Aug 01, 2010, 01:44 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

Hobbyzone Champ BNF ARF Kit

No, the Champ isn't available as a Bind'N Fly, but its not too hard to build one from spare parts. This is Ideal if you are like me and don't need any more RTF TX's, Chargers or batteries and like to mod planes (and wish they weren't fully assembled to make it easier)

I ordered the following from Wholesale Trains

Parts List
HBZ4913 Decal Sheet Champ $2.99
HBZ4931 Complete Tail: Champ $5.99
HBZ4952 Fuselage with Electronics: Champ $37.99
HBZ4920 Main Wing: Champ $7.49
HBZ4918 Main Landing Gear Set: Champ $3.99

Which is $58.45 + shipping of $13.50 for a total of $72 to my door.

This isn't everything you need to make a Champ, but its everything I needed. A Prop and Tailwheel were left off the order on purpose. I have a bunch of smashed Sukhois and Mustangs and have props and tailwheels and don't need any more at this time.

Additional Parts Required
If I needed a Prop, EFL9051 4-site Props are 2 for $3.39
If I needed a Tailwheel PKZ3907, the J-3 Cub Tailwheel for $2.59 is the one you want... So that is another $6 for a Complete kit with an extra prop (or $78 total delivered).

If you are a member or Order more, Wholesale trains offers discounts that I wasn't eligible for as this was my first order from them. The parts arrived in less than 1 week... but I was on vacation until Yesterday, so I put the plane together this evening.

Assembly time is about 1 Hour (2 if if you are taking your time). I used UHU Por to glue the foam together. You'll also need a Heat Gun and some clear packing tape.

Elevator and Rudder
Landing Gear Install
Main Wing
Tailwheel
Decal Application
Pushrods
Assembly
Trim/Flying
Last edited by UNGN; Aug 01, 2010 at 12:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 01, 2010, 02:03 AM
Foaming at the mouth..
Nice setup man.. good way to go about it as well..

Curious, whats the AUW sans every decal except the windows?

~Kev
Aug 01, 2010, 02:08 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksiede
Nice setup man.. good way to go about it as well..

Curious, whats the AUW sans every decal except the windows?

~Kev
Mine is 36.8g without Battery, 40.5g with a PKZ 120mAh.

Don't know it that's good or bad.
Aug 01, 2010, 09:00 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Thread OP
Elevator and Rudder

The Elevator and Rudder prep is pretty straight forward: take them out of the box and glue on the control horns/Rudder clip.

I used UHU Por to glue them in place, which will allow for removal later...just in case. You may need to use an exacto to open the slot through the reinforcing tape. It's a good idea to add additional reinforcing tape to both sides of rudder and elevator extending 1/4" away from the control horns. This will reduce the chances of cracks near the control surfaces. If the rudder cracks at the control horn, the plane will have limited directional control.

If you purchased a steerable tailwheel, attach it to the rudder first (with tape), then slot the tape for the control horn, then install the control horn.

Since I'm not a big fan of steerable tailwheels on planes that lift the tail after a 6" roll, I'm going to have a fixed tailwheel in the fuse and save the rudder from hard landings.
Last edited by UNGN; Oct 05, 2010 at 06:47 PM.
Aug 01, 2010, 09:15 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Thread OP
Landing Gear Install

Since I'm not putting on a steerable tailwheel, I slotted and glued the tailwheel into the fuse.

It still taxi's fine... and isn't super twitchy on takeoff with the increased rudder throw of moving the Pushrods in on the control horns. Takeoffs are smooth and straight and the turning radius on the ground is only a little larger.
Aug 01, 2010, 09:55 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Thread OP
Main Wing

I used some clear tape on the wing to reinforce some potential problem area. The bottoms of the wing tip get scuff protection and I used a 1/2" wide strip of tape on the bottom of the wing to stiffen it in bending.

I flattened the wing slightly when applying the tape strip to preload the wing. This should help the load carrying ability of the wing, for cameras, bigger motors, etc. Stuff like this is hard to do when purchasing a RTF micro.
Aug 01, 2010, 10:12 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Thread OP
Decal Application

I'm only putting on the windshield and oil cooler decals for now. Building an ARF Kit is great if you want to do a color change. No decals to remove and the window decals aren't pre applied, so you can sand off the old color, paint on the new and apply the windows.

