Jun 11, 2016, 08:27 PM
boat butcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPL.FUZZ View Post
Greetings all, I'm wondering if anyone remembers this sailing River Barge ? It was posted back in 2013 & is on Spreckles Lake. I'd like to find out about it & where it may be at this time. Thinking of building one that I can also tow behind my Puffers. Thanks. CplFuzz
I may be completely wrong, but that model may have been built by Bob Eklund from Van Nuyes CA. Bob passed away a few years ago, but did go to Speckles lake many times. Please correct me if this is incorrect.

Mark
to remove ads between posts
Jun 11, 2016, 09:01 PM
boat butcher
Cpl Fuzz,

Went through my album, because I thought that model looked familiar, and found another shot, taken at the San Diego model boat pond. Sorry about the poor quality. There's a better copy of it in the thread "Scan of Mark Weitzman's photo album", posted by Game Ogre.

Mark
Jun 12, 2016, 05:27 AM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
Not sure if this is the same boat, but this one of Bobs builds. I believe the full size boat is somewhere up in the Bay Area.
Jun 12, 2016, 08:44 AM
boat butcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzy View Post
Not sure if this is the same boat, but this one of Bobs builds. I believe the full size boat is somewhere up in the Bay Area.
Manny,

Your right, that's the model Bob built. Thanks. Not sure who built the other boat now .

Mark
Jun 12, 2016, 08:49 AM

Come on Up !

Mr. Goon, you comin' up this year ?

Sure would be fun to see you again, you can bring that new workboat ...

Bring Manny too.
Last edited by Tim B.; Aug 15, 2016 at 03:30 PM.
Jun 12, 2016, 11:23 AM
Quite the collection of photos - thanks for taking the time to pull them up and post them for us.
Jun 12, 2016, 12:51 PM
We are lucky to have this lake !

There are some Great events coming up and there are Sure to be some more fun pictures.
Jun 12, 2016, 04:23 PM
Old Duffer
Thanks for posting those photo's Tim!
You guy's have an awesome collection of equipment out there on the "Left Coast"! Beautiful!
Jun 14, 2016, 12:49 PM
Steam up just around the corner !

Hope all the guys from the perimeter got the word on the dtae change ...

I dont see any other events in the park on Saturday that would effect access or parking ~

Last edited by Tim B.; Aug 01, 2016 at 03:32 PM.
Jun 14, 2016, 01:50 PM
Old Duffer
Please don't forget a lot of photos for us "right coasters"!
Jun 15, 2016, 10:33 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
There is a poss conflict - a running event using the Chain of Lakes converse (41st-43rd Aves) to the west. Don't know if it will affect us, but hopefully I'll be back on my feet (nasty stomach virus) by tomorrow and can check with Rec & Parks to be sure.
Jun 15, 2016, 10:56 AM
Thanks for your help on that, some folks coming from far away, they are watching for updates ~

Jun 16, 2016, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c
There is a poss conflict - a running event using the Chain of Lakes converse (41st-43rd Aves) to the west. Don't know if it will affect us, but hopefully I'll be back on my feet by tomorrow and can check with Rec & Parks to be sure.
Any update please ?

Jun 17, 2016, 02:46 PM
No signage as of noon today (Friday) indicating any closures affecting 30 or 36th Ave approces to Lakeside. Look like all clear....
Jun 17, 2016, 04:21 PM

Rain Rain Go Away

Showers forecast for the AM ....

[/I]
Last edited by Tim B.; Jun 17, 2016 at 08:34 PM.
Jun 18, 2016, 01:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B.
[I]Showers forecast for the AM ....[/I
So hot tea and we can wait 'em out sittin' in the ClubHouse slingin' bull twixt ourselves as friends often do. Sorry, no big fireplace and footstools. ('Sides, Tim says the forecast is for downtown and may not touch The Lake.)

This ain't Oz so do don't think anyone will melt....

Last Check of Weather Forecast says sunny from the Sixth Bell of the Morning Watch (07:00) forward with falling humidity and rising NNW winds switching to WNW in the afternoon. https://weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/l/USCA0987:1:US

See ya there!
Last edited by craig_c; Jun 18, 2016 at 05:31 AM.
Jun 18, 2016, 08:01 AM
Final Update.... Four Bells of the Morning Watch: Looking out my window to the west, a bit of fog and few high clouds, but otherwise blue sky!

