Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
...a nice warm Coors Light for you!
Eew, yuck!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 14, 2010, 10:09 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
Kmot...

In answer to your question about Cameras...

I shoot NIkon D200s, but in many ways it IS NOT the camera! (No! No BS about about ya gotta have an eye here... Having a technically well made, good camera is part of the equation that yealds good to superior photos, especially now with digital. (There is a real reason why people pay so damned much for Leicas.)

The camera catches and fixes the images before dumping the images into a memory/storage system be it chemical (silver halide emulsion) or digital, but the camera box does not form the image; that is done by the lens. The lenses I've been using to create the images I've been posting here are all Nikon and are as follows...

24-120mm f/1:3.5-f/1:5.6 ED D "Streetsweeper"
80-200m f/1:2.8 IF ED D lens (Just about everything I've posted before late September '10 in including "Steam-Up '10," "2009 West Coast Sub Run" etc.)

200mm f/1:2 ED IF G VR
The Nikon "Chubby" or "Super Chub" (Wednesday Night Ops!)
300mm f/1:2.8 ED IF D (rental a couple of weeks ago) used for September 11 the X-Class Free Sail race, Sunday, 9/12 Power Run Part 1, Part 2 and the Santa Barbara race.

200-400mm f/1:4 ED IF G VR
- Shot the Navigator and a fair amount of the Fleet Week Airshow pics, except the Hyde St. Pier shots which where the 200mm f/2.

VSPEED, as you will have seen above with both the models and airshow shots, shoots some very, very nice stuff as well. Part of the reason is he also uses the Nikon 80-200 f/1:2.8 IF ED as well.

The lens' combination of long focal length and constant, low f/stop (f/1:2.8) in this lens are really critical to doing models well since the lens does near-MACRO as well. (Who cares if it's true macro or not as long as it gets "that close" and still focuses sharp as a tack as this lens does!) It is one of the two lenses that I view as an ABSOLUTE MUST HAVE if you want to take your visuals to the next level.

Update: Spring 2011
While I still use a D200 occasionally, I have up graded to a D300.
More mega-pixels; 12.3 on a DX sensor. Shooting exclusively Nikon RAW Format (nef) files.
Better light sensitivity, better dynamic range (yippeee!) and a bit more accurate auto-focus system, but still not as accurate as I would like; critical focus is off sometimes, but this is an endemic issue with AF cameras. (I know, I know I'm a fussy SOB...)

Waiting to see what the next generation of Nikon DSLRs brings after the D700s...
Last edited by craig_c; Aug 11, 2011 at 04:00 PM.
Oct 15, 2010, 12:36 AM
Grumpa Tom
Yeah, I sort of thought that was the type of equipment you were using. It comes across, even with internet uploads. Nice GLA$$.
Oct 15, 2010, 12:55 AM
Quote:
It comes across, even with internet uploads.
Which is exactly why I shoot it. Sub-par glass shows itself far too readily especially to digital sensors!
Last edited by craig_c; Oct 15, 2010 at 01:09 AM.
Oct 15, 2010, 01:30 AM
That night run was a blast. Thanks for inviting me. Next time I'll make sure my transmitter battery is fully charged. Craig, those night shots look great.

About those 2 F16's in post #208, I didnt know they were armed until i saw the pics. I've never seen armed aircraft participate in an airshow. The last time I saw a similar weapons load out like that was during the SF hosted All Star Game when the F16's provided security for the " national security event"
Oct 15, 2010, 01:35 AM
USA'd ex Brit
Quote:
Yeah, come on Toes! I'll have a nice warm Coors Light for you!
Thanks for the offer, but the Toesup Boat Werks (and aircraft manufacturing facility) have a prior engagement with a bunch of pirates and some strong liquor .. such as rum and malt whiskey.

"Nice warm coors light".. phhhhhhhtttttttt..
Oct 15, 2010, 02:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vspeeds
That night run was a blast. Thanks for inviting me. Next time I'll make sure my transmitter battery is fully charged.
It was a blast wasn't it... My first time too. Sure won't be my last.

Quote:
Craig, those night shots look great.
Thanks, but There a coupla' things I want to improve... time for some duct tape and soldering irons... Bawahahahahaa!!!

Quote:
About those 2 F16's in post #208, I didnt know they were armed until i saw the pics. I've never seen armed aircraft participate in an airshow. The last time I saw a similar weapons load out like that was during the SF hosted All Star Game when the F16's provided security for the " national security event"
Yeah, I was kinda shocked as well, When I was processing that image through Photoshop, I really stopped and did a "Holy Crap!" triple take!

First it was Damn! They've got munitions on their hardpoints...
Then a bit more tweaking and "Damn! Are those AIM-9s!??!" then the big one, "They're painted white!! What the hell? Warshots????"

The loads on the inner hardpoints are external ranks, right?
Last edited by craig_c; Oct 15, 2010 at 03:14 AM.
Oct 15, 2010, 03:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toesup
have a prior engagement
Awwwww
Latest blog entry: Ah, To be young again...
Oct 15, 2010, 10:11 AM
WooHoo!
Had a buddy that used to have that 300mm mounted to a D90. Amazing chunk of glass.
Oct 15, 2010, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c
It was a blast wasn't it...

Yeah, I was kinda shocked as well, When I was processing that image through Photoshop, I really stopped and did a "Holy Crap!" triple take!

First it was Damn! They've got munitions on their hardpoints...
Then a bit more tweaking and "Damn! Are those AIM-9s!??!" then the big one, "They're painted white!! What the hell? Warshots????"

The loads on the inner hardpoints are external ranks, right?
Those do look like air to air missiles and maybe some kind of electronic stores under the fuselage. Those big things are usually personal belonging pods but in pairs like that they could very well be external fuel tanks...but i'm no pro.
Oct 17, 2010, 11:46 PM

"night run"

Hello Craig,

Behalf of the "irregulars"....... Wanted to thank you a Million for taking some
great shots!! Very nice Indeed!

Thanks mucho.
Julio.
Oct 18, 2010, 10:37 AM
Watching weather forecast and it looks like a good size storm will be coming in this weekend.....what happens to WBOP if it does?
Oct 18, 2010, 01:14 PM
Discussions are ongoing this week, Final Go/No Go on Friday, Oct.22. Include in discussions is to cancel or move back a week. As a forecaster I suck so will just have to wait till Friday and see what the wheels decide.
Oct 18, 2010, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptLee
Discussions are ongoing this week, Final Go/No Go on Friday, Oct.22. Include in discussions is to cancel or move back a week. As a forecaster I suck so will just have to wait till Friday and see what the wheels decide.
Well I hope it pulls threw, Theres no way this could happen the next sunday, I am going to be out of town plus its halloween, that will be crazy
Oct 18, 2010, 04:01 PM
Grumpa Tom

Quick Reply