This thread is privately moderated by kinderkram, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 13, 2010, 07:18 AM
Flying at Sochi 2014 Olympics
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderkram
Thx for the hint, Bob. Fortunately lipoly.de had 1 left in store so I could reserve it immediately. They apologized and sent a complete adapter in only 2 days including a small bag of fruit gums. That soothed my anger.
yep, that's more like them
to remove ads between posts
Aug 13, 2010, 08:53 PM
Clyde, Ca. USA
I need some help.
I loaded the drivers OK
3. - go to -> File -> Preferences and set the location for your sketches. Choose the folder that resides above the "ArduCopter-firmware" folder
What does this mean? the folder above the "Arducopter-firmware" folder ?
Here is a copy of what my menu looks like.
Is this asking for the ARDUINO folder?

What are sketches? Where are they?
Thank you.
John
Last edited by john339; Aug 13, 2010 at 09:08 PM.
Aug 14, 2010, 04:41 AM
OS Sponsor
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by john339
I need some help.
I loaded the drivers OK
3. - go to -> File -> Preferences and set the location for your sketches. Choose the folder that resides above the "ArduCopter-firmware" folder
What does this mean? the folder above the "Arducopter-firmware" folder ?
Here is a copy of what my menu looks like.
Is this asking for the ARDUINO folder?

What are sketches? Where are they?
Thank you.
John
Hi John,
Yes: you named the main folder "Arduino". Take this one for the path. You'll see "ArduCopter" when you choose files -> sketchbook from the arduino-0018.exe.

The sketches are the files that will be compiled for uploading to the board. You have a folder "Arducopter-firmware" which contains these files (arducopter.pde ...)

Hope to see your ArCo airborne soon! Have a nice weekend.

P.S.: If you get any error messages in the status windows of the arduino, then please post them here. The sketch is pre-configured to use X-mode btw.

Norbert
Aug 14, 2010, 10:29 AM
Clyde, Ca. USA
X mode is what I want so thats great.
I followed your info and I do see arducopter in the menu now.
Thank you for the help.
I'll trek on into the unknown and if I run into more probems I will call for help.
Thank you.
John
Aug 14, 2010, 10:59 AM
Clyde, Ca. USA
I tried to - go to -> File -> Sketchbook -> ArduCopter
- click on the "Upload"-button. Then the arduino software compiles the firmware and uploads it afterwards. You should get the message "Done Uploading"
When I picked arducopter it opened another arduino menu like the first one but filled with text..
I clicked the upload button and it failed.
I received this message.
25: error: UserSettings.h: No such file or directory
I am guessing my files are not where they should be but I don't know what to do to fix this problem.
Again, thank you for any help.
John
Here is a picture of the message.
Aug 14, 2010, 12:06 PM

Build

I would love to try to build one of these but i do not think i would be able to im thinking it is way over my head the build it self im sure i can do its just when you get in to the programming of the soft ware is what really scares me and i do not know any one that is good at programming so what would be my options with this build
Aug 14, 2010, 12:06 PM
OS Sponsor
Thread OP
Quote:
I tried to - go to -> File -> Sketchbook -> ArduCopter
- click on the "Upload"-button. Then the arduino software compiles the firmware and uploads it afterwards. You should get the message "Done Uploading"
When I picked arducopter it opened another arduino menu like the first one but filled with text..
I clicked the upload button and it failed.
I received this message.
25: error: UserSettings.h: No such file or directory
I am guessing my files are not where they should be but I don't know what to do to fix this problem.
Again, thank you for any help.
John
Here is a picture of the message.
Looks like there are not all files are in place.

Ok ... move the arducopter-firmware to a temporary folder (just to get it out of the way. The download this file, unpack it and place the ArduCopter folder in your ARDUINO folder:
http://www.board-portal.de/Arducopter.zip

Try arduino-0018.exe again and choose Arducopter from the sketches.
You should see an new window with 6 tabs, corresponding with the 6 files in the Arducopter folder.

If it still doesn't work, tell me!

