Jul 22, 2013, 11:18 AM

Santa Barbara and Infinity National Championships

Craig,

Could you please send the images you posted above announcing our 2 NCR's to John Super so he can use them in promoting our S/B and Infinity races. John said he'd notify other clubs and individuals that the races are ON, wherever they may be.

Thanks,

Bob
to remove ads between posts
Jul 22, 2013, 01:24 PM

lots of great pictures

I have enjoyed the photos of the lake. I was not able to get an over all idea of what things looked like with how the bottom of the lake was. The old rumors that it had a 13 ft channel in the middle and such. Well after my last visit I see you can just about walk anywhere at about chest deep. Good to know.

I thought the lake was deeper. (0 min 31 sec)
Jul 22, 2013, 01:36 PM
Resistance is futile
I am wondering what happened to all the water life that was in the lake. One would think that using a pump to drain the water would kill any fish, etc. .
Perhaps I missed that being covered somewhere earlier? Will the water life be returned when the water comes back? Seems the entire ecosystem would be thrown for a loop.
Just my rambling mind.
Jul 22, 2013, 02:33 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
@ circutfxr

Remember, Spreckels is not a natural lake, but a reservoir behind an earthen embankment dam (36th Ave roadway into the park being the top).

The first few inches of water go out through a simple overflow drain behind Turtle Cove with flows onward, IIRC, to the 'Chain of Lakes.' The next couple of feet go out through a deep 'emergency' set in Turtle Cove and an open drain near the North Shore under the Yacht Course (#2715), which flow to a couple of emergency/pressure loss fire hydrants (#2645) along Fulton Street next to the Park as the Lake serves as one of the emergency fire suppression 'tanks' for the residents of the area.

After that, the Rec & Parks Dept brought in three porta-pumps, two three inch and one five inch, to take the Lake down far enough to do the work on the Southeast walkway.

A lot of fry and minnows, at the very least, went down the storm drain to the Pacific when the drains and pumps were running, but the carp and most of the turtles seem to have avoided the mayhem.

As far as the ecosystem goes, I think Spreckels has always been sort of catch as catch can with whatever let-over unwanted pet fish and turtles getting dumped in over the years. I know there have been some Chinese ladies who came out and dumped a few hundred 'feeder' goldfish (about three five-gallon buckets full) into the Lake - ("For good LUCK," one told me in very broken English. - My silent reaction was, 'Lady, you just rang the dinner bell!' The carp ate well that night.)

What I'd really like to see added is a ton of native floaters and other freshwater mussels with their necessary symbiont species of minnows to clarify the water and create a more balanced ecology in the Lake!
Last edited by craig_c; Jul 22, 2013 at 02:48 PM.
Jul 22, 2013, 02:35 PM
Balance ~

Ideal.
Jul 22, 2013, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c
What I'd really like to see added is a ton of native floaters and other freshwater mussels with their necessary symbiont species of minnows to clarify the water and create a more balanced ecology in the Lake!
Or just dose the thing every now and then- it is a model boat pond, not a nature preserve- (not sure you really want that foot in the door.)
Jul 22, 2013, 03:13 PM
If if weren't for the flow to Chain of Lakes, I'd say just dump in some Asian mussels from the Sac. Delta (lots available, they're used in Koi and other outdoor ponds) and have done with it! They breed like crazy but I don't know what might happen if they made it out to Chain of Lakes hitching on any minnows sucked down the overflow drain.

It' would really be nice to have a clear or even semi or sorta-kinda clear Lake.

But I do see the point - having to deal with any endangered-species issues would really complicate things at the Lake... non-endaged species only.... like feeder fish!
Last edited by craig_c; Jul 22, 2013 at 03:20 PM.
Jul 22, 2013, 04:06 PM
Resistance is futile
Perhaps some area specific snails? I hear they clean the water also. I guess it would get complicated if an entire ecosystem had to be maintained. I was going to suggest some simple plant life also, but since it is specifically for model boats, the vegetation would just be a problem. Too bad it feeds into other water ways, otherwise a chemical solution could be used. (Like a big fish tank)
Thanks for explaining all of it to me. I now have a better understanding of what is happening.
Jul 22, 2013, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by circuitfxr
Perhaps some area specific snails? I hear they clean the water also. I guess it would get complicated if an entire ecosystem had to be maintained. I was going to suggest some simple plant life also, but since it is specifically for model boats, the vegetation would just be a problem. Too bad it feeds into other water ways, otherwise a chemical solution could be used. (Like a big fish tank)
Thanks for explaining all of it to me. I now have a better understanding of what is happening.
It is not as bad as it may sound-
Jul 22, 2013, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded
It is not as bad as it may sound-
That's quite true, having clear water (like the Casting Ponds) though is pretty cool when compared to having the the thin green soup, though it does get pretty clear when they dump the algaecide in but, unfortunately, the effect only lasts a few days.

With freshwater clams / mussels (non-endangered ) eventually (hopefully) they'd clear the suspended algae and sediments out of the water rather than the algae growing on the rocks and cement which is less of an issue
Last edited by craig_c; Jul 22, 2013 at 08:26 PM.
Jul 22, 2013, 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c
With freshwater clams / mussels (non-endangered ) eventually (hopefully) they'd clear the suspended algae and sediments out of the water rather than the algae growing on the rocks and cement which is less of an issue
All just asking for trouble with the plumbing in the lake- not really my problem though.
Jul 23, 2013, 08:32 AM
We had some brilliant person thinking these would help keep one of our lakes here fresh and good looking NOT! It was a mess and the lake has never been the same.

Non-Native

Water hyacinth is native to South America but has naturalized much of the Southern U.S.

Water hyacinth is a free-floating perennial plant that can grow to a height of 3 feet. The dark green leave blades are circular to elliptical in shape attached to a spongy, inflated petiole. Underneath the water is a thick, heavily branched, dark fibrous root system. The water hyacinth has striking light blue to violet flowers located on a terminal spike. Water hyacinth is a very aggressive invader and can form thick mats. If these mats cover the entire surface of the pond they can cause oxygen depletions and fish kills. Water hyacinths should be controlled so they do not cover the entire pond.
Jul 23, 2013, 09:26 AM
Now all you need is Cane Toads !
Jul 23, 2013, 10:14 AM
Kudzu - More Kudzu!! And pythons!! Lots'a pythons (and a cobra or two too) oh my! (As if corals and cottonmouths weren't enough! What's next? Some imports a pregnant Krait or Taipan cuz it's juzt 2 k00l f/school?)

Seriously guys - why do you think I was contemplating NATIVE bivalves and minnows to begin with!?!?!? I'm very aware of the . . . ahem . . . amateur "ecological experimentation" going on in the Old South! Not to mention all the blasted eucalyptus trees out here that were brought over in 'hardwood' get-rich-quick schemes during the turn of the century through the late 30's!

The only excuse for much of it was people didn't know any better way back when (though to be honest, few really cared), some of us do know better now.

ps. the sarcasm light was lit for part o'dat.
Last edited by craig_c; Jul 23, 2013 at 07:31 PM.

Quick Reply