Apr 04, 2011, 04:35 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA

Boat Handling Event - 03 April 2100

It was an incredible day at The Lake today!!! Absolutely beautiful!

As far as I could tell, much fun was had by all!! Working on pictures, here's a teaser!

(Apologies to all you heat-challenged folks with the white stuf...)
Last edited by craig_c; Apr 05, 2011 at 10:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 04, 2011, 05:54 AM
Retired for now
Don'tcha gots no vids? Pete
Apr 04, 2011, 11:27 PM
Yes, we have no videos today! ( Jeeze, some folks!! Ya givz 'em nice, purty pictures and the next thing ya know they wantz cinemascope and technicolor movies in 3D with Sensurround no less!!! )

Seriously, the club does not have a video camera and the rest of the folks are either running boats or running the contest. The photographer (moi) has to concentrate on shooting, not being in the event. A couple of folks (not the club) are trying to find a solution. One person has proposed putting up a web camera up in one of the trees so we can have a live-cam view on the web-site.

And no, currently I don't have a usable video camera or video-enabled DSLR either.

I am currently also trying to figure out how to piggy back my GoPro onto the barrel of my long lenses as a way of getting videos, but no joy on that front yet.
Last edited by craig_c; Apr 05, 2011 at 07:56 PM.
Apr 05, 2011, 09:40 AM

Day on The Lake

Morning Craig C, just wanted to say I had a great time at The Lake, it was good to meet you and Aerominded. lots of great boats and good people ! we were very fortuntate with the weather, one of those gambling days at the west end of GG park when ANYTHING could happen with the weather. I also was very lucky to sell my unbuilt Artesia Latina Hellen, which was why I went this time.
Looking forward to the next event.
Thanks for all you do for us !
Apr 05, 2011, 10:44 AM

April 03, '11 - the Ship Handling Event

Here we go... First installments for April third; the Ship Handling Event.
Last edited by craig_c; Jun 19, 2011 at 06:35 PM.
Apr 05, 2011, 11:50 AM

Einar's Tigger in a Kayak

Sunday brought a surprise in the form of another of the boats that Einar designed, this time a kayak.

While I did not get a chance to see the mechanism and get detail shots, I will try to get some the next time that 'Tigger' comes to the Lake for a good paddle.

The oars are strictly power, steering is accomplished with a hidden rudder.

Very cool what I did see though. Hope this inspires some of you guys thinking of anthropomorphic propulsion systems.
Last edited by craig_c; Apr 05, 2011 at 12:02 PM.
Apr 05, 2011, 12:20 PM

More pics !

Very good photos ! here are a few I got ... including a few canine observers ...
Last edited by Tim B.; Aug 10, 2016 at 09:01 AM.
Apr 05, 2011, 02:28 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Awesome post...it's nice to put faces to some of the names here too...
Apr 05, 2011, 03:21 PM
This young man, his Mom and Grandmother came out to the Lake so he could run his new boat.

Boy, did he get a surprise. After gawking and looking for awhile, he asked if he could run his boat too... of course (after checking he freq board...) he could!

Anyway, just remember guys, that people his age are probably more excited about running a little RTR than we are running a 80" scale model! It's their first, not their tenth or twentieth. Threat them with care, what future our hobby has begins here!
Last edited by craig_c; Apr 05, 2011 at 04:59 PM.
Apr 05, 2011, 03:26 PM

03 April 2011 - a flock of Wheeler Yachts

A bevy of beautiful Wheeler class yachts descended on the Lake in the afternoon to spend he day racing on its yacht course.

Only one is skippered by an SFMYC member.

Note on the "So Long" (the green boat, number 8), the little orange video camera system mounted on the deck. Wonder how those videos came out!
Last edited by craig_c; Apr 06, 2013 at 02:39 PM.
Apr 05, 2011, 03:50 PM
Tim..

Thanks for sharing your great photos! Glad you made it and even happier that you had a great time ! Looking forward to meeting you again!
Apr 05, 2011, 07:17 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Great photos, both of you guys! Thanks for posting. I understand well the difficulty of juggling boating with photography, and really appreciate your efforts.
Apr 05, 2011, 10:30 PM
Taking care of the pond.
Great pictures,
Thank You All
Apr 05, 2011, 10:45 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Great pics of great boats on what look like a great day. I think that covers it!
Apr 05, 2011, 10:46 PM
Great coverage and it's great to see some of the "irregular" tug guys out there as well. That Jim Wilder has an interesting back story to it... anyone notice something different about it?

Quick Reply