Would not miss it for the world Lee!
to remove ads between posts
May 16, 2019, 10:29 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA

Fishing Boat Regattta CANCELLED due to Weather

CANCELLATION NOTICE:
Fishing Boat Regatta, Sat., May 18
Weather

The last couple of days here in San Francisco have been wind driven gully washers! Even without the rain, the wind would have made conditions on The Lake nearly untenable. The weather services are predicting that these condition will persist through both Saturday and Sunday, Due to historical scant attendance of any events held over the Memorial Day holidays, it was decided, in consultation between the Commodore, the PowRon's XO, and myself, to cancel the event for this year. Sorry guys, the Weather Gods have dumped!

Latest blog entry: Ah, To be young again...
May 17, 2019, 10:56 AM
Mmm, tugs...
And I thought it was my fault, dragging Michigan weather out here...
May 20, 2019, 07:39 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350
And I thought it was my fault, dragging Michigan weather out here...
LOL - Pat, you will only get blamed if we start gettin' Uppa lake effect offa Spreckels during the winter.

ps. Notice you've moved someplace a bit warmer during winter.... welcome back to Cali. - Might we be seeing you for TugFest on the 21st of July?
Latest blog entry: Ah, To be young again...
Jun 15, 2019, 01:42 PM

TugFest Regatta

We are 6 weeks approx out from TugFest July 21 0930 hrs. Golden Gate Park 36th and JFK Drive. Am posting the charts so you can practise a bit. Backing is part of this years course.
Jun 25, 2019, 05:27 PM
Just a bump to remind everyone of TugFest on July 21.
Jul 06, 2019, 08:46 AM

Sinking of the Atlantic

Last week I was running my Atlantic tug on the North side of the lake. The south side was plastered with Goose crap. This time I had two Gopro cameras on board. A little top heavy. Got a gust of wind and over she went. Tried doing a rescue with my Springer, but couldn't move the Atlantic. Finally I saw the nose go under. Talked to Gerry the next evening and he wanted to try to find the boat. I rowed and Gerry poled the bottom. Coming back to the club house Bob yelled out that one of the Park Workers found the bound bopping at the East end. My many thanks to the Park Worker, Bob, and especially Gerry for helping me out. In the video you can here the springer motor coming up to the Atlantic.

Sinking of the Atlantic Tug (3 min 18 sec)
Jul 06, 2019, 01:18 PM
Graphic footage !

Well captured, so sorry to see the sinking so close up ~

Jul 06, 2019, 01:48 PM
I am glad you got your tug back safely.

I know that CaptLee and others, are doing the same thing with their GoPro cameras, AND, others have sunk, or come close to sinking boats. My suggestion, and I have already told Lee this, would be to put your camera on a deck barge, and then just safely push it with your tug. I have had guys barrow my 14'' x 48'' self ballasting deck barge to put their cameras on. At 65 lbs. in the water, it does not care about any wind, and they tell me it makes for a pretty stable platform.

CB
Jul 06, 2019, 02:14 PM
The two cameras on an Atlantic was the problem, unless properly ballasted she is a bit tender. As for the camera mounts on a barge that works(got mine setup to rotate camera) but have setups for the tug as it is a bit handier to setup. Am running on a Southampton and she appears to have little problem with tenderness, but get cautious when the wind comes up. Have found out that cameras are somewhat of a 1 trick pony but the viewers seem to like it. Need to edit as you capture way too much stuff and it gets boring on the TV.
Jul 06, 2019, 05:30 PM

Right again

You guys are absolutely right! I'm saying this in a very low voice. One Gopro on top was pushing it and two was too much.
I have two barges one being 48 inches which the Gopro will be moving to. This is the second time that the club has helped me retrieve my boats.
The first time I lost a GoPro on an airboat using 5 min epoxy. Capt Lee said that epoxy only lasts for 5 mins. Bernard found the boat with a net and club skiff. This time Gerry helped me search. Bob caught us and said the Park workers found it.

I don't if lightning hits twice, but I think I'm starting to be pushing my luck with the GoPro. Does lighting hit 3 times? I'm either very lucky or fortunate to have associated with a great group of guys!

Thanks again
Today, 01:06 PM
Just put the barges in the truck for Sunday. come out to spectate or run in the TugFest Sunday 0930hrs. the Lake will be busy as the Sailboats have things happening, lot's of LookieLoo's would be welcomed.

Quick Reply