See Ya1
Jun 18, 2016, 08:25 AM

?

Where is everybody ?
Jun 18, 2016, 09:43 AM
I KNOW, how early you get to the pond!
Lee and Craig, were each just getting out of bed
AND, since you had already driven in from the same area, you KNOW, how long it's going to take Lee to get there.
Jun 18, 2016, 05:13 PM

steam up 2016

SteamUp2016 2 HD 720p (8 min 1 sec)

Here are my pictures of the steam up at sprekels lake.
Best event yet.
Old weird Harold
Jun 18, 2016, 05:28 PM
Thanks for posting!
CB
Jun 18, 2016, 05:31 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Good to see at least a few finally showed up.
Jun 18, 2016, 05:32 PM
Old Duffer
You guy's on the "Left Coast" do some beautiful Work!!
Thank you for the photo's!
Jun 18, 2016, 06:04 PM
Thanks Cannonman !
Jun 18, 2016, 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by olcarluvr View Post
Thanks! Excellent photo collection of some really amazing tugs.
Olcarluver, we are hoping you can post some pictures from today ( or Anyone else ) ..
Jun 18, 2016, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCB View Post
I KNOW, how early you get to the pond!
Lee and Craig, were each just getting out of bed
AND, since you had already driven in from the same area, you KNOW, how long it's going to take Lee to get there.
Wadda ya mean "outta bed????" I never GOT INTO BED!!!!! Tanks a lot, CB! Ol' Buddy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B. View Post
Where is everybody ?
I'll remember that Timmy next time the turtles come round lookin'
fer ya!! Yeah, sure, ya bet ya! Where is everybody unh-hunh!

--------------------------

And on that note - I'd like to thank Daniel and Kenny for helping to set up the site and a BIG thank You to Dan for helping to break it down while I was packing the car!!! Dan! You ARE da man!

A great big thank you to EVERYONE who showed up and hung around for the festivities (Tim? Who dat?). I hope a great and fun time was had by all - it sure seemed like that is what was happening. I know I had a wonderful time and got a lovely sunburn, should turn crispy in a day or two 21 TeaPots were on display and I think at least 16 got out onto the water. Almost perfect conditions for a steam day, warm, sunny and almost a millpond for a great deal of the event. The wind did start to pick up as we got into the afternoon but not too intensely so we kept right on going till the people 'ran outta steam.'

(And that's another thing Tim... Rain? Just where were you getting those forecasts????? There was hardly a cloud in the entire visible sky!)
Last edited by craig_c; Jun 18, 2016 at 07:46 PM.
Jun 18, 2016, 08:23 PM
boat butcher
Very cool video . Great models. Thanks for posting.

Mark
Jun 18, 2016, 08:39 PM
Taking care of the pond.
Thank You for the photo's.
Jun 18, 2016, 09:28 PM

Darned computer weather forecast models ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c View Post

A great big thank you to EVERYONE who showed up and hung around for the festivities (Tim? Who dat?).
(And that's another thing Tim... Rain? Just where were you getting those forecasts????? There was hardly a cloud in the entire visible sky!)
Doh ! I saw the forecast last night ( showers ) and made other planz ~ went to see a man about a boat ... ( ) )...
Jun 19, 2016, 12:42 AM
Random pics of 2016 Steam Up. Apologies for the lack of captions and general disorder.
Larry
Last edited by olcarluvr; Jun 19, 2016 at 12:53 AM.
Jun 19, 2016, 12:52 AM
and the last few for now..
Jun 19, 2016, 07:38 AM
Thanks for all these Great pictures !!!
Jun 19, 2016, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the photo's!!
They are fine in whatever order worked, and "captions", should not be needed.
I got some ideas for finishing the interior of a Krick, steam launch. It will be electric power, but as of know, I have not decided, weather it will have a "dummy" steam plant, or not.
Jun 19, 2016, 12:25 PM
Grumpa Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B. View Post
Thanks for all these Great pictures !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCB View Post
Thanks for the photo's!!
They are fine in whatever order worked, and "captions", should not be needed.
I got some ideas for finishing the interior of a Krick, steam launch. It will be electric power, but as of know, I have not decided, weather it will have a "dummy" steam plant, or not.
Ditto +1
Jun 19, 2016, 12:52 PM

The final few.....

