Nov 24, 2020, 08:56 PM
Paper Plane Scratch Builder
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniellipse
Any suggestions on how to fix this? I was thinking to patch it over with some light weigth fiberglass cloth and epoxy.
Honestly, I would use clear packing tape and leave it at that. That covering is thin carbon fiber as I recall and while it does add structural integrity as a part of the D-Box construction, I do not believe it is necessary for that small of damage to do any more than maybe hit it with CA around the edges to keep the crack from spreading and then use clear packing tape. I don't use the CA generally but you may if you believe it is necessary.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 24, 2020, 09:10 PM
However ... having enlarged the picture it may not hurt to add carbon fiber there. I would not use fiberglass to be honest. Here are two links, one for a member here that has sold CF repair kits in the recent past and one for a vendor that sells Textreme CF tape. It really is your call; I would probably go for the CA and clear packing tape and see how solid you feel the wing to be. The problem with using CF and epoxy or even FG and epoxy is the weight gain.

PM the guy below and see if he can help you.

Soarerf3j

The Spread Tow Tape you would use with epoxy. Work carefully with it as it is essentially a ribbon of CF strands.

Textreme 5016 tape
Nov 25, 2020, 02:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lufo
However ... having enlarged the picture it may not hurt to add carbon fiber there. I would not use fiberglass to be honest. Here are two links, one for a member here that has sold CF repair kits in the recent past and one for a vendor that sells Textreme CF tape. It really is your call; I would probably go for the CA and clear packing tape and see how solid you feel the wing to be. The problem with using CF and epoxy or even FG and epoxy is the weight gain.

PM the guy below and see if he can help you.

Soarerf3j

The Spread Tow Tape you would use with epoxy. Work carefully with it as it is essentially a ribbon of CF strands.

Textreme 5016 tape
Ok. Thanks for the tips. I might have some similar stuff that I can use.
Nov 25, 2020, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniellipse
Ok. Thanks for the tips. I might have some similar stuff that I can use.
In my view, this is not a high stress area so really the tape would probably be OK. If you notice on the wing, not all of the D-BOX is
glued at the leading edge ribs; the area that is damaged is not carrying a lot of stress in my view, mostly only to form the leading edge
where the two wing halves meet at the center apex. Tape is the lightest way to go, CF and epoxy will be the heaviest.
Dec 28, 2020, 11:51 AM
in awe of glide...
I know it has been a while but....

I reinforced the wing root w some FG cloth as a preventative measure. The weight gain did not measure on my gram scale from what I recall. It was very light fiberglass. It is probably overkill knowing what I know now but it does work. Ideally, some light carbon fabric as Lufo mentioned above.

I had similar but smaller damge on the leading edge that I repaired successfully w a little CA and clear plastic tape. It has held up fine.
Last edited by Kirkerik; Dec 28, 2020 at 12:04 PM.
Jan 31, 2021, 07:19 AM

Compatibility transiter/Elf

Hi everybody,

Just order for an Elf
I have home 2 receivers I can use for it :
FlySky FS-iA6 2.4G 6CH AFHDS (6ch, 6gr)
or
FS2A 4CH AFHDS 2A (4ch, 1gr)

Can you confirm if the biggest one can be fit in the fuselage and if both can be used with the Elf carbon fuselage without any problem ?
Thanks for your help.
Jan 31, 2021, 07:42 AM
I don’t know the size of the larger receiver, and you have not listed it.

The maximum receiver size is shown on our elf page in the recommended RC section.

Kind regards Neil
www.Hyperflight.co.Uk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jan 31, 2021, 10:33 AM
Thanks for your fast reply.
The biggest receiver FS IA6 is L 40 x W 21 x H 8 (H not including the connectors pins). The pins, at 90° from de Length, are adding 7mm in H, then 14mm. Then, I understand that it will be probably not fitting because the excessive H.

The FS2A, with only 1 aerial, is a lot smaller and the pins can be welded like on the picture.
Can I use it in the Elf carbon fuselage if the aerial is going out through a small hole ?
Jan 31, 2021, 10:40 AM
Just fly it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piaf
Thanks for your fast reply.

The FS2A, with only 1 aerial, is a lot smaller and the pins can be welded like on the picture.
Can I use it in the Elf carbon fuselage if the aerial is going out through a small hole ?
Yes, you can. I am using the same rx in the Elf for years now and never had a problem with it.
But mine bound as a Frsky rx.
Jan 31, 2021, 01:35 PM
Good news. Thanks BarnOwl.
Jan 31, 2021, 01:41 PM
Yes, use end pin receivers of the appropriate size. I found the top pin arrangement just did not work very well.
Jan 31, 2021, 02:55 PM
After some crashes I complete destroyed original plastic fuselage. So I dicide to build new fuselage. Here is my ugly version of new fuselage for Elf.

It consits from:
- frame from 0.5 mm FR-4 + 3 mm balsa + 0.5 mm FR-4
- shell from 3 mm balsa covered by epoxy & fiberglass
- EPP nose

Complete wight for now with Spectrum AR6100E Rx & battery - 65g. I use Power HD1370A servos. Original diamond servos died with smoke

It remains to make a cockpit and nuts for wing mount, but I have not decided yet how it will look.
Jan 31, 2021, 04:40 PM
Just fly it!
Nicely done! Destroyed old body in lipo fire?
Jan 31, 2021, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sardonyx
After some crashes I complete destroyed original plastic fuselage. So I dicide to build new fuselage. Here is my ugly version of new fuselage for Elf.

It consits from:
- frame from 0.5 mm FR-4 + 3 mm balsa + 0.5 mm FR-4
- shell from 3 mm balsa covered by epoxy & fiberglass
- EPP nose

Complete wight for now with Spectrum AR6100E Rx & battery - 65g. I use Power HD1370A servos. Original diamond servos died with smoke

It remains to make a cockpit and nuts for wing mount, but I have not decided yet how it will look.
Very nice sardonyx. So the all up weight is 65 grams! Wow, that is 30 or so grams under the factory ELF. What did you use for a tail boom and how will you attach the wing?
Jan 31, 2021, 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lufo
Very nice sardonyx. So the all up weight is 65 grams! Wow, that is 30 or so grams under the factory ELF. What did you use for a tail boom and how will you attach the wing?
There is complete weight of fuselage w/o wing. The wing adds approx. 30g. Sorry for the inaccurate description. Tail boom - original, already repaired with 10cm piece on front. I'm planing to glue 2 nuts to the frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl
Destroyed old body in lipo fire?
No. The fault is the solid ground. Many times

Quick Reply