This thread is privately moderated by hoppy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 31, 2020, 09:05 AM
Space Coast USA
Thread OP
It works nicely.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 11, 2020, 12:07 AM
hm! No post since end of January!
Has Covid-19 "terminated" all LiPo failures?

Any charged battery/source of energy may cause "mayhem"
being handled careless!
Jul 11, 2020, 01:31 AM
Aspiring 3D pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by iStunterG
Hello!
What about Turnigy Quad 4x6S charger?
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/quad-4x6...html?wrh_pdp=7
I initially balked at the price, but I am glad I purchased the Quad Kore; it provides me with a no waiting charging system when at the flying site.
The fans could be better quality, one of them is now noisy.
Jul 11, 2020, 01:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBuld
Bad ball bearings? (Not uncommon after CN took most of the market).

Got a cheap quad charger with fan problems too, but it works!
No problem since I only use LiPo batteries in range 500mah - 850mah
and charge them at 3C max.
Jul 11, 2020, 05:20 AM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBuld
I initially balked at the price, but I am glad I purchased the Quad Kore; it provides me with a no waiting charging system when at the flying site.
I have one charger that is noisy ..... if I put a sliver under one corner to tilt it sightly - it goes quiet !! I have a computer same !!
Jul 11, 2020, 05:44 AM
Out Standing In The Field
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOEY
hm! No post since end of January!
Has Covid-19 "terminated" all LiPo failures?

Any charged battery/source of energy may cause "mayhem"
being handled careless!
My "new season" battery failures were all "quiet".
Several (3) came out of storage then showed low capacity performance (immediate sag after launch).
I drained, trashed and replaced them with no drama.
Jul 11, 2020, 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexGalore
My "new season" battery failures were all "quiet".
Several (3) came out of storage then showed low capacity performance (immediate sag after launch).
I drained, trashed and replaced them with no drama.
I've developed a sequential 'demise' system for my LiPo's .....

As they age and power output levels decline - I relegate to lower demand models ... as they decline further - they slip down the model list ...

Once they are done with models ... I then look at other uses ..... Transmitters are good place as the power demand is low and even a really bad LiPo will work fine.
Example ... I have a 9x radio that has a 3S 800 LiPo in it that couldn't pull skin of a pudding let alone power a model ... even my 300gr Mig15 profile flopped on it ... But the 9x happily chunters on for hours on it ...

Other uses are flashlights ... clip a BEC to it and power up various USB stuff .... even as second battery back up as in my Soloshot cameras ...

Until they really puff up and actually die .......... there are many uses for bad LiPo's including bench test use ..instead of dragging out good LiPo's.
Jul 11, 2020, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife
I've developed a sequential 'demise' system for my LiPo's .....

As they age and power output levels decline - I relegate to lower demand models ... as they decline further - they slip down the model list ...

Once they are done with models ... I then look at other uses ..... Transmitters are good place as the power demand is low and even a really bad LiPo will work fine.
Example ... I have a 9x radio that has a 3S 800 LiPo in it that couldn't pull skin of a pudding let alone power a model ... even my 300gr Mig15 profile flopped on it ... But the 9x happily chunters on for hours on it ...

Other uses are flashlights ... clip a BEC to it and power up various USB stuff .... even as second battery back up as in my Soloshot cameras ...

Until they really puff up and actually die .......... there are many uses for bad LiPo's including bench test use ..instead of dragging out good LiPo's.
I do much the same. I adapted a 12 volt battery drill/driver to use 3S 1200 batteries, and it works very well (the Mabuchi-style motor draws next to nothing, even under max load).

This batch was tending toward excessively puffy, so out they went.
Jul 11, 2020, 02:53 PM
I've started to open up packs ..... I have a number of items that use single cells .. so when I find a pack fails on one cell .... strip back all the covering and look at separating the cells but keeping the balance solder pads in place ... that way I can then solder leads to use the good cells.

I know a guy who actually splits and joins cells to create new flight packs ... but that's a bit OTT for me ...
Jul 11, 2020, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife
I've started to open up packs ..... I have a number of items that use single cells .. so when I find a pack fails on one cell .... strip back all the covering and look at separating the cells but keeping the balance solder pads in place ... that way I can then solder leads to use the good cells.

I know a guy who actually splits and joins cells to create new flight packs ... but that's a bit OTT for me ...
Changing battery connectors is exciting enough for me!
Trying to join up cells would be like juggling nitroglycerin to me!
Jul 12, 2020, 03:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexGalore
Changing battery connectors is exciting enough for me!
Trying to join up cells would be like juggling nitroglycerin to me!
I don't join cells ..... that's his field. But as long as you have kept the solder part intact ... then really its no big deal. The problem comes when it breaks away from the 'welded' contact of the 'pouch' ... then its a bin job !!

I have loads of old LiPo's where there are good cells ... seems shame to waste them ...

There is one problem area though ... various Turnigy packs have a small board across the welded terminals to carry the solder points. This means careful cutting of the board across to separate the cells but keeping a strip along each cell with the solder point.

Here's a few photos to show ... Turnigy 1300 3S Blue :
Jul 13, 2020, 09:14 AM
Can't see any problem joining cells as long as they are comparable and the soldering is done properly.
(Edit: Insulation must be done properly too!)

I've done so several times and my soldering is at best average ...

But there are other options too. E.g. You got a 4S pack that got one cell failing
convert it to 3S (Replace balance plug).

To e.g. make a 6S pack, take 2 x 3S , make a serial adapter plug. You may even use 4S + 2S same adapter.

BUT! The weakest cell/pack will fail sooner or later it's just a matter of time and abuse.

Quick Reply