Painting over the old color without sanding most of it off will result in a tail heavy plane.
Aug 01, 2010, 11:30 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Thread OP
Pushrods

Before you can make the pushrods, you'll need to attach the Elevator and Rudder to the Fuselage. I use UHU por, but low temp hot glue can be used, too.

Glue the elevator first and once you are happy with it, glue on the rudder. DON'T try to glue them on at once or assemble them and glue them on together.

The first thing to do with the pushrods is put on the control surface ends. Just lining up the end of the CF rod with the beginning of the "U" bend should be close enough.

I smear elmers glue on the end of the rod, then put on the heat shrink and wire. Heat shrink is done with a heat gun and the excess elmers that gets squeezed out is wiped off. CA after heat shrink will work also to make the joint less likely to slip.

I put the pushrod on at the control horns to get to length and orientation of the servo ends right then heat shrink them away from the fuselage. DO NOT try to heat shrink them in place.

To install the Pushrods, undo them from the control horns and install them on the servo side first in the middle holes. Then just twist the control surface control horn to hook up that side. Use the holes furthest from the control surface if you are new to R/C, want a relaxing flyer or are using an RTF TX. Go closer to the control surface is you want to do stunts and/or have a good radio.

The length of the Pushrods is Approximately 10 5/8" give or take a mm The Rudder rod is about 1mm longer than the elevator Rod.
Aug 01, 2010, 11:55 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Thread OP
Assembly

Once the Pushrods are in, you can bind it to your radio and test the throws and trims. The final details remaining are to install the wing onto the upper fuselage, install the Velcro in the battery compartment and to tape the upper fuselage to the lower fuselage... and then go fly.

I UHU Por glued the wing on, but Low melt hot glue will work, too. I wouldn't use CA or Epoxy, because you never know when you may want to take it off for some reason.

When taping the Fuse halves together, don't forget tape at the upper fuselage joint at the tail (above the pushrods). The lower fuselage is very weak back there and the upper fuselage joint is basically a crack that will propagate to the lower fuselage in the first big crash, and the plane will break clean it two... being held together only by the pushrods.

I found this out the hard way, because I used very little tape to hold things together, to keep it light and avoid tail heaviness. There is tape back there now, and the AUW and CG barely noticed it.
Aug 03, 2010, 01:16 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Thread OP
Here is detail of the rear Fuse breaking off.

There is a "wind tunnel" between my house and some trees, where wind speed is much higher than in the adacent open area where I fly. I flew too close and the Champ got sucked in and bounced off the roof of my house.

The impact was nose first, right on the prop spinner. There was no damage to the front of the plane, but the whiplash of the impact broke the tail cleanly off.

Trying to save weight, I didn't tape the Upper Fuse seam. This seam acted like a crack, which propagated to the lower Fuselage.

Make sure tape is applied to this upper seam. I would not use magnets to hold the upper fuse to the lower, either, unless the tail of the lower fuselage is reinforced.

A little UHU por and some tape and I was back flying in a few minutes.
Aug 12, 2010, 11:14 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
what glue or silicone did you use around the gearbox/motor?
Aug 12, 2010, 11:19 PM
Foaming at the mouth..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29
what glue or silicone did you use around the gearbox/motor?
He didn't have to use any.. With the Fuselage + electronics, it came preinstalled.

~Kev
Aug 12, 2010, 11:24 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Right my bad.

UOTE=darksiede;15778608]He didn't have to use any.. With the Fuselage + electronics, it came preinstalled.

~Kev[/QUOTE]
Aug 13, 2010, 03:45 PM
Airspeed is my drug
Good stuff! I can get Mike's hobby to stock this stuff if they dont have it already. The champ is a winner and worth every penny, especially when you save a few!
Latest blog entry: Eight cell fun!
Aug 16, 2010, 11:34 AM
Cool, I have just ordered all the parts, except the decals and landing gear which I don't need . I ordered a battery also since I lost that with the original plane.

Quick Reply