Special thanks to Alan for bringing out his stunning steamboat Tahoe and PT boat.
Jun 19, 2016, 03:36 PM
Great to see Gary of Gary's Boatyard !
Last edited by Tim B.; Aug 15, 2016 at 03:23 PM.
Jun 19, 2016, 06:39 PM
mahoganyfan

Pictures

Fantastic photos................wish I lived closer to your pond.
Jun 19, 2016, 07:10 PM
We wish you could drop by !
Jun 19, 2016, 08:23 PM

Motor sailer at Spreckels Lake

A special visit at Spreckels Lake today, BobSF brought his newly refurbished vintage 70's motorsailer LaHaina ...

Note the Beautiful fittings and hardware, some are courtesy of Wet Goose Fittings I believe ...

Motor Sailor Lahaina Spreckels Lake 6-19-16 (1 min 10 sec)
Last edited by Tim B.; Aug 15, 2016 at 03:22 PM.
Jun 19, 2016, 08:57 PM
Hi Tim,
Thanks for the video and all the photos. Makani Kai is based on a kit from Germany called the Inga IV. You can still get the hull through Kingston Moldings. She sails really nicely and her 12 V Dumas Motor moves her around at a scale speed. I did move the rudder back further on the hull and doubled its size. She carries between 17 and 19 pounds of lead (bonded inside her hull).
Rod Carr made the sails and did a wonderful job...they work great. This is a really fun boat to run. It was great seeing you today. Bob SF
Jun 19, 2016, 09:19 PM
Great photo's guys! Wow! Glad you were all there shooting pictures!

Somehow the strap on my camera became loosened and it headed for the asphalt walk-around. The camera is 'dead on scene;' wouldn't initialize (boot), not yet sure about the damage to the lens; element alignment or AF systems therein. Do not know whether I can retrieve the pics from memory, but I will try.

Otherwise - What a fantastic day! Great turnout and a totally fun time was gad by everyone.

Same time again next year OK of you guys, or would there be a better date? I'm hoping to start seeing folks and boats from both the Southlands as well as Oregon, Washington and BC as we used at this event again in the future!
Last edited by craig_c; Jun 19, 2016 at 09:53 PM. Reason: clarity
Jun 19, 2016, 09:24 PM
Quote:
Somehow the strap on my camera became loosened and it headed for the deck. The camera is 'dead on scene,' not sure about the damage to the lens.
Mighty sorry to hear about that !

Jun 19, 2016, 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob SF View Post
Hi Tim,
Thanks for the video and all the photos. Makani Kai is based on a kit from Germany called the Inga IV. This is a really fun boat to run. It was great seeing you today. Bob SF
Beautiful boat Bob, I am jealous !
Jun 19, 2016, 09:54 PM
So Tim, are you going to take us out for rides on the "Dixie?"
Jun 19, 2016, 10:15 PM

End of an era ...

Here we will pay tribute to the Captain of the Dixie, Maury Polse ~

He passed on in his sleep a few months back, the disposition of the boat is not know at this time .

He was 65.

I was to see someone about the boat but it didn’t work out.

I spoke with the Captain of a neighboring charter vessel, he said no one is sure what will happen as Mr. Polse’s kids don’t seem to be interested, if a family member doesn’t take over the slip will be rotated ( there is a waiting list a Mile long ) …

Dixie has the last working single cylinder hicks at the wharf, she is tight and Very well maintained as she sailed 3 weeks of every month.
Count myself lucky to have had two rides.

He was a Very nice man, $15.00 got you a peaceful ( but not quite 1 cylinder Hicks ) ride.

Calm Seas Captain Polse....

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...#photo-9586929

http://dixiecharters.blogspot.com/

"HistoryEstablished in 1994.

'DIXIE' and I became an item in 1983. I bought her sunk at Bethel Island in the Sacramento Delta, raised her and got the 1910 1 cylinder Hicks engine running smooth.
Donating trips for charitable organizations I answered the "call of the sea" and earned my 100 ton Masters License. My first year as a professional mariner was at the Pier 39 mall on the water. There I built a new kiosk for the charter boats from a 1930's fishing boat and honed my tour captain skills. Invited by the Wharfinger of Piers 47-49 I took my place on the front line across Jefferson street from the DiMaggio Building and began the first tours ever from Fisherman's Grotto.