P.S.: screenshots are always best to express your trouble.
Aug 14, 2010, 12:09 PM
OS Sponsor
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom6696950
I would love to try to build one of these but i do not think i would be able to im thinking it is way over my head the build it self im sure i can do its just when you get in to the programming of the soft ware is what really scares me and i do not know any one that is good at programming so what would be my options with this build
There's no real "programming" involved, Tom. If everything is set up correctly (and my setup already worked for several other users) it's only a bit installing and uploading that's done by a few clicks. That's all.
Aug 14, 2010, 01:03 PM
Clyde, Ca. USA
I installed the configurator and started the program.
Here is the screen capture.
I see it says com 2 far to the right side.
I am using com 4
I cannot change to com 4 because the error message will not go away.
Help again.
John
Last edited by john339; Aug 14, 2010 at 01:04 PM. Reason: forgot picture
Aug 14, 2010, 01:29 PM
OS Sponsor
Thread OP
Quote:
I installed the configurator and started the program.
Here is the screen capture.
I see it says com 2 far to the right side.
I am using com 4
I cannot change to com 4 because the error message will not go away.
Help again.
John
Never seen that error message before.

There must be something wrong with the installation of the configurator.

Did you follow these instructions for the port settings:
http://code.google.com/p/ardupilot-m...ki/Programming

Maybe you should uninstall the configurator and try again. Are there any messages during installation?
I'll delete all my previous setup on my PC and start from scratch tonight. And hopefully I'll find out where the error message comes from...

Sorry to say, but: "Please have patience."
Your my "best customer" and I don't wanna lose you!

Atm. I'm busy updating the arducopter wiki http://code.google.com/p/arducopter simultaneously building a new frame, test flying the new alpha v1.3 and fiddeling with the gps position hold and such...
Aug 14, 2010, 01:52 PM
Re-Kitting Expert :o
tom6696950,

You could look for someone who is comfortable doing what needs to be done and offer them a little $ or buy some of the parts so they can build 2, one for each.

FYI, I used to build glow powered models for the locals and it was customary to charge the price of the kit for the build, twenty five to thirty five dollars for electronics install, and then a bit more for any special work done.

kinderkram,
Thank you for the great thread. I have been following since the first post. I have a 330X-s Sitting in the box waiting for me to finish up my summer job. I would like to give the Ardu a try if I enjoy the 330 as much as I anticipate I will.
Aug 14, 2010, 05:00 PM
OS Sponsor
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaBob
kinderkram,
Thank you for the great thread. I have been following since the first post. I have a 330X-s Sitting in the box waiting for me to finish up my summer job. I would like to give the Ardu a try if I enjoy the 330 as much as I anticipate I will.
Hi GorillaBob. Welcome to the club!

As soon as you got the 330x airborne and have it flown for a while, you'll eagerly want more, promised!

That's how I fell into the ArduTrap. Once in there you won't get out easily!

@ John: couldn't verify that error. I contacted Ted (the developer of the configurator) and asked him for support. Dunno when I'll be able to come up with a solution...
Aug 14, 2010, 06:01 PM
Clyde, Ca. USA
OK I reinstalled the program again.
Still the same. Since I can see it says com 2 at the right side, I went back and used com 2 for the port.
Still the same response.
I will try some different things and see if I can get it to work.
Maybe I am missing something in my computer software.
I will install it on my laptop, Windows XP and see if it works there.
Should the Arduino brain be connected when I start the configuration program?
I have the brain connected but I don't have the ESC's or motors or receiver connected. Will that cause the problem?
Last edited by john339; Aug 14, 2010 at 06:38 PM.
Aug 15, 2010, 01:53 AM
OS Sponsor
Thread OP
Quote:
OK I reinstalled the program again.
Still the same. Since I can see it says com 2 at the right side, I went back and used com 2 for the port.
Still the same response.
I will try some different things and see if I can get it to work.
Maybe I am missing something in my computer software.
I will install it on my laptop, Windows XP and see if it works there.
Should the Arduino brain be connected when I start the configuration program?
I have the brain connected but I don't have the ESC's or motors or receiver connected. Will that cause the problem?
No, you MUST NOT connect the escs/motors when you use the usb. (Please read the warnings).
The configurator just starts without connecting at first. You'll have to click on "Connect" after you set the values.
But you do have an installation problem. The configurator doesn't start properly. This error message has nothing to do with the previous port settings.
Aug 15, 2010, 10:48 AM
Clyde, Ca. USA
OK I will put the software in the laptop and see what happens there.
I can start the configurator and later plug in the brain?
Then initialize EEPROM then disconnect?

The configurator installed OK to the laptop.
I even did the EEPROM initialization.
As I understand it so far, I can connect the receiver to the brain and the ESC's and motors.
Do not use a battery just plug into the USB port to use the configurator?
Last edited by john339; Aug 15, 2010 at 02:30 PM.

Quick Reply