the moment until I'm persuaded otherwise.

Weight and size are critical for servos in this plane, especially cramming all up front now. The question I'm really focusing on at the moment is what two analog servos? A couple of ideas include: JR's S185 Super High Speed Sub Micro 6 Gram Servo and Hitec's new HS-35HD. Both have similar torque. The Hitec has a lot of hype at the moment. They need to be short in height to make this work.

Finally and not as important but definitely of interest is your view on the boom material for this new version. Two of the 3 year old Blaster 2's have carbon-Kevlar booms. The third I built has an all carbon boom, which appears similar to this new glider. I have heard and read of some people breaking the booms on launch. I'm in my mid-sixties so I think 'fat chance' I can throw that hard even though my launching is fairly respectable...mostly curious.

Incidentally, my 3 year old orange over blue Blaster looks great and I fly the hell out of it but these new neon colors just make me feel happy!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 06, 2010, 01:24 PM
I visited Vladimir in May and photographed this outstanding Blaster2 - by one of Vladimir's employees I think.

Regarding booms, I haven't received any complaints, and I didn't see any booms break in the Wilga Cup DLG event.

Neil.
Aug 07, 2010, 12:47 PM
Thanks Neil, he did a great job of packing 10 lbs of stuff in a 5 lb bag, so to speak. I am amazed at how far forward he located everything. My older Blaster 2 came out on the money with no weight added fore or aft and it has just two servos, battery and receiver in the nose.

I will use lighter equipment but adding two more servos up there. The builder must have used small Diamond 4.7 servos from what I can gather by the placement and how they fit. I was sold the Diamond 60's like what are in the Blaster 2 wing I'm flying. They will be too big for the nose so I will find a home for them elsewhere.

I checked at my LHS yesterday and compared the size of the Hitec HS-45 HB servos to the JR S285's I am using to operate the ailerons. They are very close to the same size so I know they will work and the gears in those are fantastic, so that is the direction I'm leaning.

If anyone else would like to jump in and share photos of their arrangement please do so. When I settle on my layout get it built I will post it here for whoever is interested.

Neil, I'm not especially concerned about the boom. I saw on someone's build thread about proactively reinforcing it. There are so many things that could cause premature failure, like a bad landing or banging it into a wall rushing to the field, to a fluke problem in the lay-up of the carbon. Finally, I am taking the advise of a great sailplane pilot friend of mine who has chided me in the past for building to crash rather than building to fly.
Aug 07, 2010, 06:00 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
It's a train wreck. I have one and I still haven't figured out how to do it with anything except crap (d-47) servos.

I mounted JR285s (3) in the pod to do rudderless and the canopy will not completely close without friction. With all four pushrods coming out in the middle!?!?! of the pod, it's very challenging to say the least.

Now if someone would just make servos with the output shaft in the middle of the servo, instead of on the end...
Aug 08, 2010, 11:05 AM
Has anyone flown both setups - aileron servos in the wing vs in the pod, and noticed a significant difference in handling? That looks like a lot of work. I'm all for trying new setups(it looks very Euro), but I'd be inclined to cut holes in the bottom of the wing for install and do a top drive setup. It would certainly make for less flex in the flaperons.

Good luck on your new plane . Look forward to hearing a flight report soon. Blasters are great planes.

Clay
Aug 08, 2010, 11:46 AM
I have Clay, and there is a difference in how the airplanes signal the air. Honestly the one with servos in the fuse may be a bit TOO reactive.

I almost cut holes in and installed the servos conventionally, but the wing is lacking the doublers for the bay and the horn, so I chose to go as designed.

I get a slight buzz of flutter in the flapperons when launching in high winds on the "fuse servo" airplane. I never flutter the one with servos in the wing.
Aug 08, 2010, 02:09 PM
Where is the lift?
George put servos in a wing that had the horn pads at the root. It flew fine and he had no issues with the horns installed away from the pads. That was the green one that he flew at the SWC this year.

This is just my opinion but I feel I need the stronger servos so I personally would install the flaperon servos in the wing but that is not for everyone. The nice thing is you can do your install either way and take advantage which one gives you the benefits you think are more suited to your flying style...

Charlie
Aug 08, 2010, 07:31 PM
One of a couple arrangements I came up that will work use the Diamond 60's in the pod coupled with two Hitec HS45-HD analog or digital for the elevator and rudder...but it is tight. I wish the push rod sleeves didn't come epoxied at the end of the boom in the pod. It would be nice to have the flexibility to position them where I want. One separated where it was epoxied and that makes it easier to slip components around. Before I try putting a blade to cut loose I want to settle on a plan.
Aug 08, 2010, 07:53 PM
I screwed up and inadvertently posted the last thread while I was trying to edit it...sorry about the last sentence. The arrangement I like the best would use two analog Hitec HS45-HD servos and two digital HS45-HD. All four will fit very comfortably with no canopy interference. These servos are tough. The gears are huge and have worked very well for me on slope gliders. Whether they have enough torque is another matter. I think so but Tom's comment about the buzz on his launch makes me nervous.

I admit I have thought about putting the servos in the wing but the new hard point placement for the horns and a tenacious attitude are keeping me on track. It would really be great if the designer would put up a photo from a final flying prototype so we would have a beginning point. On the other hand it is kind of fun working the solution out...although a mistake can be expensive.
Aug 08, 2010, 08:18 PM
I think my slight buzzing is due to pushrod flex since it's largely unsupported. Unless you throw very hard, just make sure your linkages are tight and you'll probably be fine.
Aug 13, 2010, 11:12 AM

Going Once, Going Twice

Here is my clean slate before I begin cramming equipment into the pod. Are there really no more photos from anyone on their set-up with this latest Blaster 2? If not I will post a build thread on mine with the equipment I've settled on using (I think). It will be about a week. I first need to cover a Ridge Runner I built for a friend.

Name: Top Pod Clean Canvas.jpg
Views: 496
Size: 34.0 KB
Description:

Name: Bottom Pod Clean Canvas.jpg
Views: 389
Size: 33.5 KB
Description:

Name: Pod and Exit Sleeves.jpg
Views: 432
Size: 34.8 KB
Description:
Aug 13, 2010, 05:15 PM
Here are a couple of mine. I'll have to dig it out of the box to do final "as built" pics. I did a couple of wire bends that I don't like to make it all fit, but everything seems okay.

Flapperons flutter a bit on hard launches in wind but those rods are straight .030 steel... go figure.
Aug 13, 2010, 05:40 PM
Stangely Spinning in a Circle
I'll post pics of my blaster's pod later tonight if you'd like. I have two hs-45s for the rudder/elevator. I couldn't fit anything else in there.
Aug 13, 2010, 05:49 PM
Guz
Guz
Gutless wonder
Wow. That's really messed up. I liked the old design better.