Maury P. Business Owner "
Jun 19, 2016, 10:56 PM
Grumpa Tom
RIP Cap'n Poise...

Craig, did you remove the battery from your camera? I had a similar situation when I tripped and slammed into a boulder. Camera would not initialize. Then I removed the battery, and reinstalled and it then booted back up.
Jun 20, 2016, 01:00 AM
Hmmmm...It would be terrible to see a fine example of the a Monterey clipper boat, especially one with a period engine disappear.... maybe some of us locals ought to get together and see what might be done to keep Capt'n Polse's memory and legacy on the waves.
Last edited by craig_c; Jun 20, 2016 at 01:38 AM.
Jun 20, 2016, 01:31 AM
Hey, Thanks for the tip, Tom.... Yeah tried it, doin' the 24 hour version of that at the moment. Crossin' ma fingers really hard. Definitely not the battery though.... new battery, same response Need to figure out whether I'm going to repair or replace.... either way, this is gonna hurt!

Thankfully I rarely get rid of old cameras, lol (packrat me!). In process of downloading the images from the card which I stuffed into one of my old D200 bodies. Xfer rate is really slooooow but works eeeeeveeeeentually.... (I thinks I can - I thinks I can)

added a hour later..... Still waiting - lol

Still later.... Images recovered from CF card! Woot! Gimme a few days to edit things and I'll post a few.
Last edited by craig_c; Jun 20, 2016 at 04:49 AM.
Jun 20, 2016, 04:50 AM
@ Bob SF - Wow! She sure is beautiful. You are one fine Craftsmen!

(And thanks Tim for taking and posting the pictures)
Last edited by craig_c; Jun 20, 2016 at 05:00 AM.
Jun 20, 2016, 07:57 AM
Hi Craig,
Thank you. This was a fun project, and very different from what I normally build.
Bob SF
Jun 20, 2016, 01:37 PM
Grumpa Tom
Quote:
Thankfully I rarely get rid of old cameras, lol (packrat me!). In process of downloading the images from the card which I stuffed into one of my old D200 bodies. Xfer rate is really slooooow but works eeeeeveeeeentually.... (I thinks I can - I thinks I can)

added a hour later..... Still waiting - lol

Still later.... Images recovered from CF card! Woot! Gimme a few days to edit things and I'll post a few.
I never upload the photos from the camera to my PC. Takes too long, uses up camera battery and processor.

Get yourself a card reader. Cheap to buy, and works probably 10 times faster than going thru the camera.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Muti-C...QAAOSwhRxXKvtR
Jun 20, 2016, 05:26 PM

The future of this culture

Quote:
Hmmmm...It would be terrible to see a fine example of the a Monterey clipper boat, especially one with a period engine disappear.... maybe some of us locals ought to get together and see what might be done to keep Capt'n Polse's memory and legacy on the waves.
So ~

The Captain's widow called and says the family is keeping the boat, they will be trying to hire a part time Captain soon.

The challenge will be to find a guy who can Safely start that Hicks ...

Antique Marine Gas Engine - 1913 Hicks 6HP (2 min 24 sec)
Last edited by Tim B.; Aug 15, 2016 at 03:21 PM.
Jun 23, 2016, 09:33 AM
Which way is it blowing?
FYI, It looks as if the park will be temporarily closed Saturday morning 6/25 for the Pride Run.
http://www.sffr.org/maps
The FAQ's say the race starts at 9AM and that the course reopens to traffic 2 hours after the start.
Jun 24, 2016, 11:30 PM
I guess it wouldn't be the Park if it weren't closed somewhere inconvenient!
Jun 25, 2016, 08:30 AM
Unseen forces at work to be sure ...
Jun 26, 2016, 06:14 PM
Last edited by craig_c; Jun 26, 2016 at 07:22 PM.
Jun 26, 2016, 06:33 PM

Speed Limits on Spreckels Lake -

A friendly reminder....

The legal, posted speed limit on Spreckels Lake is 15 MPH, not 50.

