Oct 02, 2010, 11:19 PM
jim shipley

Wooden regatta

Dave looking forward to going with you.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 02, 2010, 11:30 PM
Looking forward going to the show with you also Jim. Will have 3 wooden race boats there along with my tug. Blazer Marine Lauterbach(under construction), Ivan Bourdier Cracker Box(hopefully completed) and my Ivan Bourdier Project Y race Mono. All wood....
Last edited by gtopillado; Oct 03, 2010 at 02:38 PM.
Oct 03, 2010, 02:23 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtopillado
Looking forward to and going to show with you Jim. Will have 3 wooden race boats there along with my tug. Blazer Marine Lauterbach(under construction), Ivan Bourdier Cracker Box(hopefully completed) and my Ivan Bourdier Project Y race Mono. All wood....
OOOooo Cool! Lookin' forward to seeing your boats!!! And takin a few pics

See you at Wooden Boats on Parade
Latest blog entry: Ah, To be young again...
Oct 03, 2010, 11:19 AM
Sunday morning - Rain!

Hopefully it'll rain this weekend and clear up for the Swap Meet next Saturday and the Fishing Boat Fun Run on Sunday!

And....

It's also FLEET WEEK which means that besides all the cute and funny looking gray boats in port, our peace, quiet and serene serenity will be broken by the low altitude antics of the Blue Angels. WAY COOOOOOL!!!! Gonna' really have an opportunity to shake-down that lens this week WaHoo!

If I getz some good shots, anyone want me to post 'em even though F-18s defiantly don't float and are off-topic??
Last edited by craig_c; Oct 03, 2010 at 04:23 PM.
Oct 03, 2010, 11:35 AM
Posting has got my vote.
Oct 03, 2010, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c
Sunday morning - Rain!
Hopefully it'll rain this weekend and clear up for the Swap Meet next Saturday and the Fishing Boat Fun Run on Sunday!
Positive vibes! if it does rain, I'll just bring a rain coat! boats are meant to get wet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtopillado
Posting has got my vote.
I vote yes too!
Oct 03, 2010, 11:53 AM
Grumpa Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c
If I getz some good shots, anyone want me to post 'em even though F-14s defiantly don't float and are off-topic??
Post 'em!

Many, many years ago Holly and I were up in the area and stopped at an overlook of the GG bridge and out of nowhere a bunch of F-18's started doing a show just for us!
Oct 03, 2010, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
... and out of nowhere a bunch of F-18's started doing a show just for us!
OOOooo, great shot! - Thatz them... That might have been the year they went under The Bridge on the final day of the show. What a stink that caused, the local pols all went ballistic and the FAA had more kittens than Lolkatz, be we all loved it! heheheee Man, you and Holly sure had a show!

And you're right Kmot, F-18s! That aught to teach me not to post when I'm that tired... but, of course, it won't LOL!! Thanks for sharing that shot.
Last edited by craig_c; Oct 03, 2010 at 04:24 PM.
Oct 03, 2010, 04:24 PM
I'd pretty much do anything to fly an F-18. I vote for posting the pics.
Oct 04, 2010, 07:10 AM
Age quod agis
Blue Angels Solo: 3 Days - 3 Sneak Passes (0 min 41 sec)
Oct 08, 2010, 02:46 AM
Well today was a buggered up day! Gonna shoot the Blue Angels, Right? 'Course right!

The daughter had a conference at high school with a college councilor and needed Dad there just about that time! LOL... the things we do for offspring! So there I sat with three major pieces of glass (lenses) listening to the jets roar in the distance. The closest I could get was Shot #1. LOL

Anyway, she and the counselor finish up, we boogie for the truck and rush cross town and arrive just in time to see the Angels take the final turn back down to Moffeet Field in the South Bay.... ARRRGH!

Anyway... Got a few shots of other things... "Fat Albert," the Blue Angels' Marine C-130T logistical support (and performing) aircraft was getting his practice in, along with an F-18 in air-superiority colors. One of Larry Ellison's Cisco aerobatic team (The little red plane in the last shot of the next post) was doing some filming passes, you can make out the camera crew in the open shooting door of the twin engined camera plane... wonder if they saw "Bert" coming up from behind and below like a shark. (The actually had a lot more V-sep than the picture looks like.) The shot they were taking for publicity is here.

Anyway, I'll try to get out there tomorrow and get some more frames. I won't be able to shoot Saturday and Sunday, of course, is the Fishing Boat Fun-Run at Spreckels Lake... See some of you there on Sunday.

Shot #2 is a private gripe I'd like to share... see if'n it sticks to the walls or something. <mini rant warning>

As you can see, it is a fenced off area, they are setting up chairs for the wealthy, the pols and the connected. It's being done by a private company that runs the airshow (Fleet Week has been sub-contracted out).

The Marina Green is closed to traffic, all the parking is going to be "reserved," according to the federal cop on site.

Sure on Saturday and Sunday, the commoners can hang out on the grass and bring their humble lunches and look at the recruiting exhibits, but the elites will fête behind their fences and barricades and police lines of cops on overtime. All of this on public land, on common ground supposedly for everyones' enjoyment and use. Guess some are, like the pigs in Animal Farm, becoming a bit more equal than others.

Once upon a time, America was the land were all were created equal and were supposed to be treated equal. The founding fathers believed in at least partial leveling and feared the rise of elite classes and the super-wealthy. (Remember, while propertied, none of the Founders or Framers were truly wealthy and the Revolutionary Army were mainly what Europeans (and some Americans as well) disdainfully sniffed at as the unwashed "peasant rabble." There were no American millionaires (in equivalent dollars) until the late 1790s.) What are we allowing to happen in this country?

<rant off>
and if you wanna discuss... lets take it to politics.
Last edited by craig_c; Apr 12, 2011 at 09:54 PM.
Oct 08, 2010, 03:05 AM

Fleet Week rehersal, Thursday, 10/07, from the Marina Green seawall

Last edited by craig_c; Apr 12, 2011 at 09:57 PM.
Oct 08, 2010, 03:22 AM
Craig,
Cool pics. Hopefully the weather is good so you could catch em this weekend.
I was fortunate enough to see the whole show today. That grey f18 had an emergency during his show and had to fly back to SFO and he requested the "equipment" (Crash Trucks). I followed up and found out he landed safely.
Oct 08, 2010, 03:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vspeeds
I followed up and found out he landed safely.
It's good to know they're OK... Thanks for the heads-up Hey V - You didn't have your camera with you did you? If you did - how about you post a few too!!!
Latest blog entry: Ah, To be young again...
Oct 08, 2010, 04:25 AM
I wish I had my camera. The #7 and #4 planes flew right over me in some really good angles!
I'll try and make it to the lake on Sunday.not sure though

Quick Reply