Thread Tools
Jul 30, 2010, 09:36 PM
Registered User

On the airplane front wing it is a fin that can move up and down. What does it call?

On the airplane front wing (the biggest wing) it is a fin that can move up and down. What does it call?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jul 30, 2010, 09:54 PM
Registered User
I think you mean the Ailerons. They are on the trailing edges of the wing, and cause the plane to roll.
Jul 30, 2010, 09:58 PM
Plane Destroyer / Life Enjoyer
airbagit13's Avatar
Could be Cunards, i think thats how you spell it.
Jul 30, 2010, 09:59 PM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
freechip's Avatar
On some real aircraft, the front part of the wing will also deflect. Slats are used at takeoff and landing to produce additional force.
Jul 31, 2010, 07:14 AM
RIP Azarr - "Old age is not for sissies"
Azarr's Avatar
It's a canard.

Jul 31, 2010, 09:27 AM
Registered User
LesUyeda's Avatar
English language is interesting indeed. I have no idea why, but when I see "fin", I immediately think of a vertical plate, not a horizontal one. I have been too lazy to look up the definitions.

Jul 31, 2010, 09:34 AM
Registered User
You're correct, Les. The fin is called the "vertical stabilizer" on the diagram. I figure if FIN is good enough for sharks, it's good enough for me.

Jul 31, 2010, 09:39 AM
#define answer_universe 42
I would think he is taking about the slats on the leading edge of the wing.

Fin - Flipper - Flipflops ,,,, is that the progression.
Aug 01, 2010, 07:32 AM
Registered User
mlehman's Avatar
Originally Posted by speedy72vega
I think you mean the Ailerons. They are on the trailing edges of the wing, and cause the plane to roll.
this is what he is asking about, the ailerons
Aug 01, 2010, 09:24 AM
Suspended Account
Originally Posted by smashrc
On the airplane front wing (the biggest wing) it is a fin that can move up and down. What does it call?
This rules out Cannards (I think) since the biggest wing is in the back. Leading edge slats seems like the thing he's asking about. I think. Or I guess I think. I have no idea.
Aug 01, 2010, 11:37 AM
characters welcome!
Mark Wood's Avatar
Ailerons. READ the question.

Aug 01, 2010, 10:02 PM
#define answer_universe 42
Originally Posted by mark wood
ailerons. Read the question.

I did. But I still wonder what kind of fin moves up and down. Fins normally are considered to move to the left and right. Flippers normally are considered to move up and down. As do elevators and ailerons.

Even then I still wonder about the front wing statement. Is the op speaking of two wings? One in the front and one in the rear. Would that be a biplane?

Or perhaps it is a question about canards, as they do have an up/down movement similar to elevators and ailerons.

Maybe I am just a dullard?
Aug 02, 2010, 12:51 AM
Registered User
Occam's Razor..... The simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

With a foreign language as his/her primary and english secondary ("What does it call?"), and without apriori knowledge of an airframe, he/she's describing ailerons.
Aug 02, 2010, 11:05 AM
Senile Member
Lnagel's Avatar
I have known a lot of English speaking people who are unfamiliar with aircraft terminology call the wing and horizontal stabilizer the front wing and the back wing. And they usually refer to all of the control surfaces as those flap thingies. So I do not find it surprising for a person with minimal command of the English language refering to an aileron as a fin that moves up and down on the front wing.

And it might surprise People who are familiar with aircraft terminology and whose primary language is English that they can speak a little bit of French. Aircraft terms such as fuselage, empenage, decalage and aileron are all names for various aircraft parts and configurations that came from the French language.

Aug 02, 2010, 01:54 PM
Maintain Thine Airspeed !
Redbrickman's Avatar
I believe the OP is referring to wing slats, not ailerons. You see them on some large jet passenger aircraft.

They extend out of the leading edge of the wing. They improve what is referred to as the boundary layer airflow over the wing, in essence keeping the air close to the wing tight and giving better lift.

See this wiki for a more detailed explanation and more pictures.

I just realized the last time I thought about the physics of slats was about 1974 when I was an airframe apprentice

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion does the elavator servo move up and down with rudder inputs MSR user0125 Micro Helis 9 Mar 13, 2010 02:07 AM
Sold Measure your airplane's speed with this unit that mounts on the wing verticalflight Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 1 Sep 17, 2009 06:18 PM
Why does elevetor only move about 10 degrees down and 45 degrees up? xray328 Electric Plane Talk 6 Aug 29, 2005 06:36 AM
Move that wing so I can see the TV. Lightnin Electric Plane Talk 27 Aug 11, 2003 08:06 PM