This is a safety issue, the lake design is simply not safe for high speed boats according to NAMBA. The district director for NAMBA District Nine on a visual inspection of the lake rated it at 30 MPH MAX under the best of conditions and told me that NAMBA WILL NOT INSURE anyone going over 15MPH.

There have been serious injuries due to control loss of high-speed boats at the Lake in the past. We'd rather not see another injured person lying on the ground again waiting for an ambulance.

If you want to run high speed boats, great - please take them over to East Bay (Fremont/Kaiser Cove is a NAMBA sanctioned site) or Robert's Lake in Rohnert Park (Sonoma County Model Boaters (SOCOBO)) where there are groups with really good high-speed venues where fast gas and fast electric are welcome and can be run safely.

Please obey the posted signs and have a safe time at the Lake.

If someone is operating at unsafe speeds or otherwise behaving in a reckless fashion on the Lake, do not get into confrontation with them. If they will not respond to polite entreaties, call either the Park Patrol (Rangers) or SFPD.

SFPD Park Police, Polo Field Stables 1 (415) 752-6255

Park Patrol (Rangers) Kezar Dispatch: 1 (415) 242-6390

Last edited by craig_c; Jul 01, 2016 at 01:18 AM.
Jun 29, 2016, 11:16 PM
RC Flying;Lego Contraption Guy
That photo of that toy boat at Spreckels Lake jumping the edge doesn't seem like it is going faster than 10 MPH....
Jun 30, 2016, 12:07 PM
Just imagine if it had been in the 40-50 mph range. Why it is said to be a unsafe lake at anything over 30 mph.
Jun 30, 2016, 12:56 PM
I do not need to imagine, as I have SEEN it!
The fact that your "other half", stayed as "calm" as she did, and let you handle it, "that", was a miracle!

Our clubs lake, depending on the water level, has a 6'' - 8'', VERTICAL, concrete wall! That "should" stop just about everything. And in approx. 33 years, I have only see ONE, moderately fast boat, hit the wall at speed. AND, it stayed IN the water. 3 of us, were doing a magazine, photo shoot. We had cleared everyone else away. Just: builder/driver, camera man, and me acting as a safety man. Something "happened", and my friend, had total loss of control. It hit the wall less than 10' from where we were standing. We decided that to NOT, jeopardize the "clubs, run permit", in the future, this type of stuff, would be done elsewhere. Speed was approx, 30+ MPH, slow, by today's standards.
Jul 01, 2016, 01:19 AM
That image was a real fluke..... Conditions were just exactly right.

1) Lake was almost overflowing in spots (rarely is allowed to get that high).

2) High nosed 'deep-V,' POC toy moving, yes, well less than 10 MPH (model could barely make five as I recall) but as you see, the combination of boat and water level stuck the prow above the level of the bank so out she came.

Seriously, the boat made it all of a couple inches as I recall, to a belly-flop-stop landing.

Also, the driver is the Dad with (I believe) his son in the picture (the controller is behind them out of sight).

Just too good a series of shots not to be used for a safety pic!
Last edited by craig_c; Jul 01, 2016 at 01:44 AM.
Jul 01, 2016, 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptLee View Post
Just imagine if it had been in the 40-50 mph range. Why it is said to be a unsafe lake at anything over 30 mph.
We have one guy who is a semi-regular at the Lake, a NAMBA member and champion, who insists he can run 50 to 90+ MPH extreme performance and performance-modified electric speed boats on the Lake. Even within a few feet of the side of the Lake and in areas that are closed to power boats (the entire north shore) - the (Rec&Park's posted) rules 'be damned!' He's 'a sponsored professional model boat racer' and because of his superior skills, he knows what he is doing and is therefore perfectly safe and exempt from the rules and laws that govern others! (No Kidding, actually said this on a number of occasions.)

He also likes to post videos of his speed exploits featuring his sponsor's products over on YouTube.
Last edited by craig_c; Jul 01, 2016 at 01:42 AM.
Jul 01, 2016, 08:34 AM

Tugfest 16 !

Tugfest coming Soon ~

Hoping for clear, warm weather ( anything can happen ... )
Last edited by Tim B.; Aug 01, 2016 at 02:24 PM.
Jul 01, 2016, 10:43 AM
boat butcher
We're a comin' .

