Jul 31, 2010, 05:22 AM
Oxford Panic
Discussion

Everything PCB, Free CADware

Here's a list of free demo versions of PCB Cad Software...

http://www.everythingpcb.com/p14120.htm

A.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 31, 2010, 09:02 AM
Throw in some links to DIY PCB's and maybe SMT soldering and you've got the makings of a good sticky
Jul 31, 2010, 10:37 AM
five by five
DIY Layout Creator <==cross platform perfboard & stripboards layouts. freeware.

Fritzing <==cross platform, breadboard, schematic, layouts, autoroute. open source.

Fritzing - An Introduction (2 min 8 sec)
Jul 31, 2010, 11:53 AM
Inciting Riots
DorkbotPDX.net PCB panelizing for group purchases
BatchPCB.com PCB panelizing for group purchases
AP Circuits for prototype and production run PCB fabrication - very fast service
Jul 31, 2010, 12:19 PM
AndyOne,
Thanks for posting the link to EverythingPCB.
Besides the list of free demo versions of PCB Cad Software we've got a ton of other sections that can be of help to hobbyists:

* Demo, Shareware, Freeware & Trial Offer Software (more in addition to Andy's link)
* Technical / How to Pages / Hobby - DIY / Technical Bulletins / Tips & Techniques
* Printed Circuit Design Schools / PCB Technical Training / Engineering Schools (some free tutorials)
* Printed Circuit Videos, Engineering Videos & Related Technology Videos (soldering too)
* PCB & Engineering Industry Forums
* PCB & Electronics Hobby Kits & Tools
* Batteries, Battery Chargers
* Electronic Components:
Connectors / Electronic Interconnects
Custom / Specialty & Mechanical
Datasheets & Application Notes
Suppliers / Distributors / Reps
Surplus Components & Electronics
* Industry links, Information Services, Directories & Portals (links to other PCB directories, reference & technical pages)
* PCB Books
& much more..

All of the above can be found at this link:
http://www.everythingpcb.com/p12171.htm
Best,
DC
Aug 05, 2010, 05:37 AM
Want to add one site that might be worth using (I'm hoping to try them soon)

http://www.wedirekt.de/index.php/home

Example: 10 x double sided PCB, 200mm x 153mm, double sided solder resist, silk screen 24.92 euro each (plus vat and delivery)
Aug 05, 2010, 11:21 AM
Malc C,
We work with a company called PCBWing. Using your example:
"10 x double sided PCB, 200mm x 153mm, double sided solder resist, silk screen 24.92 euro each (plus vat and delivery)"
PCBWing's prices are 14.83 EURO / 19.50 USD each.
In addition, use the coupon code "EverythingPCB" and save an additional 2%.
http://www.everythingpcb.com/pcbwing.htm
Aug 05, 2010, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverythingPCB
Malc C,
We work with a company called PCBWing. Using your example:
"10 x double sided PCB, 200mm x 153mm, double sided solder resist, silk screen 24.92 euro each (plus vat and delivery)"
PCBWing's prices are 14.83 EURO / 19.50 USD each.
In addition, use the coupon code "EverythingPCB" and save an additional 2%.
http://www.everythingpcb.com/pcbwing.htm

Uhmmm... just went through a quote and got this for 10 boards, double sided, solder resist and silk screen

$175

This equates to 110, or 11 a board - not bad. - but then the quote doesn't show the shipping cost, and I take a risk on getting stung with duty and VAT... but that could still work out cheaper, without the additional 2%
Aug 05, 2010, 03:03 PM
Malc C,
I don't actually buy boards, I just run the web page so I don't know first hand what shipping, duties, VAT etc. would run, but PCBWing seems to have pretty good pricing (they actually quote very small 2 layer boards as low as $3.68ea) and as I said they give an additional 2% off with the coupon code, yeah, I know it's not a big deal, but it could add up if someone ever needed a lot of boards.
We've actually got a lot of other PCB manufacturers on the page from all over the globe and most if not all of them have an online quote page.
Here's the link to the PCB Manufacturers section:
http://www.everythingpcb.com/p13057.htm
Last edited by EverythingPCB; Aug 06, 2010 at 04:18 PM.
Sep 12, 2010, 04:58 AM
Well having wasted 65 on having a prototype board made by Crownhill (nothing wrong with my design, just their process at producing a board caused me problems) I've now revised the layout of the PCB to reduce it's size, and sent an order off to PCBWing.

Six boards of 163 x 125mm, two layer, solder mask and silk screened came to 94 inc standard airmail delivery - 7 day turn-around plus 7-14 delivery.

I'll let you guys know how they turn out when I receive them (hopefully in 2 - 3 weeks )
Sep 12, 2010, 03:30 PM
Malc "I've now revised the layout of the PCB to reduce it's size, and sent an order off to x PCBWing."

Remember to use the coupon code "EverythingPCB" and save a few % off your order.
Sep 12, 2010, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverythingPCB

Remember to use the coupon code "EverythingPCB" and save a few % off your order.
- missed that - maybe I'll e-mail them and ask for an upgrade on the shipping !!
Sep 24, 2010, 07:44 AM
Well my order arrived this morning, less than 10 working days after uploading the files to PBCWing.

What can I say, they are bloody fantastic (will put up a photo later). Professionally made, and all tested (the free tests are all part of the process). Above all, I had excellent communications with one of the sales staff, which made the whole process painless. - Total cost was 111.00 for 6 boards including priority FedEX shipment (less than 3 days from pick up to delivery), plus I received 15% in discount coupons for next order.

Guys - I highly recommend using PCBWing
Sep 24, 2010, 01:34 PM
Inciting Riots
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc C
Well my order arrived this morning, less than 10 working days after uploading the files to PBCWing.

What can I say, they are bloody fantastic (will put up a photo later). Professionally made, and all tested (the free tests are all part of the process). Above all, I had excellent communications with one of the sales staff, which made the whole process painless. - Total cost was 111.00 for 6 boards including priority FedEX shipment (less than 3 days from pick up to delivery), plus I received 15% in discount coupons for next order.

Guys - I highly recommend using PCBWing
Are these those giant sized boards you showed earlier?
Sep 24, 2010, 02:08 PM
Not quite, I re-designed them to reduce the area, but they still ended up 163mm x 125mm

Wang at PCBWing sent me a picture the day they were sent, which I've attached. I'll take some pictures this weekend and post them up later