Mark
Jul 01, 2016, 10:45 AM
Lookin' ta see you next week
Jul 01, 2016, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the goon View Post
We're a comin' .

Mark
Cool !

Should be a good turn out if you guy's are coming all that way ~

Hoping to see Aimee as well !
Jul 01, 2016, 07:47 PM

SFMYC - July Newsletter - The Nautical News

Here ya go - hotz offa da press: attached below or by link....
Jul 01, 2016, 08:04 PM
Grumpa Tom
Quote:
We're a comin' .

Mark
Jul 01, 2016, 09:22 PM
Quote:
We have one guy who is a semi-regular at the Lake, a NAMBA member and champion, who insists he can run 50 to 90+ MPH extreme performance and performance-modified electric speed boats on the Lake. Even within a few feet of the side of the Lake and in areas that are closed to power boats (the entire north shore) - the (Rec&Park's posted) rules 'be damned!' He's 'a sponsored professional model boat racer' and because of his superior skills, he knows what he is doing and is therefore perfectly safe and exempt from the rules and laws that govern others! (No Kidding, actually said this on a number of occasions.)

He also likes to post videos of his speed exploits featuring his sponsor's products over on YouTube.

I'll assume that's Bill Oxidian (sp?) A legend in his own mind
Jul 04, 2016, 10:26 AM
I sure wish there was more Live Steamers here in the East seems I'm the only one.
Jul 04, 2016, 10:27 AM
Any clubs near you ?
Jul 05, 2016, 03:14 PM

AirDOGGe,

Are you going to come up and "play tugs", next Sunday??
Last edited by CaptCB; Jul 06, 2016 at 12:59 PM.
Jul 06, 2016, 01:58 PM
Which way is it blowing?
I enjoyed this video of a Tugfest in Germany.
Above and below the waterline.
They call them "Schleppers"!
R/C Schlepper schleppen immer noch / r/c Tugs are still tugging - Aukrug 2013 (4 min 46 sec)
Jul 06, 2016, 04:07 PM
For everyone whom are coming to the TugFest on Sunday you might put in a light jacket as the Forecast is for the low 60's temps. Might be overcast but it could burn-off so sunscreen is a possible need.
See You at the Lake!!!!!!!!!
Lee D.
Jul 06, 2016, 06:29 PM
boat butcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptLee View Post
For everyone whom are coming to the TugFest on Sunday you might put in a light jacket as the Forecast is for the low 60's temps. Might be overcast but it could burn-off so sunscreen is a possible need.
See You at the Lake!!!!!!!!!
Lee D.
Lee,

How do you think the wind is going to be? We plan to come up from LA, but don't want to be blown out. Don't plan on competing, just want to display/run a little.

Mark
Jul 06, 2016, 09:40 PM
Shouldn't be too windy till after lunch ~

Could be cold and foggy at 9:00 AM though ...

https://www.wunderground.com/q/zmw:94114.1.99999
Last edited by Tim B.; Aug 18, 2016 at 08:40 AM.
Jul 06, 2016, 09:57 PM

Tim,

Back in the GGSC days, we have started regattas, when you could "almost", see the north side of the lake. And, it was NOT a "light jacket", it was a heavy jacket, gloves, and winter beanies! It was better weather at home (Lake Tahoe).
Jul 06, 2016, 10:43 PM
Quote:
Don't plan on competing, just want to display/run a little.

Mark
Fun is what this is for, and Fun we shall have.

Jul 06, 2016, 11:15 PM
boat butcher
Thanks for the link. So far, so good it looks like.

Mark
Jul 07, 2016, 03:30 AM
Keep a Steady Strain....
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptLee
For everyone whom are coming to the TugFest on Sunday you might put in a light jacket as the Forecast is for the low 60's temps.
I can't come in that case...I only own shorts & t-shirts...
Jul 07, 2016, 07:36 AM
Jul 07, 2016, 01:17 PM
Foggy or not, he WILL, be wearing shorts!
Jul 07, 2016, 09:25 PM

Make it so !

Quote:
Originally Posted by the goon
Lee,

How do you think the wind is going to be? We plan to come up from LA, but don't want to be blown out. Don't plan on competing, just want to display/run a little.

Mark
Forecast update:

The forecast high for Sunday has been raised one whole degree !

Should be a Good day ( if that Lady that sells donuts is gonna be there ).

Gonna go ahead and start getting boats ready:
Last edited by Tim B.; Aug 18, 2016 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Spellllling
Jul 07, 2016, 11:02 PM

Tim,

Are you just coming to play, or, have you decided to compete??
Jul 08, 2016, 12:52 AM
Weather will be better by Sunday.
Today was 9 degrees cooler than Kodiak, Alaska.
My weather guys say it'll be 68 degrees on Sunday and sunny; still not as warm as Kodiak, Alaska today. Shirtsleeve weather here.
With all the hot air at lakeside, I haven't needed a coat out there in years, and I'm not referring to the steam event.

So come on up, we'll keep you moving around and warm. Hope to see a northern contingent to match up the southern crowd.
Jul 08, 2016, 08:07 AM

Plenny of hot air

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugs
Shirtsleeve weather here.
With all the hot air at lakeside, I haven't needed a coat out there in years, and I'm not referring to the steam event.
Youre right, there's Never a shortage of hot air at this event !

Jul 08, 2016, 03:38 PM
r/c ships and workboats
Well this is a tug event and tuggers don't back down in the weather! Good luck and look forward to the photos and getting back down to this event some time soon. just not in the cards this year.
Jul 08, 2016, 06:42 PM

Come on down !

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith S
Good luck and look forward to the photos and getting back down to this event some time soon. just not in the cards this year.
It would be Great if you could come down and see us ...
Jul 08, 2016, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith S
Well this is a tug event and tuggers don't back down in the weather!
We know cold weather doesn't slow you guy's up there at all ~

Last edited by Tim B.; Aug 15, 2016 at 03:37 PM.
Jul 08, 2016, 06:56 PM

Sunday forecast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugs
My weather guys say it'll be 68 degrees on Sunday and sunny;
Starting to shape up just as you report !:
Last edited by Tim B.; Aug 01, 2016 at 02:20 PM.
Jul 08, 2016, 07:00 PM
I get the impression that something big is happening at Sprekles this Sunday....
Jul 08, 2016, 07:23 PM
Boats on the brain!!
I'm liking that Weather Underground site.
Jul 08, 2016, 08:08 PM

Doant ferget the ballast !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Hoffmann
I get the impression that something big is happening at Sprekles this Sunday....
Be there or be Square ( bring yer own ballast too ! ) ( )
Last edited by Tim B.; Aug 15, 2016 at 03:37 PM.
Jul 08, 2016, 08:22 PM

Great weather site

Quote:
Originally Posted by green-boat
I'm liking that Weather Underground site.
It's the only one I trust ~

Here is another one, Very powerful and Fun !:

http://www.intellicast.com/Storm/Hur...Satellite.aspx

Click on Interactive Weather Map: there's a good toolbar, Anything you want, zoom, live, move the map all over the world, if you are going to another country you can see what's REALLY happening NOW.
Last edited by Tim B.; Aug 01, 2016 at 02:17 PM.
Jul 08, 2016, 09:18 PM
The only weather phenomenon that concerns me is the wind. Best to get the whole ball rolling ASAP and early to minimize that factor. I'll take clouds, cold or drizzle least of my worries.
Jul 08, 2016, 09:43 PM

Open early !

So right ~

There Is a change, for the past 10 days the fog has blocked out the sun Completely by 6 PM, today its still clear at almost 8 and I can see Sutro Tower from all the way over on this side ~

Could be windy.

Hopefully the clubhouse will be open early so we can get place set up.

Who has the Keys ? ( Craig ) .....
Jul 08, 2016, 11:52 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Strange cloud formations. ...
Jul 09, 2016, 02:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi_Ryuzuki
Strange cloud formations. ...
That is the great fog bank that envelops most of the California coast intermittently during late spring and summer. It may range in width from a hundred yards to more than a hundred miles; in height, from a hundred feet to half a mile.

It's particularly pronounced when it zooms in thru the Golden Gate, spilling over the city, just leaving the bridge spires, Sutro Tower and tall buildings, peeking over the top of the Fog.

Hope that's a very current picture and we can expect to see you at the Lake.

